Savage 110 Ultralite in 6.5 PRC - Will be updated often as I go

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
they just won a contract with USSOCOM,,, they will provide the barrels for the next gen of rifles
Have you heard any news on getting all the .308s out to be replaced with 6.5cm.
I got to hold a hand full of the new well new to the SEALs plastic cased 6.5 ammo.
Pretty wild.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Well I finally hunted with the Ultralite in 6.5 PRC. I opted for the Sako S20 in .300 Win Mag in Kentucky, but wish I'd used the 6.5 PRC instead. That's a story for another day. I really can't bring myself to type it all up just yet, another day....

At any rate... I took the 6.5 Out this morning. I had deer all over me before shooting light. I could have easily shot one with the Strike Eagle and the moonlight, but I try to beat back the redneck.... Come daylight I didn't see anything at all. I had used my Deadly Attraction Grunt/Bleat call off and on this morning and was just on the verge of lowering my gun when I decided to really give that grunt call what for. I went at it for about five minutes looking around the whole time and see this joker coming in like he's on a string right at me. Pretty as you please he turns broadside at 45 yards. Sent one right behind the shoulder. I immediately knew he was done for, 20 yard death stumble and it was over. I'd say these two deer are related..... I killed the skull in 2020. I've killed so many deer out of this one tree that I don't even scout the area. I just go sit and about 80% of the time I'm covered in them.

Surprisingly enough I found the bullet hanging in the jell-o on the exit. I had about 70% jacket separation, not sure what to think about that yet, but overall I'm pleased with the results. I'll need to shoot a few more before I trust it in Kentucky or at my place in Wisconsin.8BUK2.jpg8BUKDRG.jpg8BUK2021.jpg

Last edited:

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
@UncleFester How are you liking that Ultralite a few years into shooting it? I'm looking at getting one it .308Win for shooting and hunting.

<>< Fish
I still like the gun plenty and will kill more with it if I'm able. I killed two more with it after this one and both of them were DRT. My problem is I have this freaking disease called gun addiction. I've got more than ten guns I've not even fired yet.... it's bad.

In saying that I'd buy one in .308 in a heartbeat if the right deal came along. Extremely accurate guns.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My problem is I have this freaking disease called gun addiction. I've got more than ten guns I've not even fired yet.... it's bad.
It must be a regional thing... I know of at least 4 people in or from the Polk/Rutherford county area that are in the same situation.

I've got more than a couple that I've had for over a decade that still have the hang tags on them. I've got one that I bought the year I graduated high school that fits that bill.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I still like the gun plenty and will kill more with it if I'm able. I killed two more with it after this one and both of them were DRT. My problem is I have this freaking disease called gun addiction. I've got more than ten guns I've not even fired yet.... it's bad.

In saying that I'd buy one in .308 in a heartbeat if the right deal came along. Extremely accurate guns.

Thanks for the info. I understand as I'm always looking at new items or things I want to build myself.

<>< Fish

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Still happy with the Strike Eagles?

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Still happy with the Strike Eagles?
You wouldn't believe this, but five minutes ago I had the Ultralight in my hands. Yes I do still like the gun and scope. I have 3 of the Strike Eagles now. If I'm able to make Kentucky next month I'm going exclusively 6.5PRC and taking the Sako and Savage 6.5's. They both shoot lights out with Hornady Precision Hunter 143grn ELDX factory ammo.

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You wouldn't believe this, but five minutes ago I had the Ultralight in my hands. Yes I do still like the gun and scope. I have 3 of the Strike Eagles now. If I'm able to make Kentucky next month I'm going exclusively 6.5PRC and taking the Sako and Savage 6.5's. They both shoot lights out with Hornady Precision Hunter 143grn ELDX factory ammo.
You going early so you don't freeze? Never mind, nexy month is November.