Sausage with birdshot

hayco10

Eight Pointer
I have a place in eastern part of state that makes venison/pork sausage from hams I debone and freeze, and take after the deer season ends. The last few pounds have had a lead pellet in it. These are one pound packages. Are folks shooting at deer and the pellets are piercing hide and imbedding in ham muscles? Most places the deer came from are where the owners want all deer removed.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^That was my thought. I think I would have seen evidence of a deer getting shot with birdshot when I cleaned it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
When I read the title "sausage and birdshot" I thought I was gonna see a recipe for some funky breakfast gruel with all kinds of grains in it,,,,,,,

hayco10

Eight Pointer
Out of 8 hams and 140 pounds of sausage made, 5 pellets have been found after consuming about half the sausage

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I processed one myself that had bird shot in it and never saw evidence of it being shot. Probably like people, wounds that small heal over.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I found buckshot pellets int he 1st deer I ever killed w/ my centerfire. There was no evidence of a wound.