Sat afternoon dove hunt

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Not too hot and some breeze. Weren’t a ton of doves but the power line decoys certainly helped. Don’t shoot like I used to. 60 shells for a limit of doves and 4 pigeons. But It was a fun afternoon in the field.

Attachments

• C2BA261B-FB03-40B8-B732-58BFFE05C679.jpeg
    C2BA261B-FB03-40B8-B732-58BFFE05C679.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 37

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
popped a few yesterday afternoon. pick up 7 n a pigeon. lost a cpl in the bean field. and missed a few where a pile of feathers came down but birds flew off. fun afternoon

Attachments

• 30D27356-7CCA-4BF7-80F3-9E60ABF1A59D.jpeg
    30D27356-7CCA-4BF7-80F3-9E60ABF1A59D.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 11

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
DE-NC, having been a telecommunications lineman for 25 years I am curious about how to set up "powerline decoys". The answer could be shocking!😯🙈💀 BTW, love your Remington semi-auto. 12 gauge? What size shot do you use? Congrats! Sure looks like fun.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
@BigBow I've seen them set up by tieing the decoy to a fishing line and casting it across the line. reel just enough so that the weight of the rod keeps the line tight, and leave the rod standing on the ground on end. The decoy sits just a hair lower than a normal bird sitting on the line, but they fly right to them.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
DE-NC, having been a telecommunications lineman for 25 years I am curious about how to set up "powerline decoys". The answer could be shocking!😯🙈💀 BTW, love your Remington semi-auto. 12 gauge? What size shot do you use? Congrats! Sure looks like fun.
20 ga. 7.5/8 shot. Fishing rod. Weight on end. Cast over. Reel enough line to get under line. Cut weight. Tie decoy pull up tight with back facing line. Lie rod down and keep decoy tight. Put weight (heavy rock or brick)on tip of rod. You don’t want decoy and line twisted in a knot up there or you might have a hard time getting it down. I have had to shoot em down. Finished hunting. Now open bail and decoy will drop. Cut it off and tie weight back on. Ready for next hunt. This way seems much easier than trying to cast a light decoy over a high wire.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Dove decoy(s) on a line will out pull any decoy spread on the ground, including one with a mojo.

no doubt. had many a great hunt with decoys on wire. its a must when hunting byself or just a few others in a big field. key is to find a wire near field and far enough away you wont pepper a house.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So you're saying you do this with power lines. The ones with electricity...not the old phone lines. Is that what Im reading?

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
So you're saying you do this with power lines. The ones with electricity...not the old phone lines. Is that what Im reading?

The results are shocking. Just be sure to use braid…and moisten it for the best conduct of the decoying practice.

…and take your shoes off so you can use your toes / bare feet for a good casting stance.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Disclaimer: Don't take my word for this Tipmoose, but DRY monofilament fishing is typically made of nylon or PET/PETE which does not conduct electricity. Not an expert, but I personally would not want to try the "powerline decoy" method if it was raining w/ lightning in the area.🤔

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The results are shocking. Just be sure to use braid…and moisten it for the best conduct of the decoying practice.

…and take your shoes off so you can use your toes / bare feet for a good casting stance.
You are no help @ all.🤕

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
So you & DE-NC are the ones personally responsible😉 for shooting that "old phone line" that put dozens of landline telephone customers out of service on a late Sat. afternoon, that kept me out until midnight isolating & then repairing dozens of cable pairs on a 28' ladder tied off mid-span.🤨 Retired now, thank the Lord, but I still remember having crow's feet after standing on a ladder rung for hours on end.☹

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So you & DE-NC are the ones personally responsible😉 for shooting that "old phone line" that put dozens of landline telephone customers out of service on a late Sat. afternoon, that kept me out until midnight isolating & then repairing dozens of cable pairs on a 28' ladder tied off mid-span.🤨 Retired now, thank the Lord, but I still remember having crow's feet after standing on a ladder rung for hours on end.☹
Ive never shot a dove off a powerline or a phone line. However...back in my youth...I once shot an escaped parrot off power lines behind my neighbors house using a crossman BB gun. Eight pumps. Wasn't expecting the impact to be base of the skull. Also in my youth, I've been known to shoot the glass insulators just to hear the funny 'tink' sound it made. ;)

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Ive never shot a dove off a powerline or a phone line. However...back in my youth...I once shot an escaped parrot off power lines behind my neighbors house using a crossman BB gun. Eight pumps. Wasn't expecting the impact to be base of the skull. Also in my youth, I've been known to shoot the glass insulators just to hear the funny 'tink' sound it made. ;)
Ok, I'll have to give you a pass then. Back in my clueless youth, I shot w/ my Benjamin .22 pump airgun boatloads of English Sparrows, Starlings & the occasional Mockingbirds🤐 that harassed by beloved Bluebirds & Bluebird boxes. I can honestly say🤥 that they were not perched on the aerial telephone cable.😉

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Us common folk always called them “power lines” since as long as I can remember. Doubt I’ll change now. Even though they are telephone lines.

I always try to shoot them before they get to the line or stand up and scare em off and shoot em. But I once took a friend and he shot em off the line. And a colored lady came running out a trailer screaming at us about the phone lines weren’t work right no more and she was calling sheriff. And he came and we left.
But we killed many a dove in that little field over the years and had several confrontations with the same woman abt shooting up her phone line.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
doves disappeared. only 1. 2 crows 1 pigeon.
had a hawk swoop in and grab a decoy and pull it off line and to the ground and pounced on it . he wasnt to far away when i stood up. he knew he messed up. he didnt make the tailgate pic lol

Attachments

• 261A31A4-92C0-4444-81A8-E9495C055702.jpeg
    261A31A4-92C0-4444-81A8-E9495C055702.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 590E1D7C-E77B-4035-844C-19642194A705.jpeg
    590E1D7C-E77B-4035-844C-19642194A705.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 15