Sapony creek?

Tunit34

Button Buck
I have heard a lot about sapony creek being a great place to bass fish but I have no idea where this mythical place is on the reservoir lol is there a place I can launch a kayak there? I’ve never caught a damn thing on the reservoir but have heard so much about sapony, just can’t access it

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Launch at ramp on old carriage road and go towards i95 when you go under the bridge you’ll be in sapony creek.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The boat ramp on Old Carriage is on the Sapony Creek part of the Rocky Mount NC Reservoir. If you go left you go up stream I-95 is several miles. A right will take you to the mouth at the Tar River, just a little ways down stream of the boat ramp off Bend of the River Road. I caught nice fish all over the lake. Fish right off the ends of the docks by the houses at the I-95 bridge. In that area the flats are wide with a few stumps but a few of those docks sit right off the small winding creek channel. I have had luck between there and the Westmont Drive Bridge too. Fishing the weed line on the drop offs of the creek bank. This time of year top water on the flats, if they are feeding on shad can be awesome. Any were from the I-95 bridge to the islands the where the flats drop off into the creek channel can produce. The creek winds like a snake down through there. I have caught a many a bass up around the NC 58 bridge, lots of stumps on the submerged river bank. Go further up stream and you have Jacob's swamp on the right and another small creek on the left. It's all just like any other place I have fished, you just have to learn were the fish are and keep up with them. With a kayak, you might want to fish between the Reservoir dam (down stream) just beware of the Davenport Mill dam a couple miles down. It is about a mile above Lyman's Ferry bridge on Halifax Rd. There is a kayak lunch on the east side of Halifax Rd. on the north side of the bridge. From there on to Sunset park the river offers some great fishing too. Use caution the river can be unforgiving, especially during times of high water. Good luck and no I haven't told you all of my favorite spots. 😁 Just some of them.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The boat ramp on Old Carriage is on the Sapony Creek part of the Rocky Mount NC Reservoir. If you go left you go up stream I-95 is several miles. A right will take you to the mouth at the Tar River, just a little ways down stream of the boat ramp off Bend of the River Road. I caught nice fish all over the lake. Fish right off the ends of the docks by the houses at the I-95 bridge. In that area the flats are wide with a few stumps but a few of those docks sit right off the small winding creek channel. I have had luck between there and the Westmont Drive Bridge too. Fishing the weed line on the drop offs of the creek bank. This time of year top water on the flats, if they are feeding on shad can be awesome. Any were from the I-95 bridge to the islands the where the flats drop off into the creek channel can produce. The creek winds like a snake down through there. I have caught a many a bass up around the NC 58 bridge, lots of stumps on the submerged river bank. Go further up stream and you have Jacob's swamp on the right and another small creek on the left. It's all just like any other place I have fished, you just have to learn were the fish are and keep up with them. With a kayak, you might want to fish between the Reservoir dam (down stream) just beware of the Davenport Mill dam a couple miles down. It is about a mile above Lyman's Ferry bridge on Halifax Rd. There is a kayak lunch on the east side of Halifax Rd. on the north side of the bridge. From there on to Sunset park the river offers some great fishing too. Use caution the river can be unforgiving, especially during times of high water. Good luck and no I haven't told you all of my favorite spots. 😁 Just some of them.
Super post @DRS
If you cant catch them now @Tunit34 the NCWRC will revoke your permit. :)
I'm kidding- it's always hard to "catch another man's fish" But you have as good of specific detail as you are likely to ever get.
I looked up the creek you mentioned just to see and if i am looking at it right it is one of those creek situations where the fish will "move" into sometime between now and Thanksgiving offering some good action. Or at least that's the way it works on many small reservoirs.

Good Luck.

Reactions: DRS