Santa needs advice

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Santa is thinking of getting 12, 13 year old a flipping stick for Christmas. I know nothing about them. Let's keep combo under $200 if we can. He'll probably prefer a bait caster. Steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
13 fishing fate black 7’4” heavy and an Abu Garcia revo x. Good combo and rod and reel will be well below 200 dollars. Throw in a spool of segaur 20 lb fluro and he will be set.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Just go to bass pro and pick out some combos. 7’+ and a 7.1 gear ratio +

Some good super line. 20#
A few jigs and trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Santa did fairly good this Christmas. He delivered a 7'-6" MH fast Action Rod and a Reel geared 7:1 based on a buddy's recommendation. Little man put the line on it got to messing with it, no drag!!!! Drag would not work. Filed a return slip, got the directions on what to do with the "broke" one. New one was in the mail on Monday. Put the line on it, done the exact same thing. Drag would not hold. I looked at him and said "are you putting braid on that?" and he says yep. I told him to take it off and put mono on it and it worked just fine. Spindle didn't have any holes in it and we didn't think about taping it. Go figure. The braid was just spinning on the spindle. Ho Well. Now just get the time to go get it wet.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
practice getting past the bird nests and obtaining accuracy flipping to a couple 'targets' in the yard (no hooks)
best of luck to the young man, although looks like he's got some of that already .

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Santa did fairly good this Christmas. He delivered a 7'-6" MH fast Action Rod and a Reel geared 7:1 based on a buddy's recommendation. Little man put the line on it got to messing with it, no drag!!!! Drag would not work. Filed a return slip, got the directions on what to do with the "broke" one. New one was in the mail on Monday. Put the line on it, done the exact same thing. Drag would not hold. I looked at him and said "are you putting braid on that?" and he says yep. I told him to take it off and put mono on it and it worked just fine. Spindle didn't have any holes in it and we didn't think about taping it. Go figure. The braid was just spinning on the spindle. Ho Well. Now just get the time to go get it wet.

Hu?
Tie a better knot to the spool.

Sounds like a real treat!
I love bass smacking

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hu?
Tie a better knot to the spool.

Sounds like a real treat!
I love bass smacking

Braid will spin on a solid spoil. Even on my spinning reels, we taped them to keep it from spinning, even the man at the store tapes them

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Braid will spin on a solid spoil. Even on my spinning reels, we taped them to keep it from spinning, even the man at the store tapes them
you can also use mono as backing for the braid to save the expensive braid in filling the reel.
Tell your son to learn to pitch versus flip in the beginning. That way you wont have to keep the boat in flipping range and he can flip cast and cover more water without messing the rest of you up.
if he can use the long pole for bream he wont have any trouble.
Send us some pics.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
you can also use mono as backing for the braid to save the expensive braid in filling the reel.
Tell your son to learn to pitch versus flip in the beginning. That way you wont have to keep the boat in flipping range and he can flip cast and cover more water without messing the rest of you up.
if he can use the long pole for bream he wont have any trouble.
Send us some pics.

that's the issue that we have. I bream fish, and he wants to bass fish. He'll be able to reach the spots that he wants to fish with no problems.

The fun part is going to be when I rig that little 2' spinning pole up for my oldest to bream fish with. :cool:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Well it looks like fun time for all.
I will warn you though (based on my "fond" memories} they are about to decide they can run the boat better than you.
My father and I about pulled the boat apart with each of us trying to tell the other one where we should fish.
And there was only one of me, and at least we were on the same page about which species to catch. It was fly rods for brim or other tackle for crappie or bass.
Yall gonna have some interesting trips. :)
Go with them every time they will get in the boat.
You will always be glad you did.

His braid may start turning white after several trips. Just take a sharpie permanent marker and black it up. That stuff is incredible for lasting.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I will warn you though (based on my "fond" memories} they are about to decide they can run the boat better than you.
My father and I about pulled the boat apart with each of us trying to tell the other one where we should fish.
And there was only one of me, and at least we were on the same page about which species to catch. It was fly rods for brim or other tackle for crappie or bass.

His braid may start turning white after several trips. Just take a sharpie permanent marker and black it up. That stuff is incredible for lasting.

I have a rod your dad built. I need to get it back from a buddy and get Preston to re do the blank and preserve your dads name.
Dang..
Mike Hyatt gave me the rod in the early 2000s as a gift.
He used it for years. I wonder what year it was built.. hmm?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have a rod your dad built. I need to get it back from a buddy and get Preston to re do the blank and preserve your dads name.
Dang..
Mike Hyatt gave me the rod in the early 2000s as a gift.
He used it for years. I wonder what year it was built.. hmm?

if you can make out any of the numbers on the blank he coded them by year. Sometimes. He started in the early 80s.
By the way my Mom did all the tough work. The scripting and the epoxy finishing.
She might get a kick out of "redoing " the script if you wanted to look at that.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
if you can make out any of the numbers on the blank he coded them by year. Sometimes. He started in the early 80s.
By the way my Mom did all the tough work. The scripting and the epoxy finishing.
She might get a kick out of "redoing " the script if you wanted to look at that.

Yea for sure. It would be sweet to upgrade the eyes on it and redo all the type.
I think he gave it to me because the tip was broken and the tip eye replaced. It’s stiff as a board but still over 6.6
Made a great close quarters flipping broom handle.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

If it's just me and both boys it works pretty good. I'll run the foot control and Matthew will sit on the cooler right behind me and we'll let the youngest have the back of the boat. The good wife has about quit going due to the fact that it gets a little crowded at times and she is constantly ducking the bass lures.

But yes, we had a good year last year and I hope this year is even better.