Sandhills Oysters

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Excellent eating, but like Rocky Mountain oysters they're best eaten right away until all are consumed; they don't do well warmed over later.

My FIL used to belong to the Moose lodge in Denver, CO and they served RMO's every Monday night. We rarely missed a meal there on Monday.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
they're best eaten right away until all are consumed; they don't do well warmed over later.

thanks for that info,,, I didn't have any left after a few minutes so didn't test that but will keep in mind when preparing future ones!!

some things get better when reheated as leftovers (stew, soup, my daughter's Oxtail recipe),, and some don't - most fried foods don't in my opinion (except chicken!!)

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Chuckeye steaks used to be pretty cheap, too. As a meat market manager told me, "They were until people started finding out about them. ". I like the thick ones. Like them almost as good as my first choice..ribeye with nice amount of fat. 🤤🤤

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Chuckeye steaks used to be pretty cheap, too. As a meat market manager told me, "They were until people started finding out about them. ". I like the thick ones. Like them almost as good as my first choice..ribeye with nice amount of fat. 🤤🤤

I learned something in texas that I am taking to the next get-together,,, just for my bud @NCST8GUY ,,, and no it ain't oysters,,, them won't last that long

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I can eat a bushel of saltwater Oysters! This story kind of reminds me of an experience @ a buffet in Wilmington. Loaded up my plate on what I thought were great big fried Oysters. 1st bite I spit it back into my napkin...turns out those giant size "Fried Oysters" were actually chicken livers.🤮 I might could eat deer balls only under the condition that I did not have a clue what I was eating.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
@woodmoose was listening to the meat eater podcast yesterday and they were discussing eating testicles. Someone mentioned squirrel nuts. I thought of this thread and figure if there’s someone here ready to give it a try it’s you

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Merry @woodmoose was listening to the meat eater podcast yesterday and they were discussing eating testicles. Someone mentioned squirrel nuts. I thought of this thread and figure if there’s someone here ready to give it a try it’s you

hors d'oeuvre I assume as it would take a LOT of squirrels to make a meal of that!!

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Serious question @woodmoose , is there anything even debatably edible that you don't like?

I'm with @woodmoose thus far. Everything he's prepared and shared has looked delicious!! Now chitlins, I do prefer them with hot vinegar. Just like boiled pig feet. The latter do make your lips a little sticky. Like glue factory. lol. Hog brains and scrambled eggs, too. But, with chitlins, I prefer not to see little pieces of corn floating around. 🤤🤤

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
is there anything even debatably edible that you don't like?

hhmmm,,, don't like? Sure,,, lets' see,,, I "don't like" cake, prefer pie (even for birthdays) but if there ain't no pie then pass the cake!

then there's things that at first I didn't like (like okra) but I got over that fast!

as far as meat? nope, not that I can recall,,, though I haven't tried everything yet,,, working on it

well there was this one meal served to us at the end of a gig in Jordan (worked with the current King who was then a Captain in their Special Operations/Counter Terrorism unit),,,

not sure what they did to that rice concoction, but the taste was not for me,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
hhmmm,,, don't like? Sure,,, lets' see,,, I "don't like" cake, prefer pie (even for birthdays) but if there ain't no pie then pass the cake!

then there's things that at first I didn't like (like okra) but I got over that fast!

as far as meat? nope, not that I can recall,,, though I haven't tried everything yet,,, working on it

well there was this one meal served to us at the end of a gig in Jordan (worked with the current King who was then a Captain in their Special Operations/Counter Terrorism unit),,,

not sure what they did to that rice concoction, but the taste was not for me,,,

there are some sauces I don't care for, and some meat preparation methods I don't care for (like cooking venison WRONG) but the cuts themselves,,,,

yum

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
A little bigger than Sandhills oysters. This guy has some pretty good and interesting recipes and cooking techniques. In one he kills a goat, puts butchered meat in goat's fur, digs a hole, adds coals I think, and puts the "wrapped" meat in hole. Nice scenery and has a place I'd like to have to get away. Sorry for long winded...He shows how to prepare the oysters. I think I would prefer woodmoose's cooking method, but I would certainly eat the kabobs.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
We worked an ice storm in Oklahoma City 03 or 04. We ate at the cattleman’s steak house. Several times for 6 weeks. They fed our guys lamb fries every time as an appetizer. Well they were good and was a great precursor to steaks there. Well two weeks in I asked the question. What part of the lamb this was. Yup lamb nuts. Only it’s I’ve tried.

willb

Eight Pointer
we used to castrate hogs like such.
pin them down, slice them out and slather the hog with what i thought was tar. it couldve been something else.
boy did they squeal

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
we used to castrate hogs like such.
pin them down, slice them out and slather the hog with what i thought was tar. it couldve been something else.
boy did they squeal

we did the pigs when they were young,, amazing how fast they heal from that,,, poor fellows,,,

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Chuckeye steaks used to be pretty cheap, too. As a meat market manager told me, "They were until people started finding out about them. ". I like the thick ones. Just found out recently an interesting piece of info concerning beef cuts. When you buy a Chuck Roast the Chuckeye Steak is a portion of that roast. I have been charcoal grilling whole Chuck Roast since.