Sandhills Gamelands: Turkey

HNT32

Button Buck
New to the area and turkey hunting in general, but wanted to try and turkey hunt in the Sandhills Gamelands this year. I know you need to apply for a permit. I’m located in Pinehurst. Any thoughts on if hunting turkey in Sandhills is worth it or any other tips for possible places to check out? Any input is much appreciated.

Reactions: jug

HNT32

Button Buck
Much appreciate the replies. Is there any public land in the region with a turkey population worth checking out? Also, out of curiosity how come there is so little wildlife in the Sandhills Gamelands?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Much appreciate the replies. Is there any public land in the region with a turkey population worth checking out? Also, out of curiosity how come there is so little wildlife in the Sandhills Gamelands?
All the turkeys got killed last year due to everyone being out for Covid 🤪

KrisB

Ten Pointer

This will show you game lands in the region:

Go scout and see what you find. Good luck.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
New to the area and turkey hunting in general, but wanted to try and turkey hunt in the Sandhills Gamelands this year. I know you need to apply for a permit. I’m located in Pinehurst. Any thoughts on if hunting turkey in Sandhills is worth it or any other tips for possible places to check out? Any input is much appreciated.
if you start scouting there today and go every chance you get you might stumble on something.
Two years ago i applied and got drawn.
I had maps of their chufa fields, kind advice from the bios, recent intel from folks that worked there.
I went every weekend and walked and drove.
I was damned glad i tagged out before the permit hunt. :)

If you go start around some creek drainages.
and the guys are kidding about the lack of game.
For those that understand the sandhills it's golden.

TH80

Eight Pointer
I’m not around that area so I’m no help as to where to hunt but check out the link to the game lands map KrisB posted and check some of them out. You have plenty of time before season to find some spots and have back up plans for when someone beats you to your first spot. Scout as much as you can between now and then

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Whether its in NC or OOS, I hunt some places just because I want to try and kill a bird there.....may work out, may not.

But if Im trying to seriously find birds to hunt I pour thru tons of harvest data, trying to find areas that offer me the best chance. Then I start making contact with the locals and area workers of various state agencies.Then I go to that spot and start looking. It may be near Charlotte, it may be in Kansas. I find what fits my need and go to them, not the other way around.

DeerManager

Eight Pointer
I think the ones that have replied about no wildlife on the Sandhills Gamelands are messing with you, in a joking manner. I live in Moore County, however, I have never hunted the Sandhills Gamelands. Get out and scout and make your own opinions. Also, check out the gamelands in Montgomery County and check out Pee Dee Refuge in Anson and Richmond County for they have a select number of permit hunts.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Well, all I will say is that there are lots of turkeys on the sandhills. aint telling where but the 3 or 4 tracts I hunt I usually see 10-20 of them and if I dont see them I can hear them nearby. Come turkey season they are gone. Vanished.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are turkeys on the Sandhills but you gonna have to spend some time scouting.
Look for the fresh prescribed burns..... the birds won't be far.

Last edited: