Sandhills fox squirrel

old dog

Spike
Feeling pretty good about my gray squirrel skills and I am considering a trip down to the sandhills game lands to try for a fox squirrel. I have never been down there to hunt so here is what I heard:
go to Hoffman and inquire at the depot, fox squirrels like damp weather, they don't necessarily come out early and they like field edges. Any other words of wisdom?

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
Feeling pretty good about my gray squirrel skills and I am considering a trip down to the sandhills game lands to try for a fox squirrel. I have never been down there to hunt so here is what I heard:
go to Hoffman and inquire at the depot, fox squirrels like damp weather, they don't necessarily come out early and they like field edges. Any other words of wisdom?
I always see them on cloudy dreary days here in Davidson county got a pile of em on my 383 acres of pines... they do damage carrying off 20 ears of corn a piece and climb it up in the pine trees

Attachments

• 20191013_165109.jpg
    20191013_165109.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20191013_165631.jpg
    20191013_165631.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 85
  • 20191013_165509.jpg
    20191013_165509.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 82

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Actually they do come out early foraging, depending on temps and how far they have to travel they will be out early. If it is cold they will get out fill their belly and you will catch them up high in the big poplars and gums sunning to they get the urge to eat again. We used to think the dogs were running coons as they may track them 4-600 yards before they would finally find the tree they finally went up down there.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I always see them on cloudy dreary days here in Davidson county got a pile of em on my 383 acres of pines... they do damage carrying off 20 ears of corn a piece and climb it up in the pine trees
Didn’t know we had fox squirrels here in DC. I have lived and hunted here my whole life.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Didn’t know we had fox squirrels here in DC. I have lived and hunted here my whole life.
I don't know where he is at but there is a few isolated pods of them in places you would never think you would see them. I ran across them here several years back in a place and had I not been looking through a scope would have popped one. There was a small population in Davie up the S. Yadkin close to Woodleaf several years ago. I have no idea if they are there now or not.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have heard of some in Davidson as well near a water plant? got to check my map for sure but in a place like DC I would let them be.

I have my best luck with Fox squirrels in the sandhills in 1place. You have an open parklike pine forest then when you get near a creek bottom it goes from open forest to thick really quick. I kill most within 75 to 100 yards in the open pines but near the thick stuff.

One word of caution. wear plenty of Bug spray since the season is in early now. Chiggers are bad down there right now.
Don't ask me how I know. :cautious:

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I don't know where he is at but there is a few isolated pods of them in places you would never think you would see them. I ran across them here several years back in a place and had I not been looking through a scope would have popped one. There was a small population in Davie up the S. Yadkin close to Woodleaf several years ago. I have no idea if they are there now or not.
That’s cool to know. Learn something every day.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have heard of some in Davidson as well near a water plant? got to check my map for sure but in a place like DC I would let them be.

I have my best luck with Fox squirrels in the sandhills in 1place. You have an open parklike pine forest then when you get near a creek bottom it goes from open forest to thick really quick. I kill most within 75 to 100 yards in the open pines but near the thick stuff.

One word of caution. wear plenty of Bug spray since the season is in early now. Chiggers are bad down there right now.
Don't ask me how I know. :cautious:
I haven't been blessed with any chiggers yet and I have been down there a bunch, but I spray down anyway. The gnats can be relentless depending on where you are there though.

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
Off hwy 47 just past lumber yard on shiptontown rd... there's piles of them around every year in that thicket... have seen them since we purchased this place back in 2013-2014... I've seen these fox squirrels run off many deer and turkeys

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
Ive seen em on about 7 different properties friends own in silver valley and past Denton toward 49... ran into them on the lake only 4 or 5 times... bucks branch, the brick yard, cow pasture point' and in yachtsmen point

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Ive seen em on about 7 different properties friends own in silver valley and past Denton toward 49... ran into them on the lake only 4 or 5 times... bucks branch, the brick yard, cow pasture point' and in yachtsmen point
That is so cool, I live outside of Thomasville and never knew they were so close. I’ve saw a few in Southern Montgomery County.

Hrlhustler

Six Pointer
Yea all 6 stands I have down there have a minimum of 6 using got a all white body and face one with solid black tail and got I guess what one would call a piebald fox squirrel I'll try to find it on my laptop next time im at my parents

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Rainy drizzle is great weather for seeing fox squirrels. You can find fox squirrels on a sunny clear day but you will need to set for awhile in an area with longleaf and mix oak stands.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't been blessed with any chiggers yet and I have been down there a bunch, but I spray down anyway. The gnats can be relentless depending on where you are there though.
I did spray but only waist down. Little bastards got me up high. Lesson learned...

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
Image lifted from a video I shot on iPhone while sitting in my tree stand during a Pee Dee NWR gun hunt. Saw another one in all black phase, but it was too far away.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
I have seen them near Denton down by High Rock Lake. Used to run Montgomery county for Fedex and saw lots of them near Candor and Biscoe. Many down there are black with white mask. Those are Southeastern fox squirrels. Saw a midwestern fox squirrel in King. This subspecies is found in our northwestern mountains, and is extending its range in recent years. They are gray with an orange-ish belly..