Saltwater catch thread - 2021

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Hit the water again this past weekend. Near shore reefs in SW Florida about 8-10 miles off the beach and had some decent success. We were targeting mangrove snapper but were only able to land one for the ice box. We put a mixed bag in the cooler for some tacos and ceviche. The cobia are starting to show up underneath the turtles and out around the reefs. Things could get really good here if they start showing up in more numbers.

If ya'll know what a gold-hook-rig is you'll know it's not uncommon to hook multiple blues or multiple spanish but for the first time ever I hooked and landed three different fish on one cast. It was a first for me and pretty sweet, blue-runner, snapper, silver. Also, had a multi fish hookup with a school of blue runners on the gold-hook-rig but a cuda came through and ate the bottom fish on the spoon and three gold hooks. It still had the need to chase the last blue runner I had hooked on the top gold hook all the way to the boat. Darn toothy bastards. Fun stuff and as usual cut belly strips outfished live bait.

I'm looking forward to the fall fishing cause it's just going to keep getting better. Down here we have the sheephead spawn coming up this winter as well. Looking forward to some tight lines. Cheers.

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_195315863.jpg
    PXL_20210925_195315863.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 26

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Hit the water again this past weekend. Near shore reefs in SW Florida about 8-10 miles off the beach and had some decent success. We were targeting mangrove snapper but were only able to land one for the ice box. We put a mixed bag in the cooler for some tacos and ceviche. The cobia are starting to show up underneath the turtles and out around the reefs. Things could get really good here if they start showing up in more numbers.

If ya'll know what a gold-hook-rig is you'll know it's not uncommon to hook multiple blues or multiple spanish but for the first time ever I hooked and landed three different fish on one cast. It was a first for me and pretty sweet, blue-runner, snapper, silver. Also, had a multi fish hookup with a school of blue runners on the gold-hook-rig but a cuda came through and ate the bottom fish on the spoon and three gold hooks. It still had the need to chase the last blue runner I had hooked on the top gold hook all the way to the boat. Darn toothy bastards. Fun stuff and as usual cut belly strips outfished live bait.

I'm looking forward to the fall fishing cause it's just going to keep getting better. Down here we have the sheephead spawn coming up this winter as well. Looking forward to some tight lines. Cheers.

nice mixed bag. Surprised at only one mangrove.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fished a little on the beach today. Lots of bait taken, but not a lot grabbing a hook.

had two rods setup in rod holders and/or in the hand. One was rigged with a typical two hook rig. I was putting cut mullet on that one. Caught the biggest skate I have ever caught on that one. No a lot of fun there.

on the other rod, we had a single hook rig with a 7/0 circle hook and a live mullet. The mullet I caught with the cast net were the biggest I’ve ever caught with most of them around 8-9”. We had 3 of those get taken. The first one cut the top shot and we lost the whole rig. The second cut the line going to the hook off the rig. The third took the rod, reel, and rod holder. I ran it down and dove. I got the last couple of inches of rod and it slipped out of my hand. Luckily the line from the other rod in my right hand tangled up in the reel and I was able to get it back. Lost the nose piece off of my glasses during that fiasco. Fought whatever that was for a solid 15 minutes before it cut me off at the line going to the hook.

I don’t know what we are hooking....but I have a couple reels to strip down now.

they are cutting 30lb flouro. I guess I need to try wire?

open for advice.

Last edited:

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
nice mixed bag. Surprised at only one mangrove.

We had a bunch of mangrove around and they were coming up into the chum slick but couldn't get them to eat anything. Tried, cut bait, live bait on jigs, live bait on free-line, live bait on bottom, etc, etc, etc. They were not cooperating.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
We had a bunch of mangrove around and they were coming up into the chum slick but couldn't get them to eat anything. Tried, cut bait, live bait on jigs, live bait on free-line, live bait on bottom, etc, etc, etc. They were not cooperating.

that’s crazy.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Caught a sheepshead at Jeanette's Pier Sunday evening. We were thinking of leaving for home when we saw fish jumping, visible in the light at the end of the pier. Caught a couple ribbonfish. I'd never seen one before. Mine were about 32 in Long but I saw some caught up to 43 in. They are in the fridge ready to be cooked.

Attachments

• PXL_20210927_011715662.jpg
    PXL_20210927_011715662.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 46

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Caught a sheepshead at Jeanette's Pier Sunday evening. We were thinking of leaving for home when we saw fish jumping, visible in the light at the end of the pier. Caught a couple ribbonfish. I'd never seen one before. Mine were about 32 in Long but I saw some caught up to 43 in. They are in the fridge ready to be cooked.
Tasty fish

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fished about 8 hours on the beach yesterday. Very few bites. Very little bait stolen. Finally caught one flounder towards the end. 16”.

there was about a 20 minute span with a few bites and bait that was chewed off clean. I figured a small school of little blues had been through.

Dad and I went to Surf City Pier last night from about 8:00 to 2:00. Caught a bunch of tiny whiting. That’s about all.

TH80

Eight Pointer
Fished rose bay for a couple hours today. Managed 3 keeper trout 16”-17”. Bite was slow for me but I chose to sleep in but heard bite was real good till the sun got up good.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Spent several days at the beach this week fishing the surf. Pampano, flounder, over slot drum were caught. Spanish… and good ones to.. were there but wouldn’t hit a plug. Jumping just behind the breakers. Landed a half dozen or more of legal to 20” flounder… explaining to my oldest child why the the powers at be say they are a no go.

Fleas were spotty but seemed to be the bait of choice for the No’s. Fresh shrimp on a river rig caught the flatties.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Walked at ocean isle night before last to catch some shrimp for bait. Saw 34 flounder, around 3 limits legal size.....of course.

Once again, a 2 week season should have been in October. It was planned like that though I'm sure.