Saltwater boat vs Freshwater boat

JonBoy

Four Pointer
I bought a 1992 Stratos 289 FS with an Evinrude 200XP about 2 years ago and have only used it in freshwater. I would like to take it down to the coast maybe once a year to fish in the sound/intracoastal waterway to try to catch some flounder, trout, and drum. But I have no clue what/if there is a difference in engines used in saltwater vs freshwater as well as components on the boat. It has an evinrude trolling motor as well. Are there tolling motors that are specific to saltwater? I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid and end up ruining my boat (which is actually in really good shape for its age).

I know that everything would need to be washed down well and the motor flushed, but are those the main things to know when putting a boat in saltwater? Thanks for the help!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Would be hard to get all the salt water out of a boat like that.
The TM for that age would not last long. Most the electronics are not sealed and you will also have problems with the carpet and seats if steel components.
Just my gut but I would not want to be in any current or heavy waves in that type of boat.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Short answer is yes there are differences. Once or twice a year....it’s a boat use it, go catch fish. Some items may show some surface rust, clean your trailer down really well. Don’t just rinse your boat, wash it. Get some corrosion inhibitor and spray sensitive items like the trolling motor and other hardware. At the end of the day it’s still a boat that is made to get wet the salt is just harder on it.

venom17

Six Pointer
As WIldlifer said, its a boat use it. I used a bass boat in saltwater from 2000 to 2016 from Fla to NC until I bought a bay boat. Never had a problem with electronics or motor that any saltwater boat wouldn't have. Just wash motor and trailer each time and your good. I always used salt away while flushing the motor also. They run tourney's every weekend out of NB and have seen them as far Cedar Island.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Would be hard to get all the salt water out of a boat like that.
The TM for that age would not last long. Most the electronics are not sealed and you will also have problems with the carpet and seats if steel components.
Just my gut but I would not want to be in any current or heavy waves in that type of boat.
The boat itself isn't much different than a bay or flats boat. As you said, it's the carpet/components.

But more concerning than that would be the trailer. If you don't have a galvanized trailer I'd be really, really leery about dunking it in the salt, at least if I didn't later take it for a long dunk at a freshwater ramp.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The boat itself isn't much different than a bay or flats boat.

I would disagree with that.
The design and shape of a bass boat is a big difference than the bay boats they build now.
Not saying it will not work but seen several just like it with problems.
But a lot of that has to do with location. The rollers in the sound are far different than lakes and rivers.

Would like to see pictures in the water of the boat to see how much is above water.

la angler

Six Pointer
Just wash it really good and flush the engine out asap. A painted trailer doesn't do well in saltwater at all especially a drive on. The engine would be my least worry and they make saltwater trolling motors .

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you
I bought a 1992 Stratos 289 FS with an Evinrude 200XP about 2 years ago and have only used it in freshwater. I would like to take it down to the coast maybe once a year to fish in the sound/intracoastal waterway to try to catch some flounder, trout, and drum. But I have no clue what/if there is a difference in engines used in saltwater vs freshwater as well as components on the boat. It has an evinrude trolling motor as well. Are there tolling motors that are specific to saltwater? I just want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid and end up ruining my boat (which is actually in really good shape for its age).

I know that everything would need to be washed down well and the motor flushed, but are those the main things to know when putting a boat in saltwater? Thanks for the help!
You'll be fine.
Bass boats survive the Great Lakes every day in terms of waves and others have told you the precautions to take on your trailer and boat.
Have Fun!

JonBoy

Four Pointer
Thanks for the replies everyone. It does sit pretty low in the back, but I'm not too worried about the waves or current. I've been learning to navigate the boat in Lake Norman and been in some pretty rough conditions in terms of waves. It gets pretty choppy on the weekends with all these big wake boarding boats out.

It does sit on a painted trailer (not galvanized), so that's something I hadn't thought of. Also, I didn't know that saltwater boats had sealed components and electrical connections, but that makes complete sense. I think that's what could take the most hit on this boat as I know some of the connections already show corrosion.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can have it launched from most commercial marinas without the trailer and there are many products out there marketed that will help seal the electronics (most are in spray form and need time to set up so go ahead and do this even on a freshwater boat).
Use a good boatwash after the day of fun in saltwater and don't worry about the carpets or other surface areas, they'll be fine.
Take it to a spray carwash and don't use high pressure, just the soak and low pressure rinse and you'll save a lot of work getting the salt out while it's still wet from your day of fun.
Or..rent a saltwater boat and enjoy without worrying about your future issues, OPB are some of the best boats there are. Other People's Boats.

venom17

Six Pointer
Most all newer electronics now have a gasket seal for the plug. It is the connections to your fuse panel or battery that you have to seal off. As for the carpet, don't worry about it.. Never had a problem with either of the bass boats I had. Yes your trailer(if painted) will rust out from the inside if it is a tubular style. I drilled holes in the ends to assist with water removal.

And with the waves in the sounds or inter-coastal, they can get down right dangerous. I know you said that you have dealt with wakes but I guarantee they are nothing like the waves here. Here, they will stack on you and not let up. As long as you have common sense and read the weather you will be fine.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
One thing to add, find your normal RPM range you run in the salt with your boat.
Say normal is 5500 and you only max out at 3500 or 4000 on your trips re prop to give more lift and power in a range you need.
In other words you will never run 60 mph in that boat on the sound. To use that HP in the range needed it would really be a benefit to have a prop fitted to the usable speed and RPM.
Friend did the same and control and lift was so much better.

JonBoy

Four Pointer
Yes your trailer(if painted) will rust out from the inside if it is a tubular style. I drilled holes in the ends to assist with water removal.

My trailer only has one tube section near the tongue. The rest of it is shaped like a squared off "C" (half an I-beam)...whatever that's called.

JonBoy

Four Pointer
One thing to add, find your normal RPM range you run in the salt with your boat.
Say normal is 5500 and you only max out at 3500 or 4000 on your trips re prop to give more lift and power in a range you need.
In other words you will never run 60 mph in that boat on the sound. To use that HP in the range needed it would really be a benefit to have a prop fitted to the usable speed and RPM.
Friend did the same and control and lift was so much better.

I'm actually trying to figure out the RPM thing right now. I can only get it up to about 4700 RPM's but the normal range is supposed to be 5k-6k. I just changed the plugs and that made it idle and run smoother, but didn't help with the WOT RPM's. I still need to check and make sure the throttle cable hasn't stretched over the years....that may be the problem.

I do have another prop that the guy gave me when I bought the boat. It's the same pitch but a 1/4' smaller in diameter if I remember correctly...I haven't bothered trying it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
On used props do not trust the pitch he could have had it tuned or tricked out.
Find one of the prop sites that will let you enter the boat, motor, weight and so on.
It will give you a range of prop.

Two things I have seen, go weigh the boat, check the rpm with a secondary gauge or tester.

I have seen people fight RPM when all along it was on, just the gauge was bad or set wrong. May be the original owner had the jack plate or a lot of trim used to get it to turn higher RPM.

The second was first hand. Check weight. I had a used boat that the foam sucked up water. It was a heavy due to the amount of water. You could look at it and not think anything was off. Boat looked fine just waterlogged. Boats with a lot of foam or wood tend to hold water.

Good luck with it.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a 15 ft. 1965 StarCraft V hull that I have occasionally put in salt water, along with my freshwater trolling motor. Here is the important part. Immediately after I get home, I flush the motor, wash the boat, trailer and trolling motor with fresh water.
A small pressure washer works well for doing this. I figure if a 55 year old boat can handle some salt, then one only a few years old ought to be just fine. I do, however, have a galvanized trailer. I'd recommend picking up a good used galvanized or aluminum trailer at some point.
You can also buy a sacrificial node to put on your trolling motor that is supposed to attract the corrosion away from the actual trolling motor.

Last edited:

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Been out several times in a 1648 Jon boat. Just use common sense and pay close attention to conditions. As far as maintenance just clean the boat and trailer and flush outboard when you leave and you’ll be good.