Safety

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I read arguments about Glock vs 1911s. Some say Glocks aren't safe because they don't have a traditional safety, and a 1911 does. Others say Glocks are safer, and they wouldn't carry a gun with the hammer cocked. I don't see how a hammer being cocked is any different than a striker that's locked back ready to rock. I get they both have internal safeties. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I have Glocks and a Sig, and carry either in equally confident that I'm protecting the trigger when I carry them. If I had to say one would be harder to shoot, it would be the Sig since there is an extra step to take before it goes off. The firing pin is locked unless the trigger is held back. If the hammer rests on the pin with a loaded chamber, the pin still can not reach the primer. Momentum carries the pin out to the primer. Sometimes I notice I have bumped the safety on the Sig to the fire position. At that point isn't it essentially the same as a Glock. If you pull the trigger they are both going to fire.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
1911's are both the safest and the most dangerous. A 1911 with the hammer down, thumb safety engaged, and not being firmly held (grip safety) is basically about as dangerous as a brick. But cocked, thumb safety off, firm grip, and with a light trigger it becomes the fastest and most deadliest pistol ever made. When I carry a 1911 I carry it cocked and locked. Still two safeties to content with and I don't have to worry about touching the trigger. Nothing will happen. But all safeties are mechanical and can and will fail, so nothing beats basic gun handling and good safety habits.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I guess what I don't see is where people think Glocks are more safe because you can't see that the "hammer" is already back. It's not a keltec. It's just sitting there waiting to be tripped. Safeties aside they both are cocked.

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I'm not pulling for one over the other. They need to keep their freaking finger off the trigger until their ready for it to go boom.

Last edited:

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No matter which side of the fence you fall on, there's someone waiting in the wings to tell you "your way" is stupid.

:)

Do what works for you. I carried my 1911 locked and cocked.....safety engaged.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
1911's are both the safest and the most dangerous. A 1911 with the hammer down, thumb safety engaged, and not being firmly held (grip safety) is basically about as dangerous as a brick.

Sorry, dont follow.
what 1911 can you put the hammer down and the thumb safety engauged?

it is not in the design. The thumb safety as a cam that fits inside a cut out on the hammer that can only engauge with the hammer back.

That is the design.
All the ones I have work that way.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Sorry, dont follow.
what 1911 can you put the hammer down and the thumb safety engauged?

it is not in the design. The thumb safety as a cam that fits inside a cut out on the hammer that can only engauge with the hammer back.

That is the design.
All the ones I have work that way.

^^^This^^^

People have argued the safety aspect of a 1911 versus striker fired polymer frame pistols ever since the latter was introduced to the market in the early 80's. The venerable 1911 was designed to carry in "Condition 1"- round in the chamber, hammer cocked and manual safety on. In order for the gun to fire one must perform 3 actions: 1- grip the pistol to disengage the grip safety, 2- flip the manual safety down or off and 3- pull the trigger. In order for a Glock to shoot the trigger must be pulled- period. Unless somehow modified from the original design Mr. Gadget is correct that the grip safety on a 1911 will not engage unless the hammer is back.

Both actions do provide a level of security with the "safe action" trigger of the Glock (and similar devices on other makes) versus a pair of safety devices like is on the 1911 but the simple fat is that if one keeps their booger picker off of the trigger both firearms are completely docile and safe.