Sad results of an ATV accident

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My guess is, she either hit something that threw her over the handle bars and cracked her head on the rack, or she went up something too steep and it turned over on her.
Had a co worker whose daughter had the former happen to her. Ended up in ICU in Greenville for a while. She fortunately survived.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure what happened but many times it is due to not wearing a helmet.

Terrible thing to have happen to anyone never mind a child.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Terrible thing to happen.

And I had no idea the number of ATV fatalities was so huge as mentioned in that article: 11,000 in 2017)

Doesn't surprise me. The culture has grown to be full of inexperienced riders and people under the influence... add that combination and you've got the perfect recipe. I've watched guys bounce down the mountain because they have 15-20 psi in their tires. Anymore it's about speed and buzzing than it is about technical riding.

When I bought my Viking a few months ago. I was talking to one of the guys that works there, he just got back from WV. I saw the carnage of the YXZ he rolled down the mountain. Several of my friends have tumbled and they were drinking.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns

And I had no idea the number of ATV fatalities was so huge as mentioned in that article: 11,000 in 2017)
It's crazy here how many kids grow up on atv's. No way in hell the kids understand the risks nor have the maturity to make decisions that may save their life. Parents get way to complacent, kids been riding for years, no injuries, then bam, there dead. I had to pull over and help a kid t-boned on a quad by truck going 60+ on US 1 years ago, no safety gear. Nearly died right in front of me. These kids might as well be driving a car, it's safer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Too many young kids riding unsupervised; they (and the parents) treat ATV's as if they're toys, not the serious vehicles that they are......

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
10,000 injuries in 1982 on atvs. 150,000 a year now.

I think you are dealing with two things.

first off.....I bet only a handful of folks on this board had an arc in 1982.....now probably half do.

second, kids now don’t grow up on lawnmowers and tractors.

I’ve rolled one backwards down a hill. Was bone sober and 16-17 years old at the time. I probably wouldn’t attempt it now. Even with that, I was always more conservative of a rider than most of my friends.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
a girl i went to church with died in a atv accident. i also got a broken arm from riding an atv, did have a helmet on. in hindsight if i wouldnt have been made to put a helmet on i probably wouldnt have cut across the field they told me not to cut across trying to catch back up. BUT i had a helmet on and it as well as my arm took a good hit and im glad i had it on, the wreck was totally my fault went through what looked to be a big open field with chest high grass. i didnt know there was a creek running down the middle and hit the ditch going pretty fast.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
A tragedy regardless of the circumstances. In this case 3 friends were out having fun on a UTV. The young lady was driving. Somehow the UTV turned over and catapulted her through the windshield. She died immediately from head injuries. No alcohol involved just inexperienced kids with no fear having a good time.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
When I used to hunt in WI with my former hunting partner we would sometimes use his ATV's to hunt the back trails and he was forever giving me crap when he had to stop and wait for me to catch up. As I told him, "too bad, so sad".... I'm riding within MY capabilities, NOT his......

WI is a very nice place but I don't want to die there...

guyo

Ten Pointer
60 years ago that could have been me , I never thought things though and was hurt a few time could off been killed. Can't say I was any smarter then the kids of today.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I understand and appreciate the utility of ATVs for land management, farming, hunting, etc …

I also see how dangerous they are when operated carelessly or by inexperienced people riding beyond their skills or judgment.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
A tragedy regardless of the circumstances. In this case 3 friends were out having fun on a UTV. The young lady was driving. Somehow the UTV turned over and catapulted her through the windshield. She died immediately from head injuries. No alcohol involved just inexperienced kids with no fear having a good time.
Are you talking about the accident I originally posted about?
A UTV is one of those side-by-side things, right? Don't they have seat belts? Don't misunderstand me, please - I'm not trying to lay blame on anyone, I'm just trying to find out what happened so hopefully myself, my neighbors, and my friends can avoid a similar tragedy.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
A UTV is one of those side-by-side things, right? Don't they have seat belts?

Yes and most have seat belts. The typical safety standard of seat belts in vehicles equipped with a ROP is to contain you in the vehicle in the event of a rollover. However the seat belts are pointless if you roll on a stump between the bars.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up on motorcycles and ATV's. Raced AMA District 29 motocross events and others in NC,SC,VA. I'm 49 now and almost every visible scar on my body, and every single broken bone I've ever had is related to something with wheels and non highway use vehicles. ATV's, UTV's, Dirt Bikes, and pretty much anything with a motor is dangerous. These vehicles deserve the exact same respect as a firearm. They are all a ton of fun when handled properly, and they will all end your life if misused.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen some pretty bad injuries from ATV accidents working in the ED. The internal injuries are what can get you, lacerations on your spleen, liver or kidneys can have you bleed out quickly, yet no obvious outward signs of injury upon first quick inspection. Pelvic fractures are another bad one, lots of arteries down in that region and you lose large volumes of blood and no one will ever notice, because you are not externally bleeding. I pulled a young kid out of the back seat of his Dad's truck once who had rolled an ATV. Accident had been a few hours earlier, young man had no real complaints and no major signs of injury after the wreck so family didn't immediately bring him in. Then he passed out at home about 2 hours after the wreck. I pulled him out of the truck, nearly dead and as a white as a sheet. He was bleeding to death internally. We worked on that kid for hours, finally got him stable enough to get him to a trauma center for surgery.

Accidents happen, both to experienced and inexperienced people. I'm all for people having fun and not sheltering their children and letting them have a good time. But please, educate them and outfit them with proper safety gear. And if you are in an ATV accident, go to the hospital and get checked out, even if you "feel fine."

Birdman

Six Pointer
I am from this area....the word is she was thrown through the windshield her and a boy passenger and it landed on her...the boy lifted off of her and carried her across a field to a home for help...all second hand info....she has a older sister and a younger brother...tragic for sure and have been preying for peace for the family...

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The US govt basically outlawed 3 wheel atvs because they said they were unsafe and very accident prone

Are 4 wheel atv next?

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sad news

I’ve been on portions of the Hatfield and McCoy trail using it as access for timber inventory, I just ride the flats and old strip benches, I see trails and hill climbs that you couldn’t pay me to go up and down.