S&W 1500 (Howa) rifle

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Bought this 30/06 today for a helluva deal. Thanks much @chatham/kj !!
Best I can tell it was made in the late 80's. It's got a very smooth bolt, factory adjustable trigger, and a DNZ scope mount. Have a Redfield Rebel 4-12x40 scope on the way. Now to get to work loading up some ammo for it.
View attachment 79255

I had one of those mid 1980s S&W 1500s,,, mine was in 7mm Mag,,, loved it,, Howa made some good rifles back then

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got the weatherby style .25-06 sporter in my pic above with for $500....The black stocked one in my pic above. It came with a Nikon Buckmasters scope, Timney trigger, Bell & Carleson stock, ~120 rounds of loaded ammo, Lee dies, and enough components (brass & projectiles) for another 100 rounds. It's probably the best gun deal i've ever got, and probably the best i'll ever get...lol. Older guy built it for a pronghorn setup, went out and took a pronghorn, and wanted to let it go to someone who would get some use out of it.

I just picked up the gray stocked Howa in .308 win for $750. Has a 20" threaded barrel, Bell & Carlson M40 stock, MDT rail, and 100 once fired Norma Brass. 100 rounds through it. Just picked up a Vortex Eagle 4-16X 42 scope from Academy at 50% off for it. $150 and normally $300. Pretty decent setup for $900 all in.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All those commercial Mauser-style actions are similar and tend to be bedded the same to make them even more accurate than coming from the factory. A few minutes with a dremel and some bedding material of choice and you can have an almost bulletproof hunting set up. The one piece mounts make it even more sturdy.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Laser bore sighted. Surprisingly the clicks are more positive than on the Revolution. Initial thoughts are this has VX1 type glass. Will know better once on the range.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
A friend has a Howa from that time period and loves it. He traded a truck for it in the early 90's. The guy with the rifle needed some wheels. Truck needed some work. My friend has had the rifle ever since. He said he would always keep that one and he has.

Arapaho

Spike
I have a 1500 made for Howa by Mossberg in 7 mag. I bought it in the 80s from a gunship going out of business for a really good price. I have killed a lot of deer with it over the years and it is extremely accurate for a factory rifle. It cycles slicker than most rifles in my safe. I had heard that S/W made them for a while for Howa as well. They are basically a WeatherBy Vanguard clone. Mine has had less than 100 rounds through it and still appears new. Good luck with your rifle!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have a 1500 made for Howa by Mossberg in 7 mag. I bought it in the 80s from a gunship going out of business for a really good price. I have killed a lot of deer with it over the years and it is extremely accurate for a factory rifle. It cycles slicker than most rifles in my safe. I had heard that S/W made them for a while for Howa as well. They are basically a WeatherBy Vanguard clone. Mine has had less than 100 rounds through it and still appears new. Good luck with your rifle!

I expect ya have that backwards,,,, Howa made the mossberg 1500
howa made the basis of the vanguards as well,,, Howa 1500 was around way before the vanguard. In fact, Howa produced many of the Weatherby Mark V actions starting in the 60s,,,

Arapaho

Spike
I expect ya have that backwards,,,, Howa made the mossberg 1500
howa made the basis of the vanguards as well,,, Howa 1500 was around way before the vanguard. In fact, Howa produced many of the Weatherby Mark V actions starting in the 60s,,,
Thanks for the explanation, I haven't done a lot of research. I knew the the trigger I bought fit all three.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Thanks for the explanation, I haven't done a lot of research. I knew the the trigger I bought fit all three.

I've liked the howas since my first one I bought in like 83 or so,, it was a pretty wood stocked one marketed by Smith & Wesson,,, but it was a Howa all day long,,, loved that gun

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a beautiful Interarms 30-06 many years ago, it had maple spacers, rosewood gripcap and fore end and fake ivory inlays. It was just too pretty to hunt with, and I didn't. I ended up trading it for a pre-64 Model 70 which I sold for a mint (back then). The guy I traded with ended up becoming a hunting buddy and still has that rifle, it's killed many animals and still looks almost as good as when he got it from me.
Those are quality rifles, by whatever name they had printed on them. Howa has represented here in the states for many years, well until they started making those Weatherby plastic rifles for Walmart, those are just plain ugly. :)