Rut Reports!

Roadkill bucks noticeably higher the past week in surrounding Charlotte area. Ill be in the woods this Saturday and had very good activity last Saturday, just nothing that gave me heart palpitations.

Saturday is shaping up to be a prime-time day....pretty pumped to be honest. That early morning rise will be easier without the aid of joe.
Good luck Blades! Cool looking Weimaraner.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I believe that they are in all three stages from mid october till jan 1.
My beliefs are supported by years of posts here.
Many times i think i am in a different region of the country comparing my observations with those posting here.

I do wonder though the pics of the tarsal glands.
Anyone want to tell me how that tells you the stage of the rut?

I think it's less about the stage of the rut that the deer are in, and more about the stage of anxiety that the hunter is in.......

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Doubt it ! Most hunters understand the rut is one of the best times to kill a big deer. Stay off the Xanax!

Just pointing out that looking at photos of a tarsal gland on your computer is somewhat pointless. Like OS said, the deer are in some stage of rut from mid October to January, what difference does a dark tarsal gland make?

You're right, the best time to kill a big buck is during the rut, and the best way to do THAT is to get out and hunt when you can, as much as you can.

And watch out for those Robo-deer!!!!!!

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Some great info here, but it would be easier for me to make use of if posters would include dates and locations with each post. Just saying.

Plenty of scrapes and rubs in north Cumberland. Zero chasing, does still in groups and young bucks are just milling around. Pretty sure it will kick off after the full moon next week.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I had 3 different people send me pics of bucks they killed yesterday but none said they were chasing does or even cruising for does....at least that they could tell.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

tritonbuck

Eight Pointer
Saw a heavy ten point chasing a doe on my way home from work. He must have been chasing a while because he was dragging. Saw a nice younger 8 in the next field but he was not chasing. Rockingham County.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a small buck nose to the ground just east of the mozingo road exit near Greenville on 264 tonight. He was about 10 to 15 feet from being road kill.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Harnett Co.....hunted a bean field this afternoon, at 5:20 a doe came out of wood line into bean field and few yards behind a big 8 pt came out followed her all way cross field....all within 50 yds. Got him on camera in early September, haven't seen him till today. Waiting for his partner.

muzzymomentless

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Had two 8 pointers get in a shoving match this evening. The biggest of the two came back through following does grunting every breath. Took a shot at him but shot low and missed. This was in watauga county.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I would guess pre rut in Harnett as well. Younger bucks are cruising. Mature buck I had on cam yearly have all but disappeared.
North Cumberland all I'm seeing are young bucks spikes and 4's. The 4 I saw yesterday did bump a doe off of her bed but that was it. Pretty sure we are end of pre rut and will be going peak rut with this next full moon.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Just checked my camera. Had small doe come by, stop and pee 4:42pm yesterday afternoon. At 4:45pm nice buck comes by sniffing same spot then runs after doe. This is in northern Stanly County.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Blades

Six Pointer
Put down a mock scrap at a traditional mock and rub tree that has alway had activity in years past. Coupled the scrap with a dripper and had activity last night on it with few does and smaller bucks.

I expect to start seeing bigger ones expanding their ranges and visiting consistently in the coming 2 weeks. I’m down to just one camera since the other two decided to die on me so there could be some big guys in the area I’m not capturing.

Been seeing chasing heavy from alamance and chatham for last week and still going..when Not in stand im on road from greensboro To wake county back and forth thru country roads and seen bucks chasing does all times of day everyday for last week or more.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Fresh scrape and 4 of the 6 rubs I found near a bedding area. Wake County. Hunted Friday and all day Saturday. Saw a lone doe. Based on sign they were moving at night with the moon light.

Attachments

• B893645C-4A4C-40DD-ABD8-13AA19EEEF8D.jpeg
    B893645C-4A4C-40DD-ABD8-13AA19EEEF8D.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 9554C766-7422-4366-9473-57C0EC271519.jpeg
    9554C766-7422-4366-9473-57C0EC271519.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 67
  • F92525C3-7FA8-4F0A-B739-337CCBA61D78.jpeg
    F92525C3-7FA8-4F0A-B739-337CCBA61D78.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 87E9BB43-964D-4D9C-AD2E-E269B4BF7E9A.jpeg
    87E9BB43-964D-4D9C-AD2E-E269B4BF7E9A.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 67
Saw a couple doe Saturday A.M. They crossed about 40 yards in front of me . A small 4 point was following them at a distance. Not bird dogging at all. No color in the tarsal glands. Had some tinks out he walked right by it and never even turned his head.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I have not seen much rutting,Seen a buck last week following does,no,chasing,goats pics of buck,cruising the bait ,some scrapes,still getting opened up,all the does,I,seen this weekend,were together, no bucks,Seen a 4 pt this,morning walking,Had 2 does at another spot about run over me while I was slipping around,nothing aftrt thrum,think they smelled me and as I had passed the tithe they were bedded on.Had a small 8 pt come by at back side,of corn rivet at last light,my son,could not get,right,he was steady walking,hopefully he,will get him in the,morning.Im taking a day off work,should,have last week,as seemed most rutting took,place from Monday to Thursday, from friends,killing good bucks and,seeing chasing.