Run and Gun set up

Unicorn Stalker

Spike
Contributor
Anyone have recommendations on light weight hang ons (lone wolf, XOP, Hawk, etc.) Have you used different ones and which ones were better for long treks through the woods?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bollweevil

Eight Pointer
Millenium M100U works great! VERY LIGHT! It comes with a chain receiver, but I recommend the ratchet receiver and an extra ratchet strap.

Use with Hawk Helium or Lone Wolf Sticks

jakeller27

Four Pointer
I second Lone Wolf Alpha and I prefer the Muddy sticks with the rope cams over the Lone Wolf sticks. I like the total length of the Lone Wolf sticks but I'd rather them have double steps. I use the EZ Hang hook for the stand as well, and I like that quite a bit.

ctsnow

Six Pointer
I don't know much about the saddles but they interest me

I’m under 15 lbs with the whole setup and can get 25 ft up in any tree I want basically. I’m going to try a different climbing method next year so that weight should go down.

berryman26

Six Pointer
I’m under 15 lbs with the whole setup and can get 25 ft up in any tree I want basically. I’m going to try a different climbing method next year so that weight should go down.
What would you cut out from your saddle set up to get even lighter? Wild edge steps?

ctsnow

Six Pointer
What would you cut out from your saddle set up to get even lighter? Wild edge steps?
I’m either going to get different stick or go the one-stick method. Each muddy pro stick is around 3 lbs so they are heavy compared to other sticks on the market

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Run and gun setup on grounds I am unfamiliar with... I’m taking my Lone wolf alpha and sticks. I can hang a set in most any tree and situation. I added the thicker seat pad that helps with long all day sits.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Run and gun setup on grounds I am unfamiliar with... I’m taking my Lone wolf alpha and sticks. I can hang a set in most any tree and situation. I added the thicker seat pad that helps with long all day sits.
What's the weight on that setup?

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What's the weight on that setup?

Stand is 14#’s and I run 4 sticks at 2.5 pounds each. So right at 24#’s total. It carries a lot less than that though IMO. Plus...I tend to be a bull when it comes to getting to where I need to be... 😉

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Stand is 14#’s and I run 4 sticks at 2.5 pounds each. So right at 24#’s total. It carries a lot less than that though IMO. Plus...I tend to be a bull when it comes to getting to where I need to be... 😉
Working on getting into better shape for next year. That warm day we were out there let me know I was way out of shape.

I also need to find a better strap system for carrying around my climber. The stock straps suck.

I either use a a climber or a xop vanish and muddy pro sticks. Found the climber a lot more comfortable and end up using more once bow season ends. But the vanish and sticks feels 10x lighter for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Working on getting into better shape for next year. That warm day we were out there let me know I was way out of shape.

I also need to find a better strap system for carrying around my climber. The stock straps suck.

Black’sCreek makes great padded straps.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Never done the "run and gun " thing. I've always used a climber to hunt/scout an area at the same time. Or, to hunt a new property a section at a time. 2 questions:
1. Would it not be easier to find and use a lightweight climber.
2. If you have all that strapped to you to carry in and out, what do you do if you tag one ? i.e. 2 trips or, dress and drag ?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone have recommendations on light weight hang ons (lone wolf, XOP, Hawk, etc.) Have you used different ones and which ones were better for long treks through the woods?

threads here and hunting beast.com are your friend. :)
the bugs are already worked out for you just gotta decide what suits you.

Last edited:

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor

Yeah those factory summit stand straps are mind baffling to me. Top notch stand and skimp on the straps....

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Never done the "run and gun " thing. I've always used a climber to hunt/scout an area at the same time. Or, to hunt a new property a section at a time. 2 questions:
2. If you have all that strapped to you to carry in and out, what do you do if you tag one ? i.e. 2 trips or, dress and drag ?

The main difference between a climber versus stand/saddle/sticks, is the tree options. Unless I’m hunting a huge longleaf pine plantation where you have “climber friendly” trees, I can get into pretty much any tree with my sticks. Plus the flexibility of a saddle gives you more shooting possibilities.

Most of the guys that are running stand/sticks, you are lighter or “just “ at the same weight as a summit or Lone wolf hand climber. With a saddle, you are definitely lighter, you are most likely wearing your saddle just like you would a safety harness.. bulk is pretty much a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Yeah those factory summit stand straps are mind baffling to me. Top notch stand and skimp on the straps....

Milsurp MOLLE straps with waist/kidney belt.. a lot of guys are attaching the straps directly to stand or to the rucksack frame.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone here tried out the JX3 saddle?

I’m almost ready to order one

Check out saddle hunter.com... lot of guys over there love them. I’ve been using my Guidos Web mostly this season even on my private land. But I’m planing to get a “regular” saddle for next year.

My issues with a web/seat type like this, is that it’s less comfortable to stand. I feel that standing you are more likely to appear as a forked branch or part of the tree versus sitting,even though you are behind the tree.I am also not a fan of all the straps especially 430am in the dark.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
This is why I switched to a saddle. Even a lightweight climber is bulky and awkward. 17lb climber plus safety harness, plus a quartered out deer is a lot of weight and bulk. Saddle is the size of a small basketball, fits down in my pack, as does my platform. I use one stick, which i strap to the side of my pack or carry in my hand. Less than 10lbs for everything. I toyed with the idea of a lightweight hang on set up, but realized I wasn't gaining any advantage based on weight or bulk. The saddle is my safety harness and stand all in one. One stick for climbing, takes some practice but I can move up a tree rather efficiently now.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Check out saddle hunter.com... lot of guys over there love them. I’ve been using my Guidos Web mostly this season even on my private land. But I’m planing to get a “regular” saddle for next year.

My issues with a web/seat type like this, is that it’s less comfortable to stand. I feel that standing you are more likely to appear as a forked branch or part of the tree versus sitting,even though you are behind the tree.I am also not a fan of all the straps especially 430am in the dark.

I prefer to stand or lean when I am in my saddle. More comfortable, easier to maneuver and more natural looking (look like a fork of tree like you said), but I do like to be able to sit every now and then, just loosen my tether and sit down. The saddle has definitely taken some practice, there is a learning curve involved. I don't think I am yet to the point where I could sit in one all day, but 6 hours is no issue. I am going to continue to toy with my set up for the rest of year and the off season to see if there is anything I can fix/improve.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I prefer to stand or lean when I am in my saddle. More comfortable, easier to maneuver and more natural looking (look like a fork of tree like you said), but I do like to be able to sit every now and then, just loosen my tether and sit down. The saddle has definitely taken some practice, there is a learning curve involved. I don't think I am yet to the point where I could sit in one all day, but 6 hours is no issue. I am going to continue to toy with my set up for the rest of year and the off season to see if there is anything I can fix/improve.

Yeah same here. I’ve found I prefer standing or leaning.. I can see where it would be very comfortable on a legit platform- right now I just stand on my top stick with a couple screw ins positioned around the sides..

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

Haven’t found any negatives about the JX3.. and don’t see where there are many straps to contend with nor that standing is an issue

My biggest concern about the Tethrd or Aerohunters are hip pinch and wearing cold winter clothes