Ruger American 22lr rimfire

hayco10

Eight Pointer
Anybody got one and can recommend specific ammo? Previous owner said it was finicky about ammo

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Quite frankly with .22s no two even if identical mean they will like the same ammo. I would just buy a few boxes of standard velocity or target ammo to see what it likes best. Stay away from the hyper or high velocity and you will see you best groups.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
CCI Green Tag, Wolf Match Target or Federal Gold Medal would three good rounds to try in the rifle. Chances are if it will not deliver satisfactory groups with one of those three choices there is an issue with the rifle.

<>< Fish

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Picked one up this year. It loves CCI Stingers. Shoots CCI mini mags (not the ones with Troy Landry), CCI standard velocity and Norma Match pretty good. I know the CCI mini mags with Troy and the mini mags without look the same. But they do not shoot the same in any of the 3 rifles we shot this summer. Also if you go to the Nikon Spot on calculator it list them as separate bullets with different BC. I shot 22 more this summer than I ever have and I absolutely loved it.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have gotten into .22 more this year as well. Looking for more than MOS (minuet of squirrel) and boy did I get an education. I got a CZ American in .22 lr and started shooting some internet matches and found that I had to bump up my ammo game just to be on the same page with the good shooters. Right now, I'm shooting SK Standard + because I haven't reached the potential of the ammo yet before moving up to the really accurate stuff. And the old adage still proves true as it did with cars. If you want to go fast, spend more money. If you chase accuracy, spend more money. LOL. The SK Std. + is $.10/rd. The better stuff is around $.25/rd. and the really good stuff is as high as $.45/rd.

herman

Six Pointer
Anybody got one and can recommend specific ammo? Previous owner said it was finicky about ammo
Don't have a ruger but bought a savage B22 the first of the year to play with at the range.It shoots every thing I have tried in it at 50 yds.
Shot this 3-shot group at 100 yds tuesday using CCI velocitor,speed 1435fps with 40 gr HP.
I did free float the barrel.
You should give these a try.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 28

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
A bigger scope is my next thing to buy. Right now I'm just shooting the 25 yd. match and only have a 9x. Even at that, the center on the target is .24 and trying to be sure to hit that is a chore right now. Hopefully I can eventually get to the 100 yd. club.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
One of the nice things about .22 ammo is that there's a good chance to find an ammo that your rifle will really shoot well. When you find that ammo buy a case (5,000 rounds) of the ammo for future use. Get the same lot number if possible.

<>< Fish