Ruger #3

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Any demand for these in 45/70 whats a fair price for one? With iron sights what the yardage to be expected?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot mine for fun at 50 and 100 yards....
It is a fun gun to reload.
As for price who knows it is all in condition, paperwork and boxes.
Generally they sell for less than a No1.
Got a used No1 4570 for $750 at the DDC 2 years back.

If you are thinking of selling let me know. Always into the No1 and No3

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know how strong the No 3 action is compared to the super strong No 1 action but even if it's only Trapdoor load rated you've got a deer hammer to 100 yards. Your eyes with iron sights and the rainbow trajectory beyond that would be limiting factors. I made my longest deer kill with a scoped H&R 45/70 that I handloaded and shot a lot so I knew the bullet drop. Hammered a big ole Upstate NY doe at a measured 244 yards.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Really no difference other than looks and the lever.
The actions and set up are the same. Being lighter, more compact and steel plate most load with lighter charges.
It will handle the hot loads, have done it several time. Just not as fun after a few shots.

It is like my R no1T 416.
Fun gun to look at
Fun gun to talk about
Fun gun to play with
Fun gun to shoot one or two times at the range

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Prices look to be north of $800 and topping out above $1000 depending on condition on a few auction and online sites.

If it were mine I'd add a receiver sight, a quality 4x scope in Leupold QRW rings and put it in the hunting rotation.

<>< Fish

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They’re highly sought after.
I bought one at a Gun Show about 4 years ago for $575 in about 95-98% condition with the original box.

I haven’t seen one below $700 since, not that I’ve saw many though.
Some calibers are more popular than others, for instance, the .30/40 Krag will likely be over $1,000 if you find one. I’ve only ever seen 2 and both were over $900 almost 20 years ago.

I like mine a lot, although if you hunt with it, you’ll have to constantly check to make sure the action is closed. The lever handle likes to work open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk