Ruger 204

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Yes it’s a varmint round, but it does seem to have a small cult like following for deer hunting and I thought it might be interesting to hear about experiences with it. DISCLAIMER, I’d like a civil discussion based on experiences with this round, not wether or not it should be used or that there are more suitable caliber choices. Personally I’ve got a custom AR in 204 and it’s been a blast popping coyotes and groundhogs with. So if any love this lil speed demon for deer what bullet do you use and what shot placement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve never used one for deer but a guy I coyote hunt with does, it’s the only rifle he owns. He’s very careful with his shots and only takes a perfect neck shot. Even at that, the bullet usually explodes on impact so trying a shot at the chest cavity would be incredibly risky at best. Good news is deer usually dead right there. Personally I wouldn’t use it, but he does with good success and I couldn’t call his hunting unethical.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve never used one for deer but a guy I coyote hunt with does, it’s the only rifle he owns. He’s very careful with his shots and only takes a perfect neck shot. Even at that, the bullet usually explodes on impact so trying a shot at the chest cavity would be incredibly risky at best. Good news is deer usually dead right there. Personally I wouldn’t use it, but he does with good success and I couldn’t call his hunting unethical.

I rather doubt I ever try with mine either but it’s just an interesting niche, and deffinately not for beginners. All the bullets I know of do exactly as you said and explode on contact, was curious if there was a reloader bullet that wasn’t of the high expansion/explosive construction. Going from memory I’ve only heard of neck shots as well but was curious to see if that was just my selective memory kicking in.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been lucky to have a tracking dog for 9 years. When I hear 204 I cringe. We have tracked several but yet to recover a deer shot with a 204. Biggest reason is shooter tends to be a very young and inexperienced shooter.

DeathFromAbove

Eight Pointer
Not trying to start anything, but I always thought the NC regs stated that .22 caliber was the minimum allowed for hunting deer.

Just looked it up and it says any rifle a doesn't specify caliber. I was wrong, sorry for the post.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Not trying to start anything, but I always thought the NC regs stated that .22 caliber was the minimum allowed for hunting deer.

Only reference I see regarding 22 is in archery season for method of dispatch under retrieval

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
As long as it’s a rifle of some type there is no minimum caliber in the law.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
for what it's worth a neck shot with a .17hmr would knock one down, a .204 even more so. doesn't take much penetration in the neck with the fast explosive projectiles.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I've tracked a buck, shot behind the shoulder with a Vmax. No exit, light but steady blood trail, and a long one at that. Recovery was 300+ yds on a double lung.

I don't advise it...crack em in the ear hole.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Could work as good as my old 220 Swift on deer, man, it would drive tacks so I only shot in the neck or ear and they'd drop like lightning struck.
Nowadays, I use a .222 Rem, and aim the same, with the same result...…..and don't burn out the barrel.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Could work as good as my old 220 Swift on deer, man, it would drive tacks so I only shot in the neck or ear and they'd drop like lightning struck.
Nowadays, I use a .222 Rem, and aim the same, with the same result...…..and don't burn out the barrel.

How is the 222 rem, I’m vaguely familiar with a 220 swift but never owned or shot one.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
For y’all that take ear ahots, is it remotely possible to do a euro mount or taxi shoulder mount after all that damage?

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For y’all that take ear ahots, is it remotely possible to do a euro mount or taxi shoulder mount after all that damage?

if you shoot it in the neck you will have a .204 entrance hole, and no exit. they should be able to stitch that tiny hole so you never see it, and have a nice shoulder mount.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
How is the 222 rem, I’m vaguely familiar with a 220 swift but never owned or shot one.k

Since it is nearly 1000 fps slower, it isn't near as damaging. ..but just as deadly. The more popular 223 is bout 150 fps faster than the 222 Rem, thus cheaper ammo. Another option is the 218 Bee or 22 Hornet for neck/ear shots. Having said that, I've seen many deer chest shot with a 22 Mag and go less than 50 ft. THOSE shots were 75 yds or less though.

Shockgobbles

Six Pointer
Never have taken one deer hunting but the .204 is hell on coyotes. My little brother who is much more of a long range shooting nut than I am shot a ground hog in a soybean field at a little over 500 yards with ours a few years back.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

The 22-250 hammers them with a neck shot too. Handloaded 55 gr Sierra Game King hp's leave about a 1" exit hole. Have yet to have one take a step or even twitch after being hit.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My neighbor exclusively uses .204 and .22Mag even tho there is a .270 and .243 in the house. Last year I helped him look for a spike that he shot in the head over a corn pile from a rest at 40 yards with the .204. I found blood, my dog and I never located the deer. My dog has a significant history of finding deer they shot that were not recovered in time. I can think of four right off hand, one 8 pointer and 3 small bucks.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
My problem with the .204 would be lack of good, solid constructed bullet. With a 22-250, 223, 222 etc, there are heavier, solid bullets available that dont explode on impact. I use 60 grain partition in my 22-250. It doesnt explode on impact, expands and leaves decent exit wounds. I prefer neck shots but have done behind the shoulder with great results. I am not a good enough shot to try a head shot on a deer.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Apparently there are a lot of guys here that shoot much better than me. I wouldn't think of using a 204 on deer, being restricted to just head/neck shots just wouldn't work. I'm lucky if I can get em to hold still long enough to put one in the shoulder, much bigger margin for error.

I have to ask, are you shooting deer that are sitting in an open field? Out of box blinds or ground blinds where you have a great rest? I usually end up in the woods or cutover edges out of a stand, no way I'm trying to get cute with a little pea shooter.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Can't speak for others, but I'm not trying to be "cute" when shooting deer with my smaller caliber rifles. I'm absolutely confident in my ability and in my guns. I know my competency ranges. I shoot from a solid rest in a box stand or a bipod from a ground rest.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
it's not the gun,,,it's the person behind the gun,,,,,,

reminds me of a pistol range back in 1982,,,,we were shooting our 1911s and one fellow stated "my gun is so old and lose it won't group",,,,,,,ol' SFC John L. said "let me check it",,,,burned the 10 ring out with a mag of ammo,,,,,,,

"nothing wrong with that gun",,,,,,,,

course Big John as we called him shot about 17/11 rounds out of a Colt every week back then,,,,,,,,,,,

anyhow, I digress,,,,,:cool:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Can't speak for others, but I'm not trying to be "cute" when shooting deer with my smaller caliber rifles. I'm absolutely confident in my ability and in my guns. I know my competency ranges. I shoot from a solid rest in a box stand or a bipod from a ground rest.

That’s what I was hoping to avoid, not a debate on how/why the 204 shouldn’t be used but rather how those that like it get around it’s limitations. I do have a 204 I love but I’ve only used it on coyotes and groundhogs, doubt that I do take it for deer but who knows. The reason I started this thread was while at the range with my 204 I recalled how vehemently my old grandfather (big daddy) used to poke at my dad for missing deer with his 30/06 when Big Daddy used a 22mag and rarely had to track a deer 5 steps. Dad has always been a “fair” shot but has always been recoil shy and it used to grate his nerves seeing Big Daddy with one strung up dressed when Dad couldn’t even find blood.
Having shot with both men I don’t recall Big Daddy being much better of a shot than Dad but he was hell with his lil 22.