Roy Williams Retires

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He's earned the right to relax, play golf, and owes no apologies to anyone!!

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In his adios speech he said he felt like his time was over because he just couldn't get thru to these latest players.

Well, there were a bunch of spoiled socially-inept malcontents on this team!!

Reflecting on the hundred's of dedicated, great players he's had, I can't say I blame him!!

One and done, transfer portal, seniors playing a 5th year...........the NCAA is making itself insignificant!!

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Easy street is over. Cat is out of the bag. Errrbody ontoitnow. Crap got hard quick. SEC money is coming like a freight train.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know Kessler was gone, but were there any other players leaving? Was that a significant factor or was he just as tired as he looks?

country

Ten Pointer
He is old an more than likely tired of mentality of majority of players today ( more worried about name on back of the jersey than the name on the front of it )...

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
The Kessler transfer makes sense now because I’m sure he knew it and that’s why he left. I literally almost cried when I got this news this morning but I get it. 5th year of eligibility, wide open transfer portal without having to sit out, zoom recruiting, and he’s in the older generation that doesn’t want to do all that. I don’t blame him. He owes nobody anything. He is the greatest coach We’ve ever had. I have a feeling coach k will be close behind. Roy will be missed. I really wish they would go get Wes Miller and let him have the wheel. Either way, sad day to be a Tar Heel.

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
The Kessler transfer makes sense now because I’m sure he knew it and that’s why he left. I literally almost cried when I got this news this morning but I get it. 5th year of eligibility, wide open transfer portal without having to sit out, zoom recruiting, and he’s in the older generation that doesn’t want to do all that. I don’t blame him. He owes nobody anything. He is the greatest coach We’ve ever had. I have a feeling coach k will be close behind. Roy will be missed. I really wish they would go get Wes Miller and let him have the wheel. Either way, sad day to be a Tar Heel.

Kessler was the nail that finished the coffin. His dad didn’t like his role and they wanted him to be showcased, felt like he should have been the starting 3 over Black.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Kessler was the nail that finished the coffin. His dad didn’t like his role and they wanted him to be showcased, felt like he should have been the starting 3 over Black.

Maybe so but I heard from an inside source that Roy knew he was retiring 2 weeks ago. But idk that for sure. And having 3 near seven footers on the court at the same time would have been difficult. I would rather him started over brooks. But Roy was always loyal to his upper class man. That’s just an old school thing. Didn’t bother me. Brooks wasn’t as good as Kessler but he did earn his spot.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Being a Tennessee fan I don’t have a dog in the fight. In saying that I agree with something I heard on Knoxville sports talk yesterday when they were talking about Roy’s retirement. They were talking about how the old school coaches like Williams, Coach K, Rick Pitino, Rick Barnes, Jim Bayheim (spelling?) will be hanging it up in the next 3-4 years. Reason being is they don’t want to have to deal with one and dones, transfer portal, international recruiting and the like.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Few, Stevens, Davis, Miller.
You can have the field past those.
They may have riots in the streets if hubert gets passed.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Tradition, plain and simple.

What he said. It’s just the way it’s always been. But with the university becoming so liberal and so much “wokeness “ who knows who they will sign. My vote is on Wes Miller. But this might be the first time that they go outside the family and offer the job to brad stevens. That would not make me mad at all. He is an incredible coach. Back to back title game appearances at butler. Recruited well and is an excellent X’s and O’s Coach and players love him. The same people they were upset that Phil Ford never got a chance will be the same people that will be upset if Hubert Davis or stackhouse gets the job. Neither of those has a proven track record yet although I like both of them.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I was googling correctly, it seems that “the flagship” has never had a person of color as head basketball coach.

Never considered that.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I think he's mentally tired, maybe tired of all the "woke" BS he has to deal with, and also slipping mentally. I'm also thinking unc-ch doesn't want a 'joe biden' on their hands. Besides mistakes in the games, they don't want him publicly spilling the beans (and admitting) about what they had / have been doing these past few decades. Better for him to bow out gracefully.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
Can’t believe no one has commented on this yet. What do y’all think about ol Hubert?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Can’t believe no one has commented on this yet. What do y’all think about ol Hubert?

Good faith effort to hire a minority, but in the end, won’t be the hire. Perception of an “honest”attempt is the plan.