Rossi Tuffy Turkey .410

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This one has killed a few squirrels with just the bead and yesterday I sighted in a red dot. The Venom is priced too high for this gun, so I picked up a Truglo microtec on sale @$99 to try out.

I am not a fan of Truglo in general, but we’ll see how it does. At first glance and sighting it in, it seems good. I don’t like the sights that you cannot change the battery without taking them off though. The pattern looked good with #6’s and the XF choke, but began to spread out at 30 yards.
484D5C35-58C9-456B-BA37-29BD0C8F1753.jpeg

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I mounted a old Tasco 30mm red dot on my Tuffy this evening. Planning to shoot it with this sight and a small handgun relex sight to see which one I like the best. Hope to have a range report mid week next week. I haven't been this excited about a .410 since my step-dad gave me his Iver Johnson Arms & Cycleworks single shot to use. :)

I am going to modify the factory swivels/studs to use standard quick detach Uncle Mike's swivles.

<>< Fish

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Reviving this reminded me. My son finally got to open it and we shot it yesterday. I wanted him to have the first shot but my wife told be to check the recoil so I obliged. I installed a Limbsaver (not a slip on) prior to wrapping, I felt nothing.

When my nearly 6 year old shot he said it scared him. I asked if it hurt and he smiled and said, “Noo! It was loud.” It then dawned on me that I’ve never shot anything louder than a pellet gun with him close by. His shooting experience up to this point was just a pellet rifle. He is ready to shoot some more!

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Reviving this reminded me. My son finally got to open it and we shot it yesterday. I wanted him to have the first shot but my wife told be to check the recoil so I obliged. I installed a Limbsaver (not a slip on) prior to wrapping, I felt nothing.

When my nearly 6 year old shot he said it scared him. I asked if it hurt and he smiled and said, “Noo! It was loud.” It then dawned on me that I’ve never shot anything louder than a pellet gun with him close by. His shooting experience up to this point was just a pellet rifle. He is ready to shoot some more!

^ That's awesome! Going to get him on some squirrels before the season runs out?

<>< Fish

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Never owned a .410 until recently, but my wife has had a "Taurus Judge" for some time now in her vehicle for self defense. We're pretty much set with a wide variety of ammo, OO buck, self defense rounds, 4 shot, and up to 6 shot - in .410).

Yet both of us are "novice" turkey hunters, and for the past 6 years, we've used #4 shot in both our 12gauge shotguns. We're chomping at the bit to utilize our new .410's this spring (4 shot).

Nevertheless, several months ago I picked up a couple "Rossi Turkey Tuffy's" for the both of us (wife & I), and they came with 2 chokes-an "Extra Full," and a "Modified."

The question I have for the pros on this forum...., is,.... "Is the Rossi "Tuffy" capable of shooting 45 long colt," and is it able to withstand the pressures generated by the .45 Colt cartridge?

If so, which choke would you safely recommend to use - extra full, or modified,? without screwing up the gun?

More than likely we're gonna add a reflex sight since it came with picatinny rails to do so...

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never owned a .410 until recently, but my wife has had a "Taurus Judge" for some time now in her vehicle for self defense. We're pretty much set with a wide variety of ammo, OO buck, self defense rounds, 4 shot, and up to 6 shot - in .410).

Yet both of us are "novice" turkey hunters, and for the past 6 years, we've used #4 shot in both our 12gauge shotguns. We're chomping at the bit to utilize our new .410's this spring (4 shot).

Nevertheless, several months ago I picked up a couple "Rossi Turkey Tuffy's" for the both of us (wife & I), and they came with 2 chokes-an "Extra Full," and a "Modified."

The question I have for the pros on this forum...., is,.... "Is the Rossi "Tuffy" capable of shooting 45 long colt," and is it able to withstand the pressures generated by the .45 Colt cartridge?

If so, which choke would you safely recommend to use - extra full, or modified,? without screwing up the gun?

More than likely we're gonna add a reflex sight since it came with picatinny rails to do so...
You like having all your fingers? Or your face?

a .410 is exactly that a.410 diameter and that’s with a CYLINDER bore, a modified choke is .020 restriction making the diameter .390, an extra full choke is .040 restriction making it .370 diameter. A .45 colt is .452 diameter. It ain’t gonna end well if you try it...

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You like having all your fingers? Or your face?

a .410 is exactly that a.410 diameter and that’s with a CYLINDER bore, a modified choke is .020 restriction making the diameter .390, an extra full choke is .040 restriction making it .370 diameter. A .45 colt is .452 diameter. It ain’t gonna end well if you try it...
😁
That's why I asked. I'll keep my face and fingers, thank you! 😁

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
A buddy of mine just gave my son a Tuffy Turkey have questions.

Can you swap barrels on this thing?

Can it be a decent squirrel gun?

Can he shoot birds with it? It has a Modified choke, that might be a tight pattern for a kid.

I'll probably get him in a .20 ASAP.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Can you swap barrels on this thing?
No, the barrel swap only works on their matched pairs. Also note there are two versions of the Turkey action, steel and polymer.

Can it be a decent squirrel gun?

Yes, up to the shooter.

Can he shoot birds with it? It has a Modified choke, that might be a tight pattern for a kid.

It’s not that tight, spreads fast.

I'll probably get him in a .20 ASAP.

That would make it smaller 🤷🏼‍♂️

…. if it existed.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
No, the barrel swap only works on their matched pairs. Also note there are two versions of the Turkey action, steel and polymer.

Yes, up to the shooter.

It’s not that tight, spreads fast.

That would make it smaller 🤷🏼‍♂️

…. if it existed.

LOL. Ya got me there.

Is there any important difference in the polymer/steel?

Would 8 or 8-1/2 make sense for shooting birds with that modified choke?

Any problems running steel if he wanted to take a crack at a duck?

it's a neat little gun.

thanks for all the info

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Is there any important difference in the polymer/steel?

The big difference is the safety, the steel is like the AR and polymer is a push through.

Only notable issue I’m aware of is with polymer, the shell extraction on some loads. So far it was a custom brand of TSS that caused issues (not caused by Apex or Federal). I have the earlier steel version, no troubles.

Would 8 or 8-1/2 make sense for shooting birds with that modified choke?

Best I can say is pattern your loads. Did it come with the factory turkey choke? I felt the factory turkey held it well, marginally better anyways.

Any problems running steel if he wanted to take a crack at a duck?

You can run steel through the modified but if your heart is set on it try an improved, thread is MobilChoke. Probably not going to have enough density would be better off punching with TSS. So $80 choke or 15 shots of factory TSS, your pick.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
The big difference is the safety, the steel is like the AR and polymer is a push through.

Only notable issue I’m aware of is with polymer, the shell extraction on some loads. So far it was a custom brand of TSS that caused issues (not caused by Apex or Federal). I have the earlier steel version, no troubles.

Best I can say is pattern your loads. Did it come with the factory turkey choke? I felt the factory turkey held it well, marginally better anyways.

You can run steel through the modified but if your heart is set on it try an improved, thread is MobilChoke. Probably not going to have enough density would be better off punching with TSS. So $80 choke or 15 shots of factory TSS, your pick.

I have two chokes. Said one is modified and once is full.

this is the polymer then, it's a push through safety.

ncpatriot

Button Buck
I like Federal 2-1/2" 1/4 oz (109 gr) and 3" Silver Bear 97 gr slugs. The work great out to my self imposed 40 yard limit.
Please educate me on using slugs in this gun. Can all .410 slugs be used safely? Which included choke is best for about a fifty yard shot? Must you have a choke installed (will it damage the threads if not?) Thank you in advance for all your answers and suggestions/

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Please educate me on using slugs in this gun. Can all .410 slugs be used safely? Which included choke is best for about a fifty yard shot? Must you have a choke installed (will it damage the threads if not?) Thank you in advance for all your answers and suggestions/
DO NOT shoot without a choke tube installed. I would use the modified choke for slugs.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Mine shoots 9.5 tss good at40 yards. With choke that came with it .390 going to get after market choke . Blue collar outdoor on you tube does alot of choke and she'll test. It narrowed my choice down to Indian creek.or the new.jellyhead.