Rossi Tuffy Turkey .410

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Handled one of these today. I like you can carry 8 shells on the stock. Comes with extended extra full and extended modified choke tubes. The scope/red dot rail sits lower than the Stevens 301 does. The modified choke could possibly make it a close range deer gun. I've found 410 slugs work very well at my self imposed 40 yard range.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I found a lot of buyer reviews saying the rail comes loose after some shooting. The claim is poor machining but I’m going out on a limb and suspect there’s just not enough material to get a good bite with the threads. Possibly correct it with something permanent like loctite or welding?

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have one. Overall it's not bad for the price and patterns well. Mine came with 2 chokes. The xfull throws tss loads solid out to 40 yards and better. The breach comes open after a shot of heavy loads.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one. Overall it's not bad for the price and patterns well. Mine came with 2 chokes. The xfull throws tss loads solid out to 40 yards and better. The breach comes open after a shot of heavy loads.
Oil on the latch shelf can cause single shot guns to open.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
The best part (over the Stevens 301) is the stock spacer that changes the LOP. Take it out and you have a good youth gun. Put it back in and it works for the older set.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The best part (over the Stevens 301) is the stock spacer that changes the LOP. Take it out and you have a good youth gun. Put it back in and it works for the older set.
You got any more info on that? I haven't seen anything about a stock spacer or what the LOP is even. What is the standard LOP? What is it without the spacer?

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
This is what I posted on Old Gobbler about the Tuffy Turkey:

From the back of the trigger guard, which is ~ 1" forward of the receiver/stock connection, the LOP is 10.5" with the stock spacer removed. I didn't measure the stock spacer but it seems to be 2.5-3" long. The gun fits my 8.5 year old son with the spacer removed.

There are no instructions in the manual to remove the stock spacer. Remove the buttplate (not a pad), locate and unscrew the only 2 screws, then reattach the buttplate.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Put that spacer in, ad a slip on Limb Saver recoil pad and you now have an adult LOP for most I would imagine. Would be a fun gun to shoot for sure.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Put that spacer in, ad a slip on Limb Saver recoil pad and you now have an adult LOP for most I would imagine. Would be a fun gun to shoot for sure.

Exactly what I did to get that little extra LOP.

ETA: I never experienced the latch opening when shooting the TSS loads, but have not shot any slugs through mine.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anybody know a shop that has one in the western piedmont? I'd like to set one up for youth turkey and squirrel.

When they came out with the Stevens, I looked for a youth option and didn't see it. IMO, if you make a .410, you should make a youth version as well. The Rossi never listed anything on the website or in the user manual about a removable stock spacer. Seems to me if it was an option, you would make that clear.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anybody know a shop that has one in the western piedmont? I'd like to set one up for youth turkey and squirrel.

When they came out with the Stevens, I looked for a youth option and didn't see it. IMO, if you make a .410, you should make a youth version as well. The Rossi never listed anything on the website or in the user manual about a removable stock spacer. Seems to me if it was an option, you would make that clear.
It’s listed in their catalog

1B1FBB23-3E01-4CC5-A675-91387DFFCF71.jpeg

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I ordered one for my son, he will find it under the Christmas tree.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The shop I handled one at last week had two. Picking one up toworrow if he still has one.
You gonna reveal where that is tomorrow? :)
I went to two places this morning . One had the short Tuffy but not the turkey.

I had looked on the website and it didn’t mention the spacer there nor in the manual. Good to know.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You gonna where that is tomorrow? :)
I went to two places this morning . One had the short Tuffy but not the turkey.

I had looked on the website and it didn’t mention the spacer there nor in the manual. Good to know.

Sent you a PM

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I found one advertised on Gunbroker by a local brick and mortar store. The in-store price was higher than the GB price but they matched the online price in the store. I was very satisfied with the online price vs the in-store price.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I have the Tuffy Turkey now, it’s a neat little gun but I’m modifying a few things.

After watching videos of the 18.5” rock adults I decided I’m putting a Limbsaver on. A perfect fit to the stock is the Classic model 10003 but you will need to drill new holes in the pad. Slightly longer LOP but not terrible.

For the sling mounts I’m going to remove the .115 loop for straps so I can use quick detach slings.

Looking for a couple of reasonably priced chokes and undecided on Romeo 5 or Romeo 2.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have the Tuffy Turkey now, it’s a neat little gun but I’m modifying a few things.

After watching videos of the 18.5” rock adults I decided I’m putting a Limbsaver on. A perfect fit to the stock is the Classic model 10003 but you will need to drill new holes in the pad. Slightly longer LOP but not terrible.

For the sling mounts I’m going to remove the .115 loop for straps so I can use quick detach slings.

Looking for a couple of reasonably priced chokes and undecided on Romeo 5 or Romeo 2.

Gonna try slugs with the other chokes?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like Federal 2-1/2" 1/4 oz (109 gr) and 3" Silver Bear 97 gr slugs. The work great out to my self imposed 40 yard limit.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I want to get one of these for squirrels & such. What kind of patterning are you guys seeing using 6 shot lead at 25+ yards?

<>< Fish

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I like Federal 2-1/2" 1/4 oz (109 gr) and 3" Silver Bear 97 gr slugs. The work great out to my self imposed 40 yard limit.

Id love to kill a deer with my 410. Currently loading a tss recipe For when I go home but “buckshot is illegal in TN so slugs it is. What choke do use?? I don’t have the tuffy but it’s a franchi O/U.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I haven't talked myself into the Tuffy yet. If I get one I'll get an improved cylinder choke. I'm currently shooting an old bolt action Mossberg 183 with external chokes. Had it D&T for a red dot. Highest velocity and best accuracy is without a choke. The modified choke tube wasn't far behind.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Id love to kill a deer with my 410. Currently loading a tss recipe For when I go home but “buckshot is illegal in TN so slugs it is. What choke do use?? I don’t have the tuffy but it’s a franchi O/U.

I believe it depends on the size of the slug. The difference between cylinder and improved cylinder is .009” with light skeet, skeet, and improved skeet in between.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I want to get one of these for squirrels & such. What kind of patterning are you guys seeing using 6 shot lead at 25+ yards?

I picked one up a couple of weeks ago. We've killed a few squirrels with the x-full choke and #6's, but I haven't patterned it yet.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I should be trying one out soon. I'm thinking of putting a small reflex sight on it and seeing how it does in the squirrel woods with 6 shot.

<>< Fish