Root in drain pipe

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 4" black corrugated drain pipe that runs from a gutter downspout under the concrete pool patio to the yard on the other side of the patio. The drainpipe has not been draining so I decided to dig it up on the yard side. Instead of finding a drain pipe clogged with dirt, I found a large tree root running through it. It ran 10' up the pipe and then under the concrete patio. It's at this point I know I have to call in a pro.

Who do I call? Do I call a landscaper that installs drainpipes, an exterior drainage contractor or possibly a plumber? Right now I just not sure who to call.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Can you pull out the the root from the yard side? Is that the side it originates from? And, from the downspout side, can you get a water hose in there to try to rinse from there to the yard side, and maybe bring some stuff out from there?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Can you pull out the the root from the yard side? Is that the side it originates from? And, from the downspout side, can you get a water hose in there to try to rinse from there to the yard side, and maybe bring some stuff out from there?

I'm not sure I can. The root is about 1.5" in diameter. Maybe in my younger years.

Now if anyone wants to try, they will be compensated.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You will have to call a plumber with a root chopper, and you will know he has been there when he leaves. Quite frankly that large good luck.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They make root blasters/drain clearers that go on pressure washers, I made one it has elliptical cuts in the back that will make it feed through a pipe and slotted cuts in the front to blast roots and clogs. It will absolutely cut out a clog and smaller roots, but it won't touch a root that size.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is the drain absolutely necessary? Honestly I’d just abandon it and run the downspout out onto the surface

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
The problem is that there is a hole and you may get it cleaned, but a root will find it again.

The root entered at the joint between sections about 10' from the patio. Overall, I dug up about 20' of drain pipe in the yard. If I can get rid of the root, I'll run only one 10' of pipe instead of the original 20'. It could still start at the popup emitter but with less joints, I hope I can catch any future problems before they become big ones.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Any chance of forgetting that drain and rerouting another?

Yes, it is one of the things I'm considering. The down spout is for the gutter on my screened deck. If I put on a gutter that drains towards the other end of the deck, I could run a down spout at that end of the deck. From there, I can run a drain pipe under the paver walkway that leads up to the concrete. For me to run the pipe out into the yard would require cutting down a japanese maple that I really don't like anyway. I would still probably hire out the job because I don't really want to be the person digging out the root ball on the japanese maple.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Is the drain absolutely necessary? Honestly I’d just abandon it and run the downspout out onto the surface

Because of the slope of the concrete apron around the pool, if I tried to run the water out onto the surface of the patio, a lot of water would flow between the pool and house where I've already had water issues to deal with. The purpose of the current drainpipe is to keep water away from the house foundation.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
They make root blasters/drain clearers that go on pressure washers, I made one it has elliptical cuts in the back that will make it feed through a pipe and slotted cuts in the front to blast roots and clogs. It will absolutely cut out a clog and smaller roots, but it won't touch a root that size.

I do have a jetter hose for my pressure washer. My plans today was to dig back the 20' of drain pipe in the yard, get out the jetter to clear out any dirt in the section of pipe under the patio and then install a shorter drain pipe out into the yard. I don't know why the pool contractor felt the need to run the drain pipe through the yard as he did. My plans were messed up when I found the root. Maybe I'll post some photos tomorrow.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
If you have the point of infiltration dug up just cut the root and pull it out if possible. Pour some salt on it to kill the root and patch your hole and cover it back up. If you put any type of chain flail or root removing auger up that cheap corrugated pipe it will more than likely chew through the side or bottom of the pipe. Roots of that size require a carbide mill that will go on a cable or jetter hose(with more flow required than your pressure washer can give).Manual extraction is or replacement is the only way to get the pipe flowing.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I had pine tree roots get into my septic tank drain lines in my yard Yeats ago...had to install new lines from tank all the way in another direction in yard...around $1200. Pine trees taken down another $2000. Roots from trees can tun under a foundation an destroy it.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Have you thought about hard piping (PVC) the drain line that you dug out already?

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Have you thought about hard piping (PVC) the drain line that you dug out already?

It's a consideration. The contour of the yard may make it difficult to install. I didn't have any root penetration through the pipe itself. It entered at a joint. I'm looking to eliminate the joints by running one pipe cut to the proper length instead of 10' sections like the contractor did. That way there will be only one place where a root can enter instead of at each joint. Since that joint will be located at the pop-up emitter, I can view anytime and if I see a root entering, I can deal with it when it's small.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Here are some photos that may help visualize. First is the trench where I pulled out the drain pipe. I still have a small section to yank out. I ran out of energy yesterday to finish.

Second photo shows the root in the drain pipe.

In the third photo, I used a hose to show where the drain pipe runs under the concrete to the downspout on my gutter.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
The next two photos show a possible solution if I can't remove the root from the drain pipe. The first photo is of the screened deck. In the background, you can see the current downspout. I could run a new downspout at the near end of the deck near the hanging planter and behind the storage cabinets.

From a different angle, I'd run the downspout behind the storage cabinets, under the paver walkway and out into the yard. It would require removing the Japanese maple and its root ball. Also I would need to install a new gutter with a different slope so it runs the opposite way than it does now.

Now if any of you own a landscape company that can do this work, send me a message. We can discuss.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
The next two photos show a possible solution if I can't remove the root from the drain pipe. The first photo is of the screened deck. In the background, you can see the current downspout. I could run a new downspout at the near end of the deck near the hanging planter and behind the storage cabinets.
View attachment 45356

From a different angle, I'd run the downspout behind the storage cabinets, under the paver walkway and out into the yard. It would require removing the Japanese maple and its root ball. Also I would need to install a new gutter with a different slope so it runs the opposite way than it does now.
View attachment 45357

Now if any of you own a landscape company that can do this work, send me a message. We can discuss.

Where are you located

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Nice place.

Outside the box...How about a rain catcher at existing downspout with quick connect above ground overflow? Use it to water your plants and such.

JinMagnific

Button Buck
Dealing with a root-infested drain pipe can be a frustrating problem, but it's good that you've realized it's time to call in a professional. Regarding who to call, it depends on the specific issue and the type of pipe that needs to be fixed. A landscaper or exterior drainage contractor may be a good option if you're dealing with an exterior drainage issue. However, a plumber may be the best choice if the issue is related to plumbing or involves a main sewer line. I recently found an informative article on maida.com.au that discusses the different types of professionals that can help with drainage issues and offers some helpful tips on choosing the right one for your specific needs. I hope you find it helpful, and best of luck with your drainage issue!

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I wouldn't move the downspout myself. I would just reroute a new drain pipe and go under the pavers. Forget the old pipe and put PVC in the ground. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't crush that black pipe, when they built the pool anyways.