Rookie Reload Setup for 9mm only

sigsour

Button Buck
I am wanting to get a setup for 9mm only. I have zero experience with reloading and don't want to break the bank either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
buy a kit from midwayusa or some such,,,,Dillon can set you up as well,,,,its a fairly simple process, just make sure to follow instructions, and load data, exactly

have fun

dsink

Eight Pointer
Depending on how much you plan on loading, I would either go with the RCBS kit from Midway (single stage press) or go with a Dillon Square Deal B. If you can swing it, go with the Dillon 550B. They run $440 shipped and set up for one caliber.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A lee turret, carbide dies....call up lee and tell them your plans. Should be able to set it all up for less than $150. Compenents....you will need primers, powder, and bullets.

I did the exact thing a few years back. I dont shoot enough to pay off, but ive got ammo on tap if i need it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Also, a set of calipers and a small digital scale would be good. Lee kits come with a great scale, but it takes a while to get your reading. I use my lee scale, but I have a digi when needed.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any opinions on the Lee Classic 4 hole turret press?

The lee classic works. It's all you need for 9mm. Some brands are better, but I don't think you will find anyone that says lee stuff doesn't work. I don't think they are the best, but for a beginner, it works.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Lee precision will be good to start with and you can always upgrade if you find that you enjoy reloading ammo.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
If your location was known maybe someone could invite you over and you could see first hand how it is done.
A lot of good advise above.

firestomper247

Six Pointer
I'm in Alamance County and set up for 9mm for the next few weeks then switching to 10mm. More than welcome to come see my set up and how I do it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sigsour

Button Buck
I am in Franklin County about 30 minutes north of Raleigh.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
I'm in Alamance County and set up for 9mm for the next few weeks then switching to 10mm. More than welcome to come see my set up and how I do it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It sounds like you got it under control .
Good luck
Hope the best for you.
Reloading is very fun .

sigsour

Button Buck
I ordered the Lee Classic 4 hole turret press. Can't wait to start reloading. Thanks guys.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got carbide dies and compnents? You may need another thing forthe powder hopper to mount on. Like an extension. Cant remember the item. I had to buy one separately.

sigsour

Button Buck
I bought the dies, pro powder measure, (with extension) and the primer feeder. I already own calipers and digital scales. I need to buy supplies next...

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Any opinions on the Lee Classic 4 hole turret press?

The classic cast press is great, you can have a turret setup for each caliber, you can run it as a quasi-progressive for pistol. I can't tell any difference in the pistol ammo I load with it, and
the pistol ammo my friend loads with his high-dollar Dillon progressive. I put my money into powder, primer, and projectiles instead of unneeded or unneccesary stuff. I do have a wet tumbling setup
that I run all my brass thru, and I usually tumble range pickups before I de-primed or anything else so I can sort and eyeball them for defects.

You can load just fine on anything from a Lee hand press for $30 to a $800 progressive but for a beginner I highly recommend the turret because it can be both.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
Got carbide dies and compnents? You may need another thing forthe powder hopper to mount on. Like an extension. Cant remember the item. I had to buy one separately.

mine came with it, I think the newer classic kits come with the extension. Also, it works with the new auto drum powder measure that Lee just released