Rookie question

jgcpa

Spike
I've never messed with ML before, but just picked up an abused Traditions Buckhunter for basically free. ($20 and I got a case, gun, primers, powder, bullets/sabots) The last time it was fired it wasn't cleaned, and sat for an unknown number of years. After a fairly thorough cleaning it looks like I have some rust spots, heavier near the breech and smaller spots scattered thoughout. I'll work on it some more. I'm thinking it is safe to shoot but accuracy has likely decreased. The sights are broken, so I am looking for a scope/rings/mounts... and it occurred to me that maybe I am throwing good money after bad. I probably have spent $120 on bits and parts and supplies already, on something that might not be worth anything. To me, as long as it shoots a 4 inch group at 100yards I'd be happy. What do you all think? Trying to see if it is something I will like before shelling out for something nicer like an Optima or Acurra. Advice is welcomed!

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Never know about the accuracy of it till you get to shot it, as far as the rust spots may not affect it as much as you think ,what about the riflings in the barrel how do they look , did you clean it with a solvent or soapy water

jgcpa

Spike
I broke the rules and used solvents, being that is all I have ... and followed that up with several applications of some non petro based wonder gel. Ran a nylon brush through first, then a 12 ga brush for about an hour, let the gel work for about 3 hours, then went back at it for another hour. After cleaning patches I ran a liberal amount of hoppe gun oil through at the end so I could safely put it away for now. I know I need to clean it all back out and use wonder lube or bore butter or something of that nature before shooting it. The smaller rust spots seem to be up against the edges of the rifling, the bore looks more good than bad.. I've just NEVER seen a bore that had ANY rust.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's a product called EvapoRust, you can usually find it at Ace Hardware. I've used it many times on neglected BP rifles. Seal the nipple, use a funnel to fill the barrel, and let it soak overnight. It will dissolve all of the rust, even in any pitting. DO NOT get any on the blueing....it will remove it. If you happen to slip up or spill just take a wet cloth and wipe it off immediately.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Evaporust can also be found at O’Riellys, AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts stores. After using your going to want to use a grease or oil to coat the bore to prevent more rusting. It will remove any protecting oils or bluing in the bore.

jgcpa

Spike
Thanks for the replies! I'll try evaporust. It will be pretty cool if this thing is salvageable. If it shoots good then I can get that 209 conversion kit everyone says is the way to go.

jgcpa

Spike
Throw a cheap scope on it and shoot that thing. It might surprise you

That's the pIan, and I hope it shoots ok. We'll see. If not I learned something along the way.

Looking at a Vortex Crossfire 2-7/32... for 128... should be fine for ml distances, good eye relief too. Also saw a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5/32 for 85 but I'm not sure the $43 savings are worth stepping down any further. Thanks again!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I picked one up cheap at a gun show, when I got it home the bore looked like a sewer pipe! Overnight with EvapoRust followed by a couple of hours the next day using patches with some Pearl Drops toothpaste on it, and then warm soapy water until clean. It would group cloverleafs at 50 yards with the right load....

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Agree with the above as well.....went through a similar experience 20-30 years ago and was shocked at how accurate the barrel actually was.
The only additional thought I brought away from that was, if there are any sections of bore along side of raised rifling or down in any grooves that have really deep pitting, you might consider using as thick of a patch as you can handle to block as much blow-by through any rusted excavations like that

Last edited:

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang it, now I get to go down the rabbit hole of ball vs conical...
Sorry, I wasn't familiar with that brand / model.....should not have assumed it's barrel / twist would work with patched round balls.
What is the caliber and do you happen to know the rifling twist ?

herman

Six Pointer
A little history,Years ago one of my brothers,someone broke in his house and stole all of his guns.

So I sold him my encore 50 for a very good price but if when he got another muzzy I would get mine back at same price.So couple years later I got it back it sit in the safe for several years

I had gotten a can of the 209 planning on trying it out but just never got around to it.

Another brother brought his muzzy down so he could shoot it our range a week before muzzy season.Found out his scope was bad.So I told him that I would get the encore out and zero for him to use.He lives over a hundred miles from me and Iam around 25 miles from our club.

Now the first brother that I had sold it to didn't clean the barrel was using pyodex.You should have seen this barrel,you would think it would never shoot.But I gave it a try anyhow.

I wished I had taken a pic of the group but didn't.

Didn't shoot but 5 shots at 100 yds.

The first shot went right about 10 inches ,moved cross hair to bullet hole hit about 2 inches right of dot.Moved cross hair again

next hit top of 1 in dot,the next 2 were touching the last shot .

Couldn't believe how it shot with the screwed up barrel.Very little if any smoke.
It won't replace my smokless,will just keep it around for fun.
To beat it all he hunted 7 days and never saw a deer to try it on.

Shot these with measured 100 gr.Already measured out some different loads to try later.

jgcpa

Spike
Sorry, I wasn't familiar with that brand / model.....should not have assumed it's barrel / twist would work with patched round balls.
What is the caliber and do you happen to know the rifling twist ?
It is .50 cal and 1 in 32 twist... so after your comments I read up on it and that seems too fast for balls, but optimal for the more "modern" conicals.

jgcpa

Spike
So how did it shoot?
I'm getting bogged down at work and might not get a day off until April 15th...
But I have ordered scope mounts, a ramrod, a conical bullet pusher thingamajig, some prelubed patches, the evaporust, and a few other things I am forgetting. I need the scope and a new main spring, this one is kinked. Self inflicted kink : ( The range is over an hour from here and last time I went it I was there for a while... and I don't want to rush the process so it might have to wait until spring. Anyway, thanks to all for your time and words of wisdom, and I will update all yall when I get to the range.

jgcpa

Spike
So how did it shoot?
Thought I should resurrect this thread to follow up with you guys that gave me advice early this year. With BP season drawing close I finished cleaning and "seasoning" the bore and everything else. Put a cheap scope on it that came on another rifle I had bought, boresighted it at my kitchen table looking over to the neighbors house, and went to the range yesterday. Dang thing shoots great! First shot at 50 yards was 3 high and 1.5 right. Shot 2" groups at 50 yds off of a bench. I got it sighted in 2" high at 50, ought to be good at 100. I ran out of time otherwise I would have gone over the the longer range. Still might if I can find time. Thanks to all!

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Thought I should resurrect this thread to follow up with you guys that gave me advice early this year. With BP season drawing close I finished cleaning and "seasoning" the bore and everything else. Put a cheap scope on it that came on another rifle I had bought, boresighted it at my kitchen table looking over to the neighbors house, and went to the range yesterday. Dang thing shoots great! First shot at 50 yards was 3 high and 1.5 right. Shot 2" groups at 50 yds off of a bench. I got it sighted in 2" high at 50, ought to be good at 100. I ran out of time otherwise I would have gone over the the longer range. Still might if I can find time. Thanks to all!
Awesome! What loads did you try? Those are pretty decent groups and might not need any fiddling but fiddling is fun....

jgcpa

Spike
80 grains the first time. The second time I tried 90 and 100 grains at 100 yards and accuracy was not good. I chased my scope adjustments all around the target until I got close enough (and then the last load failed to discharge). I've had that happen both times at the range, and in the stand with a doe in my sights. Loud click, bye bye deer. I'm thinking either new powder and primers... both are pretty old, or maybe a 209 kit but last time I looked I couldn't find one for this gun. My blackpowder experience has had a steeper learning curve than I expected.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's all about keeping things clean and dry....components can fail but that usually ain't the first place to look.
If you don't have one, get a powder measure that will measure in 5 grain increments, sometimes a 5 grain difference is all it takes to make one a tack driver....

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ive found failure to fire is usually due to one of two things: 1) Bad/wet cap/primer. 2) Dirty or clogged nipple/breech. Basically fire ain't making it to the powder. You described a 'loud click' that doesn't sound like the primer/cap fired at all. I would start there...replace the primers/caps and see what happens.

jgcpa

Spike
One time I think it was me having a cleaning patch in my mouth and I put too much saliva in the barrel which got the powder in the next load wet. Ended up taking the scope off and gun apart and soaking it in water. The next time I put a few caps in and it didn't go boom, so then I pulled the nipple out and put a little powder in there, put the nipple back in... that felt sketchy!... then the next cap made it fire. The last time I had it loaded for muzzleloader but never saw a deer to shoot. Left it loaded for a few weeks and then tried to discharge it and it failed to fire again. pulled the nipple, put a few grains of fresh powder in it, new cap, boom. I have read folks say pyrodex powder has a long shelf life but I am thinking for this year I need to buy new powder and caps. I tried to find a 209 kit for this gun but it was not carried any more. Tipmoose, I think I'll get some new caps first and try that. I keep a passive dehumidifier in the ammo/powder drawer to keep stuff as dry as possible... fwiw.

I have a brass measurer with the 5 grain marks on it. Honestly where we hunt, in the woods the shots are all under 100 yards, closer to 60 on average. It doesn't have to be super accurate. The field edges have long shots but I'm not going to try anything over 100 yards with this bp rifle. Its all good. Thanks guys.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'd replace the nipple while Im at it. They're not expensive and it takes away one more variable.

jgcpa

Spike
I'd replace the nipple while Im at it. They're not expensive and it takes away one more variable.
Some one might say that new nipples get VERY expensive. :ROFLMAO:

I also think there is a special size drill bit you can use to ream out the hole, back to its original size... I have just been using wire fishing leader material that makes sure it isn't clogged but wont take care of any buildup in there. I'll have to check on that too.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Some one might say that new nipples get VERY expensive. :ROFLMAO:

I also think there is a special size drill bit you can use to ream out the hole, back to its original size... I have just been using wire fishing leader material that makes sure it isn't clogged but wont take care of any buildup in there. I'll have to check on that too.

Okay. You get what you pay for. Best of luck.