Rodman Crappie and Truckstop fish

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Made my annual trip down to Florida and on the first day of fishing the Rodman Crappie frustrated me like they did last year. I figured them out the next day and it was ON for Crappie the next evening. These fish for spillway fish are the most light biting crappie I have run across. Normally crappie below a spillway are fairly aggressive but these were not. Bait had to be right in front of them and sloooooooooow. They even did not want curlytails. Bait had to be slim and little action.
I then stopped at a truck stop on the way back and while I was waiting on my wife I spied some minnows in the sediment pond at this truck stop. I broke out my senko and proceeded to catch 3 bass and 1 bowfin in about 15 mins. I lost a big fish which probably was bigger bowfin.
Farther up the coast I pulled over at a tidal Creek and pulled out some Speckled Trout .

all in all it was a Great trip and I will have the crappie Video out in a week or so.

Attachments

• GOPR1862.jpg
    GOPR1862.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
My winter in Fla bluebird fishing buddy fished Rodman about a week ago and he also was disappointed. I think he said he caught only one bass and no crappie. He normally fishes the white curly tailed grub for crappie. Later he fished Grandin and didn't have much better luck. Should be much better by the time I make it down there IF I am lucky enough to get down there this winter/spring.

We fished Rodman a few times last spring. A beautiful lake with an awesome reputation for bass. However, I'm not too good at stump jumping. That lake has a zillion stumps well above water, barely above water, an inch under water and six inches under water. The water is so stained it's impossible to see a stump an inch under the top of the water. I was as nervous as a sore tailed cat at a rocking chair convention fishing that lake. Just drifting with the wind we were up on stumps more often than not. A couple of times I had to crank the big motor to pull us off of stumps.

From what I heard they drastically lower the water levels in Rodman every five years to do vegetation control. Supposedly this winter/spring is the fifth year. Just wonder if they have started drawing down yet?