Rodanthe/OI trip report...June 24, 2020

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Arrived at the third ramp south of Rodanthe (ramp 27, the first ramp where the island gets skinny) at 7am Wednesday morning. Sand fleas were in numbers I've hardly experienced before. Large ones, too. We loaded up for whatever the day was going to bring - with sheepshead on our mind. We spent a couple hours there fishing, too, with nary a nibble. The sand flea wasn't even picked off by anything, just the surf I'm sure. It was rough at the edge. The water had a brownish look to it although the wash looked clear as it receded.

Moved to the Rodanthe pier and fished there until 330pm. Nada there, either. A few people up and down the pier catching some small croaker. Tried for sheepshead along the pilings and got picked off nonstop but couldn't tell what was doing it, nor could I get a hookup no matter what I tried.

Stopped along hwy12 south of the new inlet bridge (south of OI) and found the same wave conditions but gorgeous green/blue water. No bites.

I ended up with a small spadefish and my son caught a small sheepshead, a 20-inch striper (on a flea!), and some smaller riff-raff fish near the Oregon Inlet bridge.

Pretty much disappointed overall with the result considering the effort (17-hr trip total). The convict fish is a pretty fish, though! (except for his mouth)

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To tack on to that, are boats still tying up to the old pilings ? Did they leave them as far as the catwalk?