Rod/Reel suggestions for teenager

xc8ball

Button Buck
First post here, so I figured I'd ask for some advice. My oldest daughter has really taken to fishing lately, and as a result so have I. I haven't fished seriously since I was young, and then it was just a bamboo pole and crickets. Right now she has a telescopic rod I think I picked up at wal-mart, but I am trying to figure out what kind of setup she needs. Any suggestions on rod/reel setups for someone just starting out would be much appreciated.

I'll throw these fun facts out there just in case they can answer any questions that might help with the advice. Two primary fishing spots will be Gaston, and Carolina Lakes in Harnett. Bass and catfish are the target. Just got a '88 Procraft bass boat so we could get off the land, and increase our chances a little, so we will likely be fishing off the boat most of the time. She's tiny, barely 4'11 and won't likely get much taller (not sure if it matters, but figured it might determine the length of the rod). Don't want to spend a fortune, but this appears to be more than a flash in the pan hobby for her, seems like it's something she's really into. Additionally, if my teenage daughter is begging me to take her fishing rather than the list of other things kids her age are doing, how can I put a price on that? Thanks in advance for the input. Look forward to conversing with everyone.

*Pic of the boat we just picked up

Attachments

• 44031547_923274221196886_28261546232643584_n.jpg
    44031547_923274221196886_28261546232643584_n.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 44030297_923274711196837_5074764380055273472_n.jpg
    44030297_923274711196837_5074764380055273472_n.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 30

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I would probably start her out with a 6'1/2 to 7' med heavy rod with a matching open faced spinning real,spooled with 12 - 14 lb test mono line, basic but will get the job down and simple to cast.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Id say look into an ugly stick as well. I would not go to heavy on the rod action. My fishing gear has been set in stone for years, but there are some uglysticks in the mix. You can probably find an ugly stick combo for a decent deal at cabelas or bass pro. I like rods in lighter action as opposed to heavier. I dont think i have anything bigger than a medium in freshwater stuff. The only items bigger would be for catfish or saltwater.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ill also say that i would go ahead and buy 2 combos for her. An ultralight combo and another bigger combo for bass. In freshwater, the ultralights i have see more action than any other rods/reels.

If i am solely fishing for bass, i carry a bigger rod/reel. But my go to is normally an ultralight.

recoil

Eight Pointer
I would recommend braid fishing line. A little easier to manage than mono. I run braid on all my kids spinning reels and have very few issues and it cast great.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the input. I think I will combine those, and see what I can come up with. Much appreciated.

My brother is a novice as well and he picked up a 6' spinning reel by Ugly Stick, which was left in my boat and I've been using it for Crappie....I had to set down my $100 rod reel combo it felt too good and straight up caught fish haha. They make a great combo for a good price.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Shakespeare makes an Ugly Stik lite spinning rod.

I have one. Not bad for the cheap price

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Some kids have trouble with open faced reel if can use Ugly stick combos like these guys mentioned are great good thing about fishing is you can have as much fun with zebco 33 as a 200 dollar comb. Hope y'all catch lot fish have ball spending time.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
IMO the reels on the new ugly stick combos are junk.

I bought a lews combo a while back and I prefer it over any ugly stick I have. The reel is awesome and the rod itself is perfect for fishing plastics.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I usually buy a stand alone ugly stik and a $40-50 Shimano/Okuma reel and load up with braid.

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
Get her the same open face rig you like. If interest drops, no worries. If you can get the same rod you like, you can always paint it to customize for her. (Dupli-a-color automotive paints are fantastic.) Take time to mask off the guides and the handle and paint it whatever color she would like.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
my vote would be a run of the mill ugly stick combo.

when she proves she wants to continue to fish, get her a nicer one for her birthday or some other occasion. that way, she learns on the cheapo and if it gets damaged it's no big deal.
I was gonna say the same

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Even a bigger Shakespeare rod for cats isn’t bad on price. I beat the crap outta mine and it still works great. @nccatfisher might have more input he’s given me sound advice on all things cats