Rockfish we're chewing tonight

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Big swimbaits work great. We caught a bunch of em' on tiny little paddle tail baits. We figured that pattern out on the Roanoke a few years ago. We caught and kept a couple stripers and when we processed them we opened the gut expecting to see large baitfish like shad or any other number of spawning baitfish in the system during spring, but no.....they were packed full of little creek minnows. The next year, we caught the dickens out of em on these little paddle tails. Big fish on small baits and light line is my favorite way to fish. We go back up into the creeks in the flooded timber and cast at those massive boils that sound like dynamite explosions. Ah man, so fun.

Fish

Spike
Big swimbaits work great. We caught a bunch of em' on tiny little paddle tail baits. We figured that pattern out on the Roanoke a few years ago. We caught and kept a couple stripers and when we processed them we opened the gut expecting to see large baitfish like shad or any other number of spawning baitfish in the system during spring, but no.....they were packed full of little creek minnows. The next year, we caught the dickens out of em on these little paddle tails. Big fish on small baits and light line is my favorite way to fish. We go back up into the creeks in the flooded timber and cast at those massive boils that sound like dynamite explosions. Ah man, so fun.

What weight jig heads on the swim baits ?

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
What weight jig heads on the swim baits ?

We found some 1/16oz and 1/32oz jigs that have a bit heavier hook than a normal crappie jig head. Not sure the brand but that's what I would look for.

Just a quick search and found these voodoo jig heads that look pretty hefty.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We found some 1/16oz and 1/32oz jigs that have a bit heavier hook than a normal crappie jig head. Not sure the brand but that's what I would look for.

Just a quick search and found these voodoo jig heads that look pretty hefty.
You can also try the 1/16 oz saltwater jig heads from somewhere like BPS. They have a longer shank and heavier hook. Works with 2.5-3" baits I use them on an A-rig for striper and bass in the lakes to keep the weight down.