Roanoke stripers?

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
I'm curious if the low water flow in the Roanoke has the stripers bunched up in the lower portions. Does anyone have a fishing report they wouldn't mind sharing. I'm planning on going to Jamesville Saturday.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
My bud and I have been down to the Jamesville area twice over the past couple of weeks and haven't caught squat. They're still out at the mouth of the river at the sound.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
There are always a few in Late Feb, Early march caught between Scotland neck and Weldon. Most may be lower but there are some west of Scotland Neck Right now. Guys at the Weldon ramp were catching a few just down from Weldon 2 days go...

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
There are always a few in Late Feb, Early march caught between Scotland neck and Weldon. Most may be lower but there are some west of Scotland Neck Right now. Guys at the Weldon ramp were catching a few just down from Weldon 2 days go...

thanks a bunch.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I just got off the boat with a guide that fishes the Jamesville area a lot. He said it had been a poor season in the Jamesville area so far this year. The reports that i am hearing from the NCWRC are that the water flow is not expecter to improve in the near future due to very little rain in the roanoke river basen.
We fished the Bath creek area off of the pamlico river and caught a bunch in the 15 to 17 inch area. We had a couple in the estimated 20 inch range get off. Was a cold day on the water but was fun.

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
I just got off the boat with a guide that fishes the Jamesville area a lot. He said it had been a poor season in the Jamesville area so far this year. The reports that i am hearing from the NCWRC are that the water flow is not expecter to improve in the near future due to very little rain in the roanoke river basen.
We fished the Bath creek area off of the pamlico river and caught a bunch in the 15 to 17 inch area. We had a couple in the estimated 20 inch range get off. Was a cold day on the water but was fun.

Were you with Richard?

jopel

Four Pointer
Contributor
Any updates on stripers at weldon? We're planning on heading down next weekend if fish are there.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I am hearing some reports of catching good numbers on flukes and at times they are hitting top water around the landing. Just remember that if you are using top water to switch the hooks out for a single hook with no Barbee. I plan to get out there soon myself.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Took the family Monday. Had a really hard time catching bait and had to buy shiners. Went down past the fish camp and caught a few down there, no keepers.

The 2 youngest got bored so, back up to the ramp to drop them and the wife off to play on the play ground. My oldest and I stayed around the ramp and caught a few more including a 21.5 keeper.

Not a bad day, but is it ever a bad day to have the family on the water?

Any body got suggestions on where I can catch quality bait?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Any body got suggestions on where I can catch quality bait?

With a cast net the rocks upstream of the ramp is about as good as anywhere. Same with a Sibiki rig..... Make sure you know the herring laws and limitations...

How did the water level look??

Last edited:

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
Put 14 in the boat last Wednesday from Jamesville downstream, 2 were just shy of 18", and all but 5 were too big. All over 23" biggest being close to 26"

Crestliner

Six Pointer
With a cast net the rocks upstream of the ramp is about as good as anywhere. Same with a Sibiki rig..... Make sure you know the herring laws and limitations...

How did the water level look??

Water was running around 6000 and level was good the rock across from the ramp was only about 2 under water.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
If you want to catch bait you need to do either 1 of 2 things. Put in at the ramp in Roanoke Rapids lake near the dam and go over to the dam and throw , or better is to put in at the Thelma Ramp and motor up to Gaston Dam and throw. Those are the only 2 consistent ways to get shad close by ( free).........

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Herring are illegal to possess. Great bait but not legal. Crestliner saw you there yesterday. The bite was slow, but I did catch a couple nice cats on some live bream.

I caught a couple nice ones on the Tar, Saturday. One was tagged but was a little over 23" and one was a tad over 21". It will make some good fish cakes. Water is super low, just enough water so I bump bottom only in a couple spots, about 8" of water. I got some strange looks from folks bank fishing when I put the 17' boat in. I bought the boat for fishing the Tar though.

Attachments

• 0415071903.jpg
    0415071903.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Mountaineer91

Four Pointer
You can possess and fish with herring under 6 inches. Roanoke Sportsman has them for sale down in Williamston most days. Not sure it would be possible to catch or net them yourself like the old days since they have to be so small.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
If you want to catch bait you need to do either 1 of 2 things. Put in at the ramp in Roanoke Rapids lake near the dam and go over to the dam and throw , or better is to put in at the Thelma Ramp and motor up to Gaston Dam and throw. Those are the only 2 consistent ways to get shad close by ( free).........

Thanks Mack. I tried behind the Gaston dam. The ones I caught were about 2" and only a handful. Several boats behind the dam were having a hard time getting bait.

Spoke with one of the guides on the river, Jeff on the Proud Mary, he said that everyone is having a hard time catching bait.

Greg of Greggofish mentioned on his Facebook that bait was tough.

Thoughts of going to one of the bridges on Gaston?

Thanks for all the information, Mack it really helps out.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know anything about Gaston. I don,t think I have ever been on the Lake fishing. All of my fishing in that area has been on the Old lake( RR lake) and the River. One of my BIL was the first guide ever on the river that I know of and my other BIL would only Bass fish the old lake. I spent many days on the old lake with him with both of them .

Mountaineer91

Four Pointer
Does anyone know how much they normally sell shad for in the large tanks on the left going into Weldon and/or at the store in Weldon (Muddy Banks???)? I have never stopped at either place. Thanks.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
The shad are usually $10 per dozen. But I am not sure that the guy at the camp ground has been open much. The word is that everyone has been having a very difficult time catching bait. I have even using the large bass minnows from the bait shop on roanoke Ave. in Roanoke Rapids. He charges $5 for the large minnows and 9 for the XL. My family put near 55 in the boat today using them.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
I went by the shad place near the campground on Monday and it wasn't set up this year. I tried calling Muddy Banks but the number was disconnected or no longer in service.

I bought my bait at Bargin Land tackle on Roanoke Ave, like Country RN.

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer
Thanks Mack. I tried behind the Gaston dam. The ones I caught were about 2" and only a handful. Several boats behind the dam were having a hard time getting bait.

Spoke with one of the guides on the river, Jeff on the Proud Mary, he said that everyone is having a hard time catching bait.

Greg of Greggofish mentioned on his Facebook that bait was tough.

Thoughts of going to one of the bridges on Gaston?

Thanks for all the information, Mack it really helps out.

We used to catch a little bait around some of the bridges on Gaston, but it was never as easy as it was at the dams. We only did it in a pinch. If they are not behind the dams, I doubt the bridges will be any better.

buzzbait

Button Buck
Made our 1st trip of the year yesterday.The bait guy is still selling bait but currently does not have any shad. He said it has been very hard to find shad in the lake this year.He has his tanks set up at the old tire store close to the ramp. All he had was jumbo bass minnows. We put in around 6:15. Fishing was real good at the ramp in the rapids for about the 1st 45 min. We anchored up and managed a few on top water and fluke minnows. We finally headed down river and started drifting the bass minnows. We ended up the day with 30 or 35. one that was 23", one just under 22", and another just over 18". All of the other fish were 15-16". We drifted along with another boat who had caught shad at Gaston early that morning. They were catching 3 times as many fish and the majority of those were keepers. I think the type of bait makes a huge difference. I will not go back without shad.

BUZZZZ

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Thanks for the report Buzz. Planning on a couple of trips this weekend. With the bait situation as it is I went by a local bait shop and bought 23 doz @ $4/doz extra large, just in case I can't find bait.

Anybody willing to offer suggestions on where to get bait out of Gaston? I'll understand if you want to keep it secret.

Thanks Newsome for suggestion

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I'll be there bright and early Monday morning with my Minnesota client, he pays for the entire boat all week. Look for the AlumaCraft with "Brown Dog Guide Services" on each side. Wave or stop by if you can, I would welcome the "southern hospitality after spending a day or two with him!!!

buzzbait

Button Buck
I'll be there bright and early Monday morning with my Minnesota client, he pays for the entire boat all week. Look for the AlumaCraft with "Brown Dog Guide Services" on each side. Wave or stop by if you can, I would welcome the "southern hospitality after spending a day or two with him!!!

Sounds like you will be having fun next week. :):) Are you catching your bait or do you try to buy it? I have never tried to catch bait so I am also looking for any tips on finding some shad. I have a bait tank so I should not have an issue keeping them alive for a day or so. I am riding in a camo 18ft express. Kind of looks like a bass boat but all aluminum. We caught the majority of our fish a mile or so down river. Good luck next week.

BUZZZZ

Last edited:

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like you will be having fun next week. :):) Are you catching your bait or do you try to buy it? I have never tried to catch bait so I am also looking for any tips on finding some shad. I have a bait tank so I should not have an issue keeping them alive for a day or so. I am riding in a camo 18ft express. Kind of looks like a bass boat but all aluminum. We caught the majority of our fish a mile or so down river. Good luck next week.

BUZZZZ

I don't fish with bait at all, strictly artificial and no fish are kept regardless of size. If it's big enough I CPR it. (catch, photograph and release) as well as measure if they think they may want a mount.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
I tried to day, needless to say I've had better days. We tried behind the big rock, drifted to down to troublefield,went and looked down by the pier below the power lines. Didn't see anybody slaying them. Going to try tomorrow weather permitting.

Hope others are doing better.