Roanoke rapids lake

Burntduck_island

Button Buck
Has anyone hunted Roanoke rapids lake? Thinking about heading up that way Thursday for a change in scenery any info would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I live 5 minutes from the ramp. You really need to scout the area in the day light. There are more stump beds that you want to deal with in the dark. There are also submerged concrete platforms from an old rail road that used to cross the lake and they are not marked. The water levels will change rapidly. Last year we motored to the back side of the lake in 3 foot of water, set out 5 dozen decoys and a little over an hour later they were all laid over on their side. We waited until well after dark and had to push the boat 300 yards through the sludge before the motor would do any good.
There's been more than one lower unit lost out there and I know at least one buddy that have had to go diving for their tiller steer motors due to hitting stumps.

Burntduck_island

Button Buck
I’m prolly gonna head up Thursday and get there around noon and scout and try to hunt Friday morning if I like what I see. Has anyone had any luck these few days?

• Angry
Reactions: RBR

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
Has anyone had any luck these few days?
I am not trying to be rude, but no one is going to say if they have had luck in a particular spot on a internet forum. That would be a poor decision and just calls more people to a location. If said location was any good to start with it gets shot out first week of the season.
Scouting will be your friend. but be careful. I am posting some pictures below for your reference. All of these stumps and the concrete block work in the background of the dog picture all are usually just below the surface of the water. These pictures were taken on very low water.
stump.jpgstump 2.jpg
concrete.jpg

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Yep, ^ above is correct. My BIL lives on the lake and if you don't know it you should not go out there especially in the dark. I have fished it bunches with both BIL's and it will hurt your feeling quick and pocketbook quick.

Burntduck_island

Button Buck
I’ll definitely be scouting since it is a new area to me figured it would be best to try during the week so I don’t have to fight the crowd and go later in the day to respect anyone who might be hunting on Thursday. Is that guide I have heard about even hunting the lake this year?

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I’ll definitely be scouting since it is a new area to me figured it would be best to try during the week so I don’t have to fight the crowd and go later in the day to respect anyone who might be hunting on Thursday. Is that guide I have heard about even hunting the lake this year?

He doesn't set up until later. There have been some local laws passed in attempt to make hunting a bit fairer for everyone. No one is supposed to leave gear soaking overnight any longer, much less for an entire half of the season.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Some good advice has been given already but I will echo the statements about hidden dangers. I had been boating up there for nearly 10 years and still had an accident a few years back that forced me to dive into the cold water and retrieve a tiller steer motor that had ejected from our boat like a rocket. Many people here, including myself, have had great hunts up there but those hunts probably make up 5% of my overall time on the lake.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
He doesn't set up until later. There have been some local laws passed in attempt to make hunting a bit fairer for everyone. No one is supposed to leave gear soaking overnight any longer, much less for an entire half of the season.
what are the laws that were passed; can you share the content? I think some were proposed in the legislature but did not get passed. I may be wrong on that so any info would be good.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
what are the laws that were passed; can you share the content? I think some were proposed in the legislature but did not get passed. I may be wrong on that so any info would be good.
According to the local wildlife agent, it passed and is enforceable for this season. The link posted above should be the info you were looking for.