Rio ammo

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Never shot any of the sub gauge stuff, but have shot the 12 & 20 loads and didn’t have any major issues. Anyone with experience shooting Rio sub gauge ammo?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Shot quite a bit of .410. Only issue is their roll crimp stuff in 3” was too long to cycle in my 1100.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
For the life of me I have never understood why people get hung up over "it's cleaner than XXX". Do ya'll not ever clean your guns between hunts?? If your going to clean it when you get home what difference does a dirty barrel make during transport??

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
For the life of me I have never understood why people get hung up over "it's cleaner than XXX". Do ya'll not ever clean your guns between hunts?? If your going to clean it when you get home what difference does a dirty barrel make during transport??
1) if the ammo is dirty enough the frequency of cleaning goes up. I do not clean a shotgun just because I've pulled the trigger.
2) depending what you're shooting dirty ammo might be enough to stop a finicky gun (think gas autoloader.)
3) Excessively cruddy shells mean I have to spend more time cleaning parts of the gun that I might not otherwise have to spend more than a second on.
4) If hunting with an over-under then breaking the thing apart (removing the stock) to clean the internals is enough of a hassle that I don't personally do it more than once or twice a year.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
1) if the ammo is dirty enough the frequency of cleaning goes up. I do not clean a shotgun just because I've pulled the trigger.
2) depending what you're shooting dirty ammo might be enough to stop a finicky gun (think gas autoloader.)
3) Excessively cruddy shells mean I have to spend more time cleaning parts of the gun that I might not otherwise have to spend more than a second on.
4) If hunting with an over-under then breaking the thing apart (removing the stock) to clean the internals is enough of a hassle that I don't personally do it more than once or twice a year.
All of these except number 2 are the reasons why I was asking. Not to mention gunpowder is corrosive and on a high dollar over under, that’s not something you want even a little sitting around in a nook or craney. Performance wise, un burned powder/ dirty = loss of shell performance.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Agree with all the above and personally unless my gun just gets soaking wet it’s not getting cleaned every hunt during duck season and the dirtier the shell burns the more I have to clean it.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

The reason I get hung up on dirty shells is because I’ve shot plenty of shells that ARE NOT dirty. I cleaned my clays guns when I got home every single time.
But if I have to clean my hunting shotguns for them to work properly every time I hunt, then I should've researched the gun I was buying better and bought quality the first time. .

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Maybe I need to define "clean"..... Swab out the bores to remove any residue then wipe the gun down on every surface to prevent rust and to remove any fingerprints. Takes me about 4 minutes.

And @JONOV, don't know what brand of O/U your using but an annual break down is more than sufficient. I put 20 to 25,000 shells per year through my clays gun and it gets broken down annually, no more....