Rimfire Competitions

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My Son has been asking me a lot if there are any 22 rifle/pistol competitions that we could go to so here I am. I found NRL22 with my google fu but appears the local club in Trinity lost range access. Does something like the 22lr version of 3D bow shoots exist?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I just saw your PM and responded, but all my stuff is computer based. It seems I remember a club somewhere in the area that held monthly rimfire matches. I"ll check around and see what I can find and post back here.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Look into the "Steel Challenge" matches. My 10 year old son has been shooting the matches for the last 2 years.

You can shoot rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle, pistol caliber carbine, or centerfire pistol (caliber restricted). Divisions include stock and open categories.

The "normal" match we shoot consists of 6 stages. Each stage consists of 5 targets (4 normal plates and a stop plate). You can engage the plates in any order you like with the exception of the stop plate. If you shoot the stop plate before hitting the other plates you incur a time penalty for the miss. You shoot 5 strings per stage. Your slowest time is thrown out and the remaining 4 are averaged together for your stage score. It is preferred to have 5 magazines but you can get away with fewer if you have someone who can load while you shoot. I wouldn't show up with less than 3 mags for your rifle/pistol (depending on capacity).

We shoot rimfire rifle open. He uses a 15-22 and I shoot a 10/22. The range that hosts the match is "The Range at True North" in Oxford.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My Son has been asking me a lot if there are any 22 rifle/pistol competitions that we could go to so here I am. I found NRL22 with my google fu but appears the local club in Trinity lost range access. Does something like the 22lr version of 3D bow shoots exist?

I don't know of any roving target shooting matches in NC (or heck elsewhere) but in southern cumberland county,,Crosse Creek Rifle and Pistol Club (used to be Crosse Creek Longrifles back when it was mostly a Black Powder club) does CMP rimfire matches - they start back up this month

click on match info, then at the bottom of next page at the bottom is CMP rimfire - check dates and match info - need to be an experienced position shooter but expect we could get your son up to speed fast,,, I used to shoot a lot of CMP type matches

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not old enough per their rules yet.
1.3 DIVISIONS

1.3.1 JUNIOR DIVISION: An elementary school that contains up to and including the 8th grade or a middle school student as defined by the standard course of study for the school district in which the school is located. May not have reached the age of 16 by April 30, 2022.

1.3.2 SENIOR DIVISION: Full-time student who has not yet graduated from high school

1.3.3 A junior may compete on a senior team. If a junior aged competitor competes on a senior team they will be considered a senior competitor and only be eligible for senior individual awards.

1.3.4 If a student from a middle school or elementary school is too old to compete on that school’s junior team, they are eligible to compete on the high school team for that school attendance zone.

1.3.5 A team must compete and qualify within their own District Tournament to be eligible to complete in the State Tournament.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Look into the "Steel Challenge" matches. My 10 year old son has been shooting the matches for the last 2 years.

You can shoot rimfire pistol, rimfire rifle, pistol caliber carbine, or centerfire pistol (caliber restricted). Divisions include stock and open categories.

The "normal" match we shoot consists of 6 stages. Each stage consists of 5 targets (4 normal plates and a stop plate). You can engage the plates in any order you like with the exception of the stop plate. If you shoot the stop plate before hitting the other plates you incur a time penalty for the miss. You shoot 5 strings per stage. Your slowest time is thrown out and the remaining 4 are averaged together for your stage score. It is preferred to have 5 magazines but you can get away with fewer if you have someone who can load while you shoot. I wouldn't show up with less than 3 mags for your rifle/pistol (depending on capacity).

We shoot rimfire rifle open. He uses a 15-22 and I shoot a 10/22. The range that hosts the match is "The Range at True North" in Oxford.

Looks like a blast and appears to be one on February 5th. May have to put that on the calendar.