Riflescopes / Plex Reticles

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Regarding standard scope "plex" reticles, I have long been a fan of Zeiss's Z-Plex for deer hunting. Reason being, you can see the crosshairs well enough to place them on the vitals of a deer until the end of legal shooting time....and beyond. I haven't found that to be the case with most other quality scopes I've owned or tested over the years. Towards the end of shooting light, most decent scopes have good enough glass to see the deer well enough, but lining up the crosshairs on the vitals well enough to execute the shot is another story. They're too thin and/or too faint. Again, that's why I love Zeiss's Z-Plex. I own 3 of them and need another...but I thought I would float a question on the forum here regarding crosshairs among the other brands.

My question is this: For those of you who are familiar with the Zeiss Z-Plex reticle and get what I'm talking about, what other scope manufacturers are you aware of who offer similar reticles? The Z-Plex is thick and bold on the outside, and fine and bold on the inside. And it will flat show up on a deer's side at dusk. I'm wondering what other options there might be other than Zeiss to get the same performance in a plex reticle? Thanks....any input would be much appreciated.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Meopta.........they made the Conquest for Zeiss and once Zeiss dropped them, Meopta started selling them under their own name. I think the meapro is basically the old conquests
You are correct....the reticle is a little different but pretty close, well the one I looked at was anyway.

I have several of the older Conquest scopes and they are by far my favorite.
I always liked the heavy duplex reticle in the Leupold and #4.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Meopta.........they made the Conquest for Zeiss and once Zeiss dropped them, Meopta started selling them under their own name. I think the meapro is basically the old conquests
Thanks to both bryguy and MJ74....this is exactly what I was wanting to know. I've already started researching Meopta and it's obvious their scopes are in fact the old Conquests. I will have a new Meopta before next season....just need to decide on which model and then find the best deal. Thanks again!

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
You are correct....the reticle is a little different but pretty close, well the one I looked at was anyway.

I have several of the older Conquest scopes and they are by far my favorite.
I always liked the heavy duplex reticle in the Leupold and #4.

sent from...... Tapatalk
Thanks to both bryguy and MJ74....this is exactly what I was wanting to know. I've already started researching Meopta and it's obvious their scopes are in fact the old Conquests. I will have a new Meopta before next season....just need to decide on which model and then find the best deal. Thanks again!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Check with cameralandny.com.....they usually have the Meopta 3.5x10x44 on sale and they are suppose to be nice. A friend of mine just bought one but I haven't looked at it yet. Probably set it up for him in the next couple weeks so I'll let ya know about it then.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Check with cameralandny.com.....they usually have the Meopta 3.5x10x44 on sale and they are suppose to be nice. A friend of mine just bought one but I haven't looked at it yet. Probably set it up for him in the next couple weeks so I'll let ya know about it then.

sent from...... Tapatalk
Great lead! I checked cameralandny.com and found the 3.5-10x44 for $400 and would have ordered it except it had the #4 reticle instead of Z-Plex. I'll keep an eye on their website and hopefully they'll list the Z-Plex version soon. Thanks again for the tip!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

sent from...... Tapatalk
Great lead! I checked cameralandny.com and found the 3.5-10x44 for $400 and would have ordered it except it had the #4 reticle instead of Z-Plex. I'll keep an eye on their website and hopefully they'll list the Z-Plex version soon. Thanks again for the tip!

I would call and talk to either Doug or Neil and see what they have. The website is not always up to date with what they have. Plus sometimes you get an even better deal calling in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I'm currently running vx3i's but am interested in the Meopta as well. I'd really like some feedback on how well these scopes track from someone who actually owns one instead of reading reviews. Thanks. Mike

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I would call and talk to either Doug or Neil and see what they have. The website is not always up to date with what they have. Plus sometimes you get an even better deal calling in

I talked to Neil and ended up ordering the 3.5-10x44 with the #4 reticle cameraland.com had in stock for $400. Though I have always loved the Z-Plex, I read good things about the #4 and figured I would give it a look. Neil told me I could get a refund or exchange if I didn't like it. Can't beat that! Thanks for all the information...you've been a big help!

Familyman

Twelve Pointer

sent from...... Tapatalk
Thought I'd follow up and let you know I ordered the 3.5-10x44 with the #4 reticle from cameralandny.com for $400. Thanks for all your help! I had never heard of cameralandny.com before....but I'll be checking them for any optics needs I have from now on. Thanks again!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns

sent from...... Tapatalk
Thought I'd follow up and let you know I ordered the 3.5-10x44 with the #4 reticle from cameralandny.com for $400. Thanks for all your help! I had never heard of cameralandny.com before....but I'll be checking them for any optics needs I have from now on. Thanks again!
Good deal...let me know how you like it.

sent from...... Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

I talked to Neil and ended up ordering the 3.5-10x44 with the #4 reticle cameraland.com had in stock for $400. Though I have always loved the Z-Plex, I read good things about the #4 and figured I would give it a look. Neil told me I could get a refund or exchange if I didn't like it. Can't beat that! Thanks for all the information...you've been a big help!

Yeah those guys are really top notch as far as service goes.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Interesting thread. I was leaning towards a new Zeiss Conquest Zeiss 4-16x44 for a new Browning Bar 30-06. I'll be curious to see what you think of the Meopta. I like that price tag a lot better

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Interesting thread. I was leaning towards a new Zeiss Conquest Zeiss 4-16x44 for a new Browning Bar 30-06. I'll be curious to see what you think of the Meopta. I like that price tag a lot better
It's on the way! Once I get a chance to check it out thoroughly I'll post about it.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I just ended up getting a meostar 3-12x56 R1 and it’s I’m a fan..... I don’t think you can go wrong with a Meopta from all the reading I’ve done

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I'm currently running vx3i's but am interested in the Meopta as well. I'd really like some feedback on how well these scopes track from someone who actually owns one instead of reading reviews. Thanks. Mike

I did 5 box tests and each tracked exactly as it should and returned to zero.... can’t give you a torture test since I’ve only had mine a week.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer

sent from...... Tapatalk
They are great scopes. I have had one for three years and couldn't be happier.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

I did 5 box tests and each tracked exactly as it should and returned to zero.... can’t give you a torture test since I’ve only had mine a week.

That’s good to know. I have not heard much said about the tracking on them.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I received the Meopta Meostar 3.5-10x44 scope with #4 reticle today. I love the scope itself in terms of clarity and brightness...and it does in fact look just like a Zeiss Conquest...but I'm not overly excited about the #4 reticle. The inner crosshairs are too thin for my liking. I will likely return it for a credit and select a Meopta model with the Z-plex reticle.
Very happy with the glass....just not crazy about the #4 reticle.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Never looked at the #4 but I do know the z-plex I looked thru was close to the Zeiss. If I remember right the thin crosshair was wider on the Meopta.
At least they will let you send it back for the z-plex.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I mailed back the Meopta Meopro 3.5-10x44 with the #4 reticle this morning, and after corresponding via email with Doug at Camera Land, they'll be exchanging it for the Meopro 4.5-14x44 with the Z-Plex I originally wanted, for just $50 more.

MJ74 and bryguy...you guys were right...Doug and Neil of Camera Land provide top notch customer service! Thanks again for that tip.

I'll post once I receive the new Meopta 4.5-14x44 with Z-Plex and have had a chance to check it out.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
As promised, here is my update on the Meopta Meopro 4.5-14x44 with Z-Plex reticle I ordered from Cameraland. I received it Friday and got a chance to check it out over the weekend, and am pleased to say I will be keeping this one! For my needs, the Z-Plex reticle beats the heck out of the #4 reticle the 3.5-10x44 I initially purchased had in it.

I compared the new 4.5-14x44 to my Zeiss Diavari-C and Zeiss Conquests, all 3-9 with Z-Plex, and found the new Meopta comparable in clarity, brightness, and crosshair visibility in low light conditions. For my hunting needs, I'm confident it will do its job nicely.

Thanks to those of you who weighed-in on Meopta as a manufacturer of quality optics, and for pointing out to me that Meopta had been making the Conquest line of scopes for Zeiss in the past. I wanted a Zeiss-like plex reticle and that's what I got in this Meopta scope. Lord willing, I look forward to scoping out a deer or two through it next fall. Thanks again!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Glad to hear you like it.....just $50 bucks more for the reticle you like plus added magnification is a deal.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
As promised, here is my update on the Meopta Meopro 4.5-14x44 with Z-Plex reticle I ordered from Cameraland. I received it Friday and got a chance to check it out over the weekend, and am pleased to say I will be keeping this one! For my needs, the Z-Plex reticle beats the heck out of the #4 reticle the 3.5-10x44 I initially purchased had in it.

I compared the new 4.5-14x44 to my Zeiss Diavari-C and Zeiss Conquests, all 3-9 with Z-Plex, and found the new Meopta comparable in clarity, brightness, and crosshair visibility in low light conditions. For my hunting needs, I'm confident it will do its job nicely.

Thanks to those of you who weighed-in on Meopta as a manufacturer of quality optics, and for pointing out to me that Meopta had been making the Conquest line of scopes for Zeiss in the past. I wanted a Zeiss-like plex reticle and that's what I got in this Meopta scope. Lord willing, I look forward to scoping out a deer or two through it next fall. Thanks again!

I've got a few of those Diavari-C scopes and they have proven to be my favorite variable power hunting scopes. I've had the first one for at least 20 years and wouldn't trade it for a box full of the Zeiss Terra scopes.

The Leupold heavy duplex is another favorite reticle of mine.

<>< Fish