Rifle zero

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I agree and please take time to know your gun. But this sight in method will put the average shooter in the kill zone with most deer sized targets. I don't recommend this for every hunter.

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
7mm-08 said it best. I have seen first hand guys who did the 25 yard method and then wondered why the were missing or wounding deer. Then they shot the rifles at 100+ yards only to find out that they were way off. Only takes a fraction of an inch off at 25 to be off several inches off at 100. Simple trigonometry. And the height of the scope in relation to the barrel plays a huge factor. To me it is just irresponsible or lazy to sight in at 25 and not check at any distance you plan to shoot a deer at.

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
And that wasnt a shot at anyone or the OP. Just seen first hand that the 25 yard method will fail you. Nothing can replace practice and actually knowing where your bullet hits at any given range that you plan to hunt.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Recommend every shooter to shoot a lot, not to just verify the sights but to be very familiar and comfortable with the firearm. Even try shooting in the same conditions and situations you encounter while hunting. I shoot a fair bit, a lot more than most people but less than some. Sometimes I shoot in 25 yard increments from 25 yards to 250 yards, my max range for where I shoot. That works great being my PBR for some of my rifles in around 250 yards.

I hear of people not being able to connect on game that might have had a different out come if they would have been one with the firearm. When the action is quick there is no substitute for practice.

Last edited:

BAR25-06

Six Pointer
dumped a basket 8 in a pile this evening but only about 60 yards. POI was about an inch high of aiming point. I had my scope set on 200 yard parallax, not sure how much that would affect POI.