Rifle build input

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Can not do 338LM on that action.
They do it on the longer super mag action.

So I say stick with 338 RM for that action and big game.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm leaning towards just sticking another .300 Win Mag pipe on there. Any suggestions in regards to barrel length?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Depends on barrel weight and what you will really do with it.
Like you said you want to hunt with it.

Todays powder and load data fo carry hunting I would go with a 24" and move up to a mid weight between the heavy bull abd the normal mag weight.

I have a 300WM Sendero bull no flute that is way to heavy to carry or do a stalk hunt but great for stands and still hunting.
doing the 24 you have better balance and, stiffer than normal light or mag barrel and about the same as a mag barrel in 26 or better.

If you look around there are a lot of guns going shorter than the normal length but bump the barrel weight more. Some sniper packages are standard 24 and some playing with 22 in a 300wm.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a Sendero SF, in 300 WM, I actually liked the way it balanced. I had thought about a 26" or 28" Heavy Sporter barrel

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you want to hunt with it I dont think I would want a 28. Generally they are reserved for bench guns, that and the 30".
Easy way to add weight for the bench and it gives you long life as if you shoot a bunch you can cut back .5" or so each year for a great crown and keep muzzle erosion in check.

BTW the SF was lighter as mine was not fluted.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
True. I'm wanting to shoot heavier bullets, specifically the 180 or 200 gr Accubonds. So I was leaning towards the longer barrel to keep the speed up there.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
If you don't need to stabilize super long bullets and don;t need the incremental velocity boost then a 22" might be handier. If I had a bunch of guns already in that range I would build one to reach out and would want to run the heavy long high bc bullets. I don;t know how heavy of a 30 cal you can get a LRAB in. I haven't spent much time with the new LRAB at all but have been anxious to. There is a guy that hunts with GAP a lot who swears by Scenars on game and has taken a truck load of huge trophies. I haven't played with those on game either but the hollow nose and solid tail seems like it would act like a bonded for the most part.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Looks like 210 grains with a BC of .730. If that was what I was wanting I would load one dummy and get a reamer made for it with the maximum COAL I could fit in my magazine. I think Lapua makes WM brass. I would probably go that route. Might need to modify the metal and run a Wyatt's extended mag to get the right oal.