CRC

Old Mossy Horns

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yea you can’t blame them

Dangerous job and they are underpaid

Add on the amount of BS they have to deal with and lack of respect

I respect LEO’s and appreciate what they do but I surely don’t blame the ones that throw their hands up and say to hell with this

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I can tell you that things began going south back in 92 when I left GSP. The lack of respect for the badge and the man was sliding downhill faster than a ski slope. I didn't want to leave but knew it was in MY best interest. Found a new career and have lived happily ever after....

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I don’t even see them downtown anymore.

The crazies just walk right up to you and either aggressively beg or just get hostile.

Big gangs of randos roaming around high like a hoard of zombies.

All the normal people just kinda gel together in big groups so the weirdos don’t corner you.

APD used to at least SHOW a presence. But now they can’t even sit in their cars downtown without being antagonized or videotaped.
Much less be able to actually enforce the laws that all these people are breaking.

We don’t go downtown anymore.
Maybe to south slope for a beer during the day or down in the village and down 25.

But city of Asheville is for the loony birds.

I get why they’re all leaving.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

The crazies just walk right up to you and either aggressively beg or just get hostile.

All the normal people just kinda gel together in big groups so the weirdos don’t corner you.

APD used to at least SHOW a presence. But now they can’t even sit in their cars downtown without being antagonized or videotaped.
Much less be able to actually enforce the laws that all these people are breaking.

Maybe to south slope for a beer during the day or down in the village and down 25.

I grew up in Fletcher. We saw the writing on the wall 25 years ago and got the hell outta Dodge!

Still have some family and friends up that way that I visit on occasion, most in the surrounding towns outside of Asheville. Mills River, Fletcher, etc.

Asheville’s loonies have spilled over into the surrounding area. Mills River for example is currently circling the bowl... walk through the Ingles there and you’ll see what I mean. Fletcher just as well be Asheville.

Places that I used to hunt have been swallowed up by strip malls and housing developments, which are inhabited by the resident Asheville loonies. Even my own beloved home place is now a bunch of townhomes and postage stamp lots. The spot where I killed my first deer with a bow is now a Culver’s.

I honestly an sincerely feel for the natives that have been there for generations. In another generation, Asheville and the surrounding area will be nothing but another Chapel Hill.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up in Fletcher. We saw the writing on the wall 25 years ago and got the hell outta Dodge!

Still have some family and friends up that way that I visit on occasion, most in the surrounding towns outside of Asheville. Mills River, Fletcher, etc.

Asheville’s loonies have spilled over into the surrounding area. Mills River for example is currently circling the bowl... walk through the Ingles there and you’ll see what I mean. Fletcher just as well be Asheville.

Places that I used to hunt have been swallowed up by strip malls and housing developments, which are inhabited by the resident Asheville loonies. Even my own beloved home place is now a bunch of townhomes and postage stamp lots. The spot where I killed my first deer with a bow is now a Culver’s.

I honestly an sincerely feel for the natives that have been there for generations. In another generation, Asheville and the surrounding area will be nothing but another Chapel Hill.
Hate to hear that... my wife and I lived in Edneyville 2 years and Just outside of Lake Lure in Bills Creek community for 1.5 years

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hate to hear that... my wife and I lived in Edneyville 2 years and Just outside of Lake Lure in Bills Creek community for 1.5 years
I don’t know how long it’s been since you lived there, but Edneyville is catching it from both sides, Asheville on one side and Lake Lure on the other. At least Lake Lure is mostly part time residents.

Bills Creek is growing up, Rumbling Bald is growing bigger all the time. The Tryon International Equestrian Center has caused an influx of left wing liberals beyond what were already there. My parents live in the Sunny View community currently and a week doesn’t go by that some yuppie doesn’t pull into their driveway demanding that they sell them some property. Because you know, my Dad has so much of it, it’s not fair or right for him to keep it to himself.

Turns my stomach

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Henderson and Rutherford Counties are still fine
No they’re not. Not on the whole anyway. Fletcher and Mills River are fast becoming extensions of Asheville. Edneyville is better than those but the warning signs are there.

Lake Lure is nothing but half backers who live there halftime and dictate the day to day government full time.
They’re beginning to spill over into Bills Creek, The Tri City area, and even the Bostic/Sunshine area

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Those counties are still voting for and electing Republicans.

They have not gone the way of Buncombe County yet.

Same for Polk Co.

All three voted overall for Trump over Biden for example.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t know how long it’s been since you lived there, but Edneyville is catching it from both sides, Asheville on one side and Lake Lure on the other. At least Lake Lure is mostly part time residents.

Bills Creek is growing up, Rumbling Bald is growing bigger all the time. The Tryon International Equestrian Center has caused an influx of left wing liberals beyond what were already there. My parents live in the Sunny View community currently and a week doesn’t go by that some yuppie doesn’t pull into their driveway demanding that they sell them some property. Because you know, my Dad has so much of it, it’s not fair or right for him to keep it to himself.

Turns my stomach
Been awhile... 2005-2008

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those counties are still voting for and electing Republicans.

They have not gone the way of Buncombe County yet.

Same for Polk Co.

All three voted overall for Trump over Biden for example.
Key word is YET. They’re leaning that way, as I said before, I saw where it was heading 25 years ago.

Every election cycle the margin grows ever tighter. Some precincts in all 3 of those counties have already crossed the threshold. It’s only a matter of time.

I give it 3 maybe 4 election cycles before they’re all 3 blue. NC is the next Va

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No they’re not. Not on the whole anyway. Fletcher and Mills River are fast becoming extensions of Asheville. Edneyville is better than those but the warning signs are there.

Lake Lure is nothing but half backers who live there halftime and dictate the day to day government full time.
They’re beginning to spill over into Bills Creek, The Tri City area, and even the Bostic/Sunshine area

Smiley's Flea Market is still going strong in Fletcher. (buy low, sell high). They added a sidewalks and street lamps to the main strip in Fletcher, I've still yet to see anyone strolling on them though. The Fletcher Mall could use a new store and a good pressure washing.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
And as more leave ... more and more will leave.
It's self-perpetuating.
They (idgit municipalities) get what they deserve.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Been married to the same woman for 30+ years, it may not survive another 12 months since I told her 3 months ago that I wouldn't be making another trip to the great Lake Lure. The last time we were there (late July) things got bad enough that I brought us home a day early because of the "neighbors" that arrived at the same place we were staying. The cabins are 30 to 40 yards apart but "Mr. Michigan" knocked on my door to TELL me I needed to move my truck so his guests would have plenty of places to park. You can imagine what I told him. The next knock was from the Owner telling me the same thing, same answer. No conversation followed because I went back inside to finish my meal. BOTH were from Michigan...

I burned his ass on Google reviews (he can't control those) and he has contacted me several times about taking the review down, says it's hurting his future bookings. Anyone care to guess what I told him??? Anyone?? Bueller, Bueller??

DaddyRat

Four Pointer
Asheville has nothing to blame but itself. They have elected a series of idiotic city councils and mayors. All the present are included. They in turn have elected a series of police chiefs to meet an agenda. Those police chiefs have been terrible and city council has been allowed to get into the day to day operations of the police department. The last good chief was Will Annarino. I finished my time as a police officer under him, good chief, great person. I to saw the writing on the wall and left for bigger better things. Did not know Hoglen but understand he was a good guy put in a terrible situation. The rest have been idiots and pawns. People are correct, Asheville is a liberal cesspool and will continue to be until someone better is elected but that will never happen. Unless there is total economic collapse from a lack of tourism, Asheville will continue electing the same trash they do now. Unfortunately it is spilling over into the county politics as well. Only 1 republican on the county commission and all the new ones live in Asheville. Oh well, I bought low, my daughter can sell high when I am gone.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The previous 3 chiefs of police didn't last long at the helm.

Anderson, Hooper and Bailey all bailed on Asheville even if they all were Democrats.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer

Anderson, Hooper and Bailey all bailed on Asheville even if they all were Democrats.

Even Democrats eventually see the light once it gets bright enough and hurts them personally.....

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Nailed it. I gotta go thru downtown to go to school and I was just telling someone on the phone I went thru Asheville 2x a day , Monday-Friday. Never saw a single cop that whole time. Loaded with street walkers tho. Sitting at a red light i saw a meth head with no shirt on(shirt was wrapped around his head covering everything but his eyes). He had a cell phone in his hand and was holding it like a pistol and literally maneuvering around buildings and alleys like he was clearing rooms in close quarters combat . Junkies nodding out everywhere. I’m not against helping someone in a bad situation bc I’ve been there myself. But with the round the clock free meals , sleeping bag/winter gear/rain gear handouts, etc...you’ve gotta wonder when it goes from help to enabling. They get their carry out containers of food from the mission, eat what they want, then throw the trash on the ground. Like someone else said, it’s spreading to the country too. Seen a whole lot more shady characters in Yancey county lately. But ya know...it’s ok to shoot meth and heroin bc it’s not really your fault.....but running bear hounds or killing deer is just plain evil. It puzzles me that city people found it unbearable to look at inanimate statues of confederate soldiers, but they seem ok with fellow American humans destroying themselves and others. The defund the police crowd is filled with a lot of people who will dial 911 the minute they’re in a jam that they cant whine, protest, or pay their way out of.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer

A lot of Greenville residents were happy when Asheville hired Anderson. He had issues in every city that he was chief (Deland, FL and Greenville, NC).