Remote Checking of Traps

KrisB

Ten Pointer
There is a new reg in the trapping regs that says you can now check your traps remotely instead of having to go check them physically. Once the remote tracking system notifies you there's been a trap closure, you have to go to the trap within 24 hours:

Can anyone tell me how you do this? What kind of equipment do you need and how do you connect it to your mobile device/cell phone?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
While you wait for a real answer from the experts, I would think, maybe, one of the cell cams positioned to view the trap. It will send pics of activity and when you see something is in the trap, go get it. Maybe too simple?

KrisB

Ten Pointer
While you wait for a real answer from the experts, I would think, maybe, one of the cell cams positioned to view the trap. It will send pics of activity and when you see something is in the trap, go get it. Maybe too simple?
Hey, Lee. What do you mean by a cell cam? I've only got one cell phone. Or is that something else?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is a new reg in the trapping regs that says you can now check your traps remotely instead of having to go check them physically. Once the remote tracking system notifies you there's been a trap closure, you have to go to the trap within 24 hours:

Can anyone tell me how you do this? What kind of equipment do you need and how do you connect it to your mobile device/cell phone?
Game cam

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are devices available that detect trap closure and transit that data. The rules are pretty specific about what the device has to be capable of doing and has to have the capability of verifying that is remains operational. Example...if the batteries went dead, it would not detect and transmit closure so one of the stipulations is that it has to periodically transmit or otherwise be able to show that it is operational. Some of the new cell trail cams may meet the specified criteria but I have not studied it at a detail level to be sure.

Bottom line, it is not inexpensive and not practical for fur trapping. Where is is feasible is for damage control trapping with devices set in structures so the agent does not have to make daily checks but is alerted when the trap closes. That can save a lot of driving or crawling in attics or crawl spaces to see an empty trap.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
my tactacam reveal x has the ability to send 2 test pictures per day, 12 hours apart. Mine sends me a test pic at 630am and 630pm every day. I wonder if this would satisfy the requirement QBD mentioned above? I do not use mine for traps though, I just want to know it's still working if it doesn't send me a deer pic that night/day.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
my tactacam reveal x has the ability to send 2 test pictures per day, 12 hours apart. Mine sends me a test pic at 630am and 630pm every day. I wonder if this would satisfy the requirement QBD mentioned above? I do not use mine for traps though, I just want to know it's still working if it doesn't send me a deer pic that night/day.
Do you have to pay some sort of monthly fee for these things to operate and send you pix?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I wonder if it's legal or feasible to run a drone down your trap line and look to see if you have anything. I really like the idea of using them to recover deer that run into standing corn or bean fields.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Years ago, I used a radio dog collar as an trap checker. I put the collar around a tree and tied the magnet to the trap chain with a piece of fishing line. I would use my directional antennae to check the trap. No beep, no quarry. Checked traps from miles away and didn't scent up my set