Remington extractor

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
So I broke the extractor in my old 788, and these things appear to be made of "unobtanium." Using my Google-fu skills, it seems that my best option is to convert the bolt to either the "Sako" or the "M16" type. Has anyone else done this? Which is the best path, and why? And lastly, does anyone know a good machinist\'smith who could do this for me? Preferably on the west side

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
What cartridge size extractor? The last one I replaced came from ebay. They pop up on there occasionally.

<>< Fish

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
I have used both saki and m16 style extractors, never had a problem with either. All of my current rifles have the m16 style but you won't go wrong with either of them.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
What cartridge size extractor? The last one I replaced came from ebay. They pop up on there occasionally.

<>< Fish
.308. Yeah, there's a few bolts on the net, but with what they're asking, I believe a conversion would be cheaper and better. Interestingly, my dad once told me, he gave 95 bucks for this gun way back when. I also seem to remember him replacing an extractor. That piece seems to be the achilles heel. Also being my late dad's, the value of it can't be measured with Benjamins, and I kinda want keep the original bolt. This dude is far from perfect, but every scar tells a story. Maybe one day, my grandson can show people his papaw's extractor.

Last edited:

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
When I used to build on Remington 700 receivers, the extractor was a definite change, the Remington extractors can’t be compared to the sako or m16 they are so bad.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Does anyone know what Numrich means by "standard caliber"? They list that extractor as in stock. Looks like the same thing I put in a 742 last year. I had never tried anything like that but it worked out.

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Does anyone know what Numrich means by "standard caliber"? They list that extractor as in stock. Looks like the same thing I put in a 742 last year. I had never tried anything like that but it worked out.
Standard should be your 308/3006 0.473 bolt face cartridges