Remington customer service

LadCo12

Eight Pointer
Well here goes.

I bought an 870 almost 3 years ago and never really shot it much until turkey season that year. It shot high and right with every load. No big deal I just used Kentucky windage. Killed a few turkeys and a deer with it. Fast forward to this turkey season. I missed a bird last week and I got tired of having to hold off to hit my target. So I put my buddies 870 barrel on it and it shot point of aim. Obviously it was a barrel problem. So I called Remington. After sitting on hold for 15 mins I told the CS rep my story. He put me on hold came back verified my address told me to trash old barrel and they'd ship me a new one! a+++ customer service! Buy in confidence! They never tried to give me any :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk over it. Just great CS!

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Glad to hear they di dyou right on that 870 barrel. This is one of the very few good customer srvice stories I've heard about Remington in the past 10 years or so.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Really about the only good thing......

They say they can't fix or build a trigger without the full gun for the recall on the 700..
Yet on the line they have a box full of triggers that they just drop in the guns.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Did he ask for the serial number or anything for the gun? Seems like they knew it was a problem somehow.

And lets be honest your not actually going to throw the barrel away are you? I know its worthless but surely you could do something with it.

LadCo12

Eight Pointer
He asked for the s#. I might cut it down or put some adjustable sights on it for slug hunting.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
This Remington customer service brings up a question for me.

Several years ago Remington came out with a recall of the Remington 788 in .243 caliber. The problem listed serial numbers XXXXXX thru XXXXXXXX as being affected. The problem was that the rifle had to be put off safety in order to eject/remove a live round from the chamber.

I have a Rem 788 in .243 that the serial number does not fall withing XXXXX thru XXXXXX. This rifle has to be put OFF SAFETY in order to eject/remove a live round from the chamber. I contacted Remington and advised them that the rifle I have does not fall within the serial numbers recalled but has the same safety issue. I was told that if the rifle did not fall within the recalled serial numbers if was not a safety factor and would not be repaired. I call BS on this because ANYTIME that rifle is off safety it can be accidentally fired. But Remington doesn't seem to be concerned about that.

I take extra special precautions when unloading a live round from the gun but that precaution is required when unloading any live round from a weapon. I have several other bolt action rifles and none of them require the safety to be completely OFF in order to unload the weapon. ALL the others have the three position safety which allows the bolt to be opened and the live round to be removed while in the second position. The trigger cannot be pulled while the safety is in the second position.

My question is why does Remington not believe my rifle is not unsafe?

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
I am not aware of any "official" recall from Remington on the Remington Model 788, but I could be very wrong. The versions of the 788 made prior to 1975, you had to take the safety "off" in order to retract the bolt to the rear to eject the live round in the chamber, as the safety locked the bolt. 788's made in 1975 to 1983, the safety did not lock the bolt, thus allowing the live round to be removed from the chamber with the safety "on". I seem to recall, that if you sent them your pre-1975 788, they would make a "repair" on it and/or give you a coupon for some $$ off the purchase of a new model 700 or model 7. If I am not mistaken, I think Timney makes a replacement trigger for the 788, (both the pre and post 1975 versions) that allows that allows the safety to be "on" while remove the round from the chamber.

Remington Model 788 bolt-action rifles are not included in the safety modification program. Model 788 rifles were manufactured from 1967 until 1983. Model 788 rifles made before 1975 were equipped with a bolt-lock mechanism.

IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE: If you have a Model 788 rifle with a bolt-lock mechanism, the manual safety must be placed in the “F” or “Off or Fire” position to lift the bolt and begin the process of unloading the rifle. Be sure the rifle is pointing in a safe direction anytime you move the manual safety to the “F” or “Off or Fire” position. After you have lifted the bolt, slide the bolt rearward and then immediately put the manual safety back in the “S” or “On safe” position and then continue the unloading process.

Regardless of whether your Model 788 rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism you must always follow the 10 Commandments of Firearm Safety. Special care must be taken during the loading and unloading process. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Always unload your rifle when not actually in use. Every firearm should be unloaded as soon as you are finished shooting – before taking it into your car, camp or house. Remington wants you to enjoy the shooting sports - safely!

Should you desire service on any of your Remington firearms please feel free to call us on our toll free service line 1-800-243-9700 or visit the Remington Authorized Repair Center nearest you.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
1Shot: I just got off the phone with a Remington representative. I again explained the safety issue and the rep stated that yes there was a recall. He said it appears that my rifle should have been recalled although it was not listed in the recall serial numbers. He issued a Tag number for me to use to take the complete rifle to a UPS shipping center to be mailed to them where they would inspect, clean and repair the rifle if found defective. A complete 180 from the last guy I talked to a couple of years ago.

Just for the record I purchased the rifle in 1970 or 1971 at the Rod and Gun Club at Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico.

During the discussion with the rep I asked specifically what would be done. He said a new trigger would be installed where the bolt block has been removed. I specifically asked him if that means I can open the bolt with the rifle safety still in the SAFE position. He said yes, that once the bolt block is removed I could open the bolt and extract a live round without putting the gun in the FIRE position.

After I hung up the phone I "fiddled" with the safety after making sure the chamber was empty and the clip removed. To my complete surprise if I touched the safety and moved it one thirty second of an inch forward I could almost every time open the bolt. A few times I could move the safety that small distance and the bolt would not open. I would slightly touch the safety again and the bolt would open. During my testing I could feel a slight "click" when I moved the safety that small distance. I tested the firearm MANY times while moving the safety that slight amount and at no time was I ever able to pull the trigger or cause the firing pin to drop.

No where in the firearms owners manual does it ever state that by moving the safety forward 1/32nd of an inch could the bolt be opened without putting the safety in the OFF position. In fact it does state that the safety must be in the FIRE position in order to open the bolt along with a WARNING to make sure that the rifle muzzle is pointed in a safe position/direction.

I'm going to call the representative again in the morning to further discuss this issue with him. I don't particularly want to return my firearm unless absolutely necessary. And I especially don't want to send my rifle back when all the time it appears to have been working safely and it was my being "dumb" in that I had not discovered this feature before. LOL. Ironically the technician did not advise me that the safety must be moved that small distance before the bolt could be opened. I would have thought he would have known about this requirement and asked me to check to see if moving the safety slightly would have allowed the bolt to be opened. I'll specifically ask him if moving the safety that small distance is correct. I just want to be sure that my rifle is as safe as possible and if that slight movement isn't proper then I'll want the gun repaired properly.

So I will give Remington a better "rating" because the guy I talked to today was very helpful and took quick action to assist me in what both of us perceived to be a problem.

3rcalloway

Six Pointer
i had a terrible experience with their customer service a couple months ago. Bought a browning maxus a couple weeks ago.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1Shot: I just got off the phone with a Remington representative. I again explained the safety issue and the rep stated that yes there was a recall. He said it appears that my rifle should have been recalled although it was not listed in the recall serial numbers. He issued a Tag number for me to use to take the complete rifle to a UPS shipping center to be mailed to them where they would inspect, clean and repair the rifle if found defective. A complete 180 from the last guy I talked to a couple of years ago.

Just for the record I purchased the rifle in 1970 or 1971 at the Rod and Gun Club at Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico.

During the discussion with the rep I asked specifically what would be done. He said a new trigger would be installed where the bolt block has been removed. I specifically asked him if that means I can open the bolt with the rifle safety still in the SAFE position. He said yes, that once the bolt block is removed I could open the bolt and extract a live round without putting the gun in the FIRE position.

After I hung up the phone I "fiddled" with the safety after making sure the chamber was empty and the clip removed. To my complete surprise if I touched the safety and moved it one thirty second of an inch forward I could almost every time open the bolt. A few times I could move the safety that small distance and the bolt would not open. I would slightly touch the safety again and the bolt would open. During my testing I could feel a slight "click" when I moved the safety that small distance. I tested the firearm MANY times while moving the safety that slight amount and at no time was I ever able to pull the trigger or cause the firing pin to drop.

No where in the firearms owners manual does it ever state that by moving the safety forward 1/32nd of an inch could the bolt be opened without putting the safety in the OFF position. In fact it does state that the safety must be in the FIRE position in order to open the bolt along with a WARNING to make sure that the rifle muzzle is pointed in a safe position/direction.

I'm going to call the representative again in the morning to further discuss this issue with him. I don't particularly want to return my firearm unless absolutely necessary. And I especially don't want to send my rifle back when all the time it appears to have been working safely and it was my being "dumb" in that I had not discovered this feature before. LOL. Ironically the technician did not advise me that the safety must be moved that small distance before the bolt could be opened. I would have thought he would have known about this requirement and asked me to check to see if moving the safety slightly would have allowed the bolt to be opened. I'll specifically ask him if moving the safety that small distance is correct. I just want to be sure that my rifle is as safe as possible and if that slight movement isn't proper then I'll want the gun repaired properly.

So I will give Remington a better "rating" because the guy I talked to today was very helpful and took quick action to assist me in what both of us perceived to be a problem.
Larry I'll give you a little heads up. Knowing how you like to shoot you WILL NOT be happy with the trigger they put in your rifle. It will have a ton of creep in it and feel like pull a plow through gravel. You will either need to replace it or have them replace it then take the one they replaced directly to a gunsmith and have him work on it.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Larry, like I said I am not aware of any recall on the 788, but I could be wrong. According to Remington's website there is no recall (maybe currently no recall, but who knows about 30-40 years ago) on the 788. If the recall occurred prior to about 1989, it was before I got started in gunsmithing. However, if they are going to fix your rifle at their expense, that is all you can ask of any company.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-modification-program.aspx

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
1Shot: I said I bought the rifle 30 - 40 years ago not called Remington that long ago. LOL. Like I said the Remington Rep stated that there was a recall on the 788 bolt action model. I can't recall exactly when I saw the recall but it was published in a notice posted in either Deer & Deer Hunting, Outdoor Life, or Field & Stream and it had to be after 1990 because that is when I returned to the US from Spain. Best I can recall it was some time about 2005 or later. Date really not important since they have stated to me that there was a recall on that rifle. Now the repairs aren't going to be free. Something like $20 to ship the rifle to them another $20 to ship back to me and up to $75 for trigger replacement. After they look at the rifle they will contact me with the exact cost. Now that I have had time to think about it I'm not sure that I should pay for the shipment or repairs because it's not definite that the rifle is not defective. I don't think they would want me to contact NRA or the news media if this becomes an issue if the rifle is defective.

NCCatfisher: Thanks for the heads up because this has caused me to re-think the issue more thoroughly. That was the first question the representative asked me "has the trigger ever been worked on"? I told him no it is a factory rifle, nothing ever been done except a scope mounted, cleaned and shot. Never even lapped the barrel on that rifle, never had to, they made great guns back in those days. This is the only "out of the box" rifle with a trigger I have ever owned that was decent other than the Savage Accutrigger or replacement triggers I have bought for other rifles.

This rifle reminds me of a "war story" but so as to not hijack this thread I'll post that story in an separate thread "Remington 788 Rifle".

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Larry,
If you are going to be into the trigger repair from Remington for $115, I would recommend that you get a Timney trigger for around $135 and replace it yourself and be done with it. You will have a decent trigger that will be much more to your liking (1.5# to 3.5#), easily adjustable (creep, weight, and travel) and the bolt will not be locked, so you can remove a chambered round with the safety on. I would recommend anyone that has an issue with a Remington 788 trigger and/or safety to replace it with a Timney trigger. IMO, it is much better than anything that Remington will install on it.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...remington-788-trigger-w-safety-prod25059.aspx
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/88...remington-788-with-safety-15-lb-to-35-lb-blue
http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/timney-remington-788-replacement-trigger.aspx

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Larry, the biggest issue I foresee with the safety is, although YOU know the problem with the safety, and how to make it work correctly, what about someone else? What happens to the rifle once YOU are done with it. (Sorry to say, but I expect it to outlive you) To my way of thinking, in that the instructions nor the technician said anything about having to move the safety forward to work the bolt, then is ISN'T suppose to work that way. Like you, for all these years, someone else will discover is works with the safety in the OFF position, and use it that way until an accident occurs, or they one day discover the forward safety trick as you recently did.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Soilman great advice and in all honesty I had already run the thought thru my head of someone else using the rifle and NOT knowing that "trick" to safely unload the rifle. I'm thinking of hanging a tag on the rifle when stored in my gun safe advising any other user of the safe procedure to unload a live round. Only three people know the combination to my gun safe. I'm also thinking about replacing the trigger with the Timney trigger 1Shot suggested. BTW I have annotated, in red ink, of the owners manual the proper procedure to safely unload a live round from the rifle.

I replaced the trigger on my .204 with a Kleppinger trigger and I really love that trigger. It's a set trigger, for normal hunting I have it set for 3 lbs but when the trigger is actually set it fires at 3 ounces. Yes that is right, 3 ounces which to me is extremely effective for long range shooting. I will have to determine if the Kleppinger trigger will fit the Remington 788 without a major overhaul. From the info 1Shot posted it appears that it should pretty much be a "remove and replace" item. Since I only use the rifle occasionally for deer hunting as does my sons, the 1.5 - 3.5 LBS trigger pull would be completely acceptable. I don't want less pull than that on any normal hunting rifle, only want less pull on a long range varmint rifle.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The bolt thing is an easy fix, all you do is trim the lever that sticks up to lock the bolt then you can leave the safety on.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Mr. Gadget. You are probably correct in that the fix is easy and I'm not being critical in any way of your suggestion. BUT IF SOMETHING BAD ever happened with the gun and the "experts" get a hand on the gun and find that any owner modifications have been made all hell could break loose. I love to hunt and shoot to much. I don't want to have any additional worries about what could go wrong

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Larry,
If you are going to be into the trigger repair from Remington for $115, I would recommend that you get a Timney trigger for around $135 and replace it yourself and be done with it. You will have a decent trigger that will be much more to your liking (1.5# to 3.5#), easily adjustable (creep, weight, and travel) and the bolt will not be locked, so you can remove a chambered round with the safety on. I would recommend anyone that has an issue with a Remington 788 trigger and/or safety to replace it with a Timney trigger. IMO, it is much better than anything that Remington will install on it.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...remington-788-trigger-w-safety-prod25059.aspx
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/88...remington-788-with-safety-15-lb-to-35-lb-blue
http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/timney-remington-788-replacement-trigger.aspx

I'll have to say x2 on the Timney triggers..they are a great product.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Mr. Gadget. You are probably correct in that the fix is easy and I'm not being critical in any way of your suggestion. BUT IF SOMETHING BAD ever happened with the gun and the "experts" get a hand on the gun and find that any owner modifications have been made all hell could break loose. I love to hunt and shoot to much. I don't want to have any additional worries about what could go wrong

Then just change the trigger out.

The reason I say that is I have several of the older Remingtons, and one went back to them for the service on the bolt lock, they ground down the lever and it does not catch anymore.

The risk is there, from the point you buy the gun or sell it that someone or something could happen and anyone could try to take you to court..... Win or loose.

Same could be said about adding an aftermarket trigger, reload ammo, anything....

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Mr. Gadget correct again, there is always that risk but I believe I would have a better chance of fighting the issue in court IF I had never personally done any modifications on the rifle. I'm still debating on replacing the trigger unit completely. I have already taken action to insure that anyone using the rifle is aware of the correct safety procedures to unload the rifle. I feel secure in my actions because, although there are only three people who know the combination to my gun safe, I am the ONLY ONE that actually opens the safe.

LadCo12

Eight Pointer
Quick update

Got the bbl in Thursday. Put it on and shot it. I'm very happy shooting POA. Put 31 pellets in a 3" circle at 35 yds with mag blend.