Remington 870 Question

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought an older 870 Wingmaster pump off my neighbor. It’s a 28 gauge with a plain barrel with no screw in chokes. The barrel is improved cylinder. I talked with Hawglips on here about tss for turkeys. That may work but I have not tried it. I did try some 5 shot today on paper and it was terrible. At 30 I don’t think it would have killed anything. At 20 it wasn’t much better. Question is can you have a gun smith thread the barrel. Does that mess up the value of the gun. If I can’t do anything to it is there a shell you would try for just regular bird hunting. If it was yours what would you hunt with it or what shells would you try. Thanks

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes it can be threaded for chokes. Yes it will decrease the value to a lot of potential buyers. If you like the gun and want to keep it around I say choke it. I suspect you will thoroughly enjoy it.
My question would be are you gonna look at it or use it? This coming from someone that has Belgian A-5s and mdl 12s threaded 😂
I plan to use it. I wanted to try to get it straight for my grandson to shot also. I don’t plan to sell it because I don’t sell guns. I think I’ve sold one muzzleloader in my lifetime. I just buy what I want but no need to sell any off and hope I never have to.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you want to use it for turkeys, thread it. That said, IC is the most versatile choke for all kinds of bird hunting, IMO. And that would be a fine gun to keep just for doves/quail/grouse/woodcock.

I'd rather have a slick classic like that to bird hunt with, and a newer camo gun, short barrel, with a reflex sight for turkey hunting.