Remington 7400 ammo

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most of the 7400's that I have dealt with shoot the 150 grain Core-Loc's really well as long as they are cleaned well with no copper or lead build-up in the barrel. That seems to be the most common factor in loss of accuracy and function in that particular rifle.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Buy you a box of CoreLokts, Winchester Power Points and the cheaper Federals, in the blue box...I would go with either 150s or 165s, whichever your gun shop has in stock...I'll just about guarantee of those 3 you will have at least one winner, if not, pick up a box of Hornadys in the InterLocks...That's all you need in any deer caliber... Those brands will kill any deer you will happen to encounter...

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Buy you a box of CoreLokts, Winchester Power Points and the cheaper Federals, in the blue box...I would go with either 150s or 165s, whichever your gun shop has in stock...I'll just about guarantee of those 3 you will have at least one winner, if not, pick up a box of Hornadys in the InterLocks...That's all you need in any deer caliber... Those brands will kill any deer you will happen to encounter...

^^this, since its all about chamber pressure for consistent cycling....so it is not a jam-o-matic...…...as we called them in Gunsmith School since they CAN be finicky. One of the flavors listed should also get decent accuracy.
I'm a Hornady shooter often. over the BLue Federals, since Hornady is MOST accurate out of nearly every gun I've tried them....222 Rem, 308 Win, 338 Win, 7x57, 6.5x55, 270 Win

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you reload I'll let you in an accurate load I came up with years ago after much experimenting for a finicky 7400 I had. Remington brass, CCI large rifle primers, a max load (I'll check my old mauals for the amount) of RL19 and a Sierra 150 gr HPBT Match King. Yes I know the MK is not supposed to be a deer bullet. Three of us shooting lots of deer with them in five different guns for many years tells different. Shots from 50-200 yards and if they ran (rare) it was less than 50 yards. Always had a exit hole. One 7400, two BAR's, one A-Bolt, One Tikka - All 1/2" to 3/4" at 100 yards. The A-Bolt and Tikka shot what looked like buckshot patterns with every factory load we tried.

blackbear

Spike
I had several folks tell me the 180gr.bullets were to hard on the action and the 150 was just right.That seemed like a old wifes tale to me.
Would 30gr. of lead be that hard on a 7400 action built and chambered in 3006?Really?
I have always liked the 180gr.core lok ammo and thought it was made for the remington autos.especially the round nose bullets ,but its been so long since i shot 3006 i dont know whats out there anymore.
I will try some 150,165 and see how tight they group forsure.
Do you guys clean under the forearm everytime you shoot a box of shells in the 7400 rifles?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I believe .30-06 may have been the biggest in a 7400. I’m not an expert. Was reading up on a comparison between 7400 and Browning’s. One of the items they mentioned was Remington didn’t have magnum offerings.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
I have had terrible luck with the Remington Ammo. After failure to eject and then having a bullet fall on the ground about 15 feet in front of me, I switched to Winchester and never looked back. Maybe it's gotten better, but I don't have a compelling reason to return to it.

ka30270

Six Pointer
I have had the best luck with Winchester 165 BST followed closely by Federal Premium 165 Gameking. Have shot my 7400 30-06 out to 500 yards with these while maintaining m.o.a. accuracy.

Be sure to check the tightness of the screw on the end of the forearm. This screw keeps it "together" much like the action screws on a bolt rifle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I have had the best luck with Winchester 165 BST followed closely by Federal Premium 165 Gameking. Have shot my 7400 30-06 out to 500 yards with these while maintaining m.o.a. accuracy.

Be sure to check the tightness of the screw on the end of the forearm. This screw keeps it "together" much like the action screws on a bolt rifle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's amazing. o_O Not many factory rifles or shooters can do that.

<>< Fish

blackbear

Spike
Should i test with a 3 shot group or 5 and then stop and let the barrel get cold again before shooting again?
Also would a smidge of blue thread lok tight work to keep the front forearm screw from working loose from recoil?
I know not to use red lok tight that stuff is like welding..
Also anything leupold would be good for scope, base,rings right?
Usually when i reload 3006 i use imr4831 ,what else is a good go to powder?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
3 shot group are fine, 5 shot groups are for the gun writers. The first shot from a cold gun is the one that counts. So check zero with the gun cooled off after it's sighted in.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
4831 is an excellent powder but 4064 will get it done with a lil less powder normally, I use both
BUT
Go the SC route--Short Cut--it meters more consistently. ..since the kernels are shorter.
H380 meters like a dream too!..but have found it best in medium size cases not over 308 Win

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Man. All this reading makes me think on many things with these rifles. How fun would a dog club in the 80s be with a semi auto 30-06 pumping lead across a field.

Hunted with some guys not long ago in uwharrie area and one of the gents pulled out his pops 7400 rem 30-06. What a sweet weapon. Old wide glass still sat on top with see through rings.

Guns made for lead pushing. I wish I had the places to do so. I am lucky to shoot my or a rifle a few times a year these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk