Remington 17 hmr ammo problems.

shadebaby

Six Pointer
I recently had some trouble with this ammo. At first I noticed the casing sticking in the chamber after firing it then I noticed I could push some of the bullets into the casing then I saw the cracks......after going through the rest of the box I found 9 with cracked casings.20210618_164041.jpg20210618_165411.jpg20210618_165215.jpg

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Heard the same on Remington 308, but haven't seen any personally....hope we they nip that in the bud....I understand they are running 24/7 now

shadebaby

Six Pointer
Heard the same on Remington 308, but haven't seen any personally....hope we they nip that in the bud....I understand they are running 24/7 now
I called them they said they would forward it to their "team" and call me back. I'm not looking for free ammo just want them to fix the problem.

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
I have had both Remington and Hornady split on the cases. There was an article about it several years ago but can’t remember where I read it. I went and check all my ammo and found some in 5 out of 12 boxes. None with the same lot number.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s pretty thin brass around the neck area. Also, the .17 cal in general is a tight squeeze. It takes very little fouling in the barrel to add resistance to the bullet and increase pressure spikes. Lots of times, the brass in the neck is the weak link. I think it’s mostly due to loose chambers and thin brass because a lot of this has been seen in hmrs.

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
It’s pretty thin brass around the neck area. Also, the .17 cal in general is a tight squeeze. It takes very little fouling in the barrel to add resistance to the bullet and increase pressure spikes. Lots of times, the brass in the neck is the weak link. I think it’s mostly due to loose chambers and thin brass because a lot of this has been seen in hmrs.
I think the necks on his are split out of the box not after firing. I have a valquartsen that splits 50-60% of the rounds you fire through it.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think the necks on his are split out of the box not after firing. I have a valquartsen that splits 50-60% of the rounds you fire through it.

true story Mr Broadway speaketh.

in that case it has to be an annealing issue and the thinny thin necks give little room for error.