Remington 11-87 issues

golfer

Four Pointer
When shooting a turkey load out of my 11-87 pump, the gun usually ejects the fired shells out by itself. I know it is the gun ejecting the shell because I had to shoot at a gobbler this weekend one handed because of the turkey fan approach.

The problem is that it does not have enough energy to pull the next shell out of the tube. I shut the action and there is no shell in the chamber.

It has cost me one gobbler and almost another one. Any suggestions on how to tighten the gun up so that turkey loads do not pump themselves?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
If you're referencing a Remington 1187, it's a semi auto and should eject the empty shell and load a fresh shell upon return of the bolt into battery.

SCnative

Spike
If you're referencing a Remington 1187, it's a semi auto and should eject the empty shell and load a fresh shell upon return of the bolt into battery.[/QUOTE

Ditto....

My 11-87 was a one shot gun too, sometimes. Turned out to be the carrier. The gunsmith replaced it and it works fine. I hunted with it once or twice then oiled it and didn't touch it for a year or so. I pull it out of the safe this year to take turkey hunting and it won't even accept a 3-1/2" shell! The shell stops when the brass hits the tube. I don't get it. Maybe it's the new carrier. Shells may not be lining up. Back to the 'smith I go.

Moral of the story is ...check your carrier assembly. Sounds like a mechanical issue and not really a gas related power issue. If the spent shell is ejected, that proves the action made it all the way back. The new shell should have been pulled out of the tube in the same motion.

my .02

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
If it’s a 11-87 change the “O” ring on outside of magazine tube. Also make sure your shell casings aren’t rough around the rim. Loading and unloading will scar them up. I’ve been shooting 11-87’s for thirty years or more and these two things will fix your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCnative

Spike
Dang I love the internet. This thread got me looking at the 11-87 again. My Interceptor Latch Spring somehow came off the latch and was lodged behind it forcing it up toward the mag tub. It was causing long shells to bind and gouging the heck out of them as they were cycled. Don't know how common this is, but wanted to share. Now she's cycling 3.5" shells with no problem. Just wanted to share.

golfer

Four Pointer
Thank you all for your feedback. I will check the O ring for sure.

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dude, you are the one that called an 11-87 a pump so while Gadget has the ability to be a smarty pants when he wants to be I would say you left the door for it wide open. By the way, does your gun look like photo 1 or photo 2 below?

1525201990937.png

1525202013861.png

golfer

Four Pointer
Sorry, I completely screwed the model number. I finally was able to get back into the woods this morning and looked at the model. It is a 870 Express Magnum.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry, I completely screwed the model number. I finally was able to get back into the woods this morning and looked at the model. It is a 870 Express Magnum.
Make sure you are not short stroking it. Come all the way back tell it stops hard and fast.

If you pull back slow then it will fall of the extractor and just lay in the chamber or stove pipe for say.
Make sure you can move your extractor in and out and not bend or bound up. You should be able to move it and see the spring is clean and clear.
Make sure the tip is not broke off the claw on it. Google 870 extractor so you know how it should look.
Also make sure the ejector is still in the gun. They break or fall of from time to time.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Are the shells leaving the magizine at all? If they are not stove piping in the action you might have a spring/follower problem. Also make sure there is no gunk or rust in the tube/spring and check your shells to make sure the case heads look good. Try shooting a different brand of shells.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Are the shells leaving the magizine at all? If they are not stove piping in the action you might have a spring/follower problem. Also make sure there is no gunk or rust in the tube/spring and check your shells to make sure the case heads look good. Try shooting a different brand of shells.

Yep went back to read it again.
Sounds like the mag spring or follower maybe the catch not working if he is talking about the tube being the mag tube.
But that also happens if you do not cycle the action back far enough on a mag gun.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Yep went back to read it again.
Sounds like the mag spring or follower maybe the catch not working if he is talking about the tube being the mag tube.
But that also happens if you do not cycle the action back far enough on a mag gun.
I wounder if it is a newer gun. It wouldn't suprise me if there was a burr/chunk of whatever finish they use causing the problems.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I wounder if it is a newer gun. It wouldn't suprise me if there was a burr/chunk of whatever finish they use causing the problems.
The finish they have now rusts in two hrs or less.
Have several. Can't hunt with them and not have rust all over your hands. Also has a gritty feel to them. Most need how soap water and oil bath to stop.
Like you are saying they can have the grit in the tube and not work new.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
The finish they have now rusts in two hrs or less.
Have several. Can't hunt with them and not have rust all over your hands. Also has a gritty feel to them. Most need how soap water and oil bath to stop.
Like you are saying they can have the grit in the tube and not work new.
I can't recall ever having shot a Remington made in the past thirty years. That said I think the Wingmaster is the finest pump gun made and have a modest collection of them.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I can't recall ever having shot a Remington made in the past thirty years. That said I think the Wingmaster is the finest pump gun made and have a modest collection of them.
Yep the old wingmasters were great guns. Lot has changed over the years on fit and finish.