Rem 1187 Choke?

Snagged

Button Buck
I've got a Remington 1187 in 20ga. This will be my first year hunting turkey (if I get my stuff together anyway). I know I need to pattern the gun to whatever shot and choke I end up with, but is anyone out there already using this gun and have recommendations on a turkey choke for this gun? Seems like tons of choices out there at varying price points, so it's hard to know what's what.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve tried several more expensive chokes in mine but the best patterns I’ve gotten is with the Rem Turkey Choke!!

Shooting Fed HW 7s and TSS 7s.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Get a plain ol Carlsons .575 non-ported.
Not expensive and isnt fussy about the shell usually. Ive gotten great patterns with plain lead, federal hw and tss loads in various Remington 20's.

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
Get a plain ol Carlsons .575 non-ported.
Not expensive and isnt fussy about the shell usually. Ive gotten great patterns with plain lead, federal hw and tss loads in various Remington 20's.

^This^

The non ported Carlson’s .575 throws a very honest 40yd hunting pattern in my gun with #9 TSS handloads. Pic is from my 870 but performance is the same out of my 1187 as well.B0751689-BF34-44B5-B16B-3256325851E1.jpeg

hoyt85

Six Pointer
indian creek .555 hand loaded tss 9's. I've got two youth 20 gauge 870's, 21" barrel that put up 330=350 all day long. Most remington barrels and Indian creek tubes seem to pair well together, especially with TSS.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Save yourself some money. 20$ HS undertaker .575 and some #6 long beards.

Nothing’s walking through that out to 40yds

I’d have to dig around but I’ve posted some pattern pictures.

80-100 hits in 10” 40yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
indian creek .555 hand loaded tss 9's. I've got two youth 20 gauge 870's, 21" barrel that put up 330=350 all day long. Most remington barrels and Indian creek tubes seem to pair well together, especially with TSS.
For most people that is true but I have an older 870 that put Indian creek on and shot tss and was first time I've seen a non huntable pattern with tss. Gave choke to bro who has newer 870 and shot just fine. I was surprised

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Save yourself some money. 20$ HS undertaker .575 and some #6 long beards.

Nothing’s walking through that out to 40yds

I’d have to dig around but I’ve posted some pattern pictures.

80-100 hits in 10” 40yds

Not necessarily I have undertakers tried on moss and 870 and didn't meet my expectations in either. Never know till pattern

hoyt85

Six Pointer
For most people that is true but I have an older 870 that put Indian creek on and shot tss and was first time I've seen a non huntable pattern with tss. Gave choke to bro who has newer 870 and shot just fine. I was surprised

That's why I said most, not all. Just out of curiosity, the barrel that didn't pattern well with tss. Was it factory ammo or were they hand loads?

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Not necessarily I have undertakers tried on moss and 870 and didn't meet my expectations in either. Never know till pattern

Your correct. Another mistake I have made in the past is trying to constrict choke for pattern density and realized I needed to open it up and buy less constriction to have a strong even patterns. A pattern that has holes in it or chunks is not an effective pattern.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What shot are you planning to use? With all the shot available today, that is the first thing you need to get a starting point for a choke. Tighter is not always better especially if you are looking to shoot TSS.

Just make sure that the choke is made to handle the shot you choose. For example, a lot of chokes are made for soft shot only. DO NOT use the Heavi Shot or TSS in Lead Only chokes.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
That's why I said most, not all. Just out of curiosity, the barrel that didn't pattern well with tss. Was it factory ammo or were they hand loads?
Apex and Fderal and nitro for good measure thought for sure one them woyld work usually them Indian creeks will pattern on most any gun I have seen twice now this happen of course I've heard 200 success stories to the 2 that didn't work.

hoyt85

Six Pointer
I was just curious, I figured Federal was was one of the shells, Federal doesn't pattern anywhere close to what my hand loads will.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I was just curious, I figured Federal was was one of the shells, Federal doesn't pattern anywhere close to what my hand loads will.
The Nitro loads were best of 3 federal was worse. Now with my rhino choke there is little difference in the 3 all are extremely deadly the federal 9 really liked that .660 constriction. Orderd some more nitro 3 inch duplex loads they were more than I'd ever need distance wise I mostly hunt woods till hit western states

buckman84

Eight Pointer
I run a Indian creek on a super magnum and get a decent pattern. Also have a jellyhead on a 870 20 gauge that throws a good pattern.