Relocating to NC

PHR1121

Button Buck
Hello All,

I am relocating back to the Raleigh area after being gone for 14 years. I was wondering if there are any weird requirements as far as what licenses i need to have. I typically hunt waterfowl, small and big game, and migratory birds. I do most of my hunting on public land. I currently live in Georgia and up until this year I was required to not only have my small/big game license but also a game land license to hunt on public land. Is there something similar in NC? Any specific regulation for the migratory bird or duck license and federal stamp?

How is hunting on public land in NC? Is it decent or will i be better off joining a hunting club?

Thanks for any input.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
What you probably want is a resident sportsmans license unless you do not fish

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Welcome back. Agreed best bet is read the Regs booklet cover to cover. No special license needed for waterfowl, Sportsman license is good deal. Public land hunting is decent here, a bit crowded near Raleigh but I killed dozens of deer there before I moved to Eastern NC. More public land here than I will ever have time to fully explore. Some of it allows camping so inexpensive long weekend hunts are possible. Good luck.

KrisB

Ten Pointer

It's all in the regulations digest, which you can view at that link or get a print copy from many places (WalMart, country convenience stores, etc).

The only thing it won't tell you is what hunting on public land vs a hunt club is like. I only hunt public land and will probably never join a hunt club, so maybe others here can advise you on the hunt club scene. I mostly hunt on Hyco Game Land and R. Wayne Bailey-Caswell Game Land up here in the northern counties along the VA border. There is definitely a lot of pressure, especially during deer season, but if you are willing to put some miles under your boots, you can find some quiet spots. At least that has been my experience.

Clark

Ten Pointer
I was required to not only have my small/big game license but also a game land license to hunt on public land.
Visit https://www.ncwildlife.org/
A NC game lands license is no longer required if you have a valid hunting license.

I typically hunt waterfowl. How is hunting on public land in NC? Is it decent or will i be better off joining a hunting club?
Might want to stay wherever you are. Don't forget no Sunday hunting.

Last edited:

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Pick up a reg digest or view online, NC has an excellent online mapping database of public lands, as well as being one of the most populated states in the south so it may and will be crowded on public lands, welcome back and vote Republican!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
welcome back and vote Republican!

Good point. NC is not currently accepting out of state relocations from individuals who voted Democrat within the past 10 years.

Might want to stay wherever you are. Don't forget no Sunday hunting.

Only on public land, and that is going to change in the next year or two, IMO, based on the current comment period from the WRC.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Welcome back. Agreed best bet is read the Regs booklet cover to cover. No special license needed for waterfowl, Sportsman license is good deal. Public land hunting is decent here, a bit crowded near Raleigh but I killed dozens of deer there before I moved to Eastern NC. More public land here than I will ever have time to fully explore. Some of it allows camping so inexpensive long weekend hunts are possible. Good luck.

Wrong you need a HIP permit to hunt migratory birds. The permit doesn’t cost anything unless you don’t have it and I’ve seen quite a few people get tickets for it.

tim_dawg22

Button Buck
I get the sportsman every year about $40 hunt and fish. If you get it from Walmart they always give me a copy of the updated NC regulations.

Was planning to duck hunt this year so I bought a duck stamp for $25. Life ruined that plan but at least I got a cool stamp [emoji41].

Never ventured out to the game lands even though I contemplated it a few times. I live near Ft. Bragg and hunt on post so I really never felt the need to drive further away to hunt the game lands. Additional permit required for on post hunting and fishing.

Sunday hunting is allowed on Ft. Bragg but not for migratory birds. Monday’s and Tuesday’s are no hunt days on Bragg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

It's all in the regulations digest, which you can view at that link or get a print copy from many places (WalMart, country convenience stores, etc).

The only thing it won't tell you is what hunting on public land vs a hunt club is like. I only hunt public land and will probably never join a hunt club, so maybe others here can advise you on the hunt club scene. I mostly hunt on Hyco Game Land and R. Wayne Bailey-Caswell Game Land up here in the northern counties along the VA border. There is definitely a lot of pressure, especially during deer season, but if you are willing to put some miles under your boots, you can find some quiet spots. At least that has been my experience.
Look at you giving advice and passing on knowledge. It seems the student has become the teacher 😎

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Look at you giving advice and passing on knowledge. It seems the student has become the teacher 😎

LOL Grasshoppers grow up fast!

I did have a deja vu moment writing that last bit about walking in a few miles to get away from pressure. Pretty sure I read someone else's reply post answering the same kind of question in the same way from like a year ago.