Reloading buckshot or slugs?

klim

Twelve Pointer
Any of you guys or gals reload your own buckshot or slugs? Thinking about start doing it myself.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I never have. Ive reloaded target loads. Not a bunch, but a few thousand over the last couple years. Find a good load and the right components. Guys on youtube have some decent techniques.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Stared loading my own buckshot this summer. Not hard at all. Extremely happy with the results. Great patterns with several different guns but some really amazing ones with my Benelli M2 and my daughters. Can't wait to try them out this year. It is definitely worth the time and money.

klim

Twelve Pointer
Stared loading my own buckshot this summer. Not hard at all. Extremely happy with the results. Great patterns with several different guns but some really amazing ones with my Benelli M2 and my daughters. Can't wait to try them out this year. It is definitely worth the time and money.

I’ve been watching YouTube videos and it peaked my interest. ( BubbaRountree Outdoors has some great slug and Buckshot reloaded videos) I’m got some stuff ordered and I’m going to try to work up a 3 inch 16 pellet “0” Load.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I loaded copper BB and buck all the time in the old days for waterfowl.
Now any I do are just skeet or trap loads along with some small game like 6 or 7.5.
I have loaded some of the Lee 1 oz slugs. They are fun to cast and easy to reload.
Thinking about another batch of those in shorts or round ball for the shockwave.
Also thought about playing with round ball in 20 ga maybe shorts for the 20 ga shockwave I got.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I've got two molds for cap and ball revolvers so I cast .311 and .375 round balls for my 12 ga. Weigh you balls/buckshot and find a 1 oz load data and have fun. Watch how they stack. I cut the pedals off of my WWA12 wad to fit 6 of the .375 round balls inside the hull, leave the pedals on with the 9ea .311 balls Just taught my 10 yo grandson how to load 5.56 and 12 ga this week.

6ea .375 round balls
12_ga_0000_tgt.JPG

12_ga_0000_stacked.JPG

9 or 10ea .311 round balls
12_ga_9_and_10_pellet_0_buck.JPG

12_ga_buckshot_packing.JPG

CD

Last edited:

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
If you want a 16 pellet load make sure you are using the .31 caliber shot. It is truly a # 1 1/2. We love them. We have found in our guns that the .31 and .32 caliber shot pattern really close to the same. We like 800X and Longshot powder. We are roll crimping our loads. We both shoot the Kick's Buck Kicker full choke. But I have shot Kicks high flyer full (daughters gun) and extra full (my gun) and they shoot great as well. I have not shot them against each other but I feel completely confident it the way they pattern at 60 yards with any of the 4 chokes. Shooting out of a Benelli M2. If you are thinking of purchasing chokes call the folks at Kicks and talk with them. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. I think you will be surprised at the results. Good luck.

klim

Twelve Pointer
If you want a 16 pellet load make sure you are using the .31 caliber shot. It is truly a # 1 1/2. We love them. We have found in our guns that the .31 and .32 caliber shot pattern really close to the same. We like 800X and Longshot powder. We are roll crimping our loads. We both shoot the Kick's Buck Kicker full choke. But I have shot Kicks high flyer full (daughters gun) and extra full (my gun) and they shoot great as well. I have not shot them against each other but I feel completely confident it the way they pattern at 60 yards with any of the 4 chokes. Shooting out of a Benelli M2. If you are thinking of purchasing chokes call the folks at Kicks and talk with them. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. I think you will be surprised at the results. Good luck.

I own 4 Kick’s buckickers. 3 for my 12 gauges and 1 for a 20 gauge. I’ve been looking at ordering some of Ballistic Products 31 Cal. Nickel plated “0” buck. My Cheditte prime hauls, MG-42 Wads, buffet came in today. My over shot cards should be here sometime next week. I’ve already got a electric powder scale. I’m going to
roll crimp mine also because I don’t have a star crimper. I’m anxious to get started but my funds aren’t letting me buy all the components all at one time. Lol! Thanks for the info and advice. If you don’t mind can I send you some PMs if I have any questions about any of it?

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I used to load some buckshot for my Ithaca Mag10.
All this data is mine and worked well for me [very competent lifetime reloader] and I make no warranty on your loads using my data.
Worked up some pretty good shooting loads with big buckshot [mostly MZ roundballs].
To the best of my memory, I cast alot of pure lead balls and some out of wheelweight metal,
stacking and buffering were important to good patterns.
I had a good 50yd load that used a .570 wheelweight ball under a now unknown number of smaller lead RBs, buffered with grits.
Most shot 100% under 18" at 40yds and 80%+ in 30" at 60yds with the big RB usually near POA.
Worked well on deer in some SC thick-as-hades cutovers. Recoil was not too bad out of a 12+ pound gun.
Sold that gun in the late 80s and all 10ga reloading equipment in the early 90s. There is/was data published for most of these loads, so good luck to all on loading buckshot, it works on deer.
With the new push in defensive buckshot, I plan on loading some new stuff for that and will be using some of the same RBs that I used back then.
I will post any loads that work for me at that time.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I own 4 Kick’s buckickers. 3 for my 12 gauges and 1 for a 20 gauge. I’ve been looking at ordering some of Ballistic Products 31 Cal. Nickel plated “0” buck. My Cheditte prime hauls, MG-42 Wads, buffet came in today. My over shot cards should be here sometime next week. I’ve already got a electric powder scale. I’m going to
roll crimp mine also because I don’t have a star crimper. I’m anxious to get started but my funds aren’t letting me buy all the components all at one time. Lol! Thanks for the info and advice. If you don’t mind can I send you some PMs if I have any questions about any of it?

PM anytime. Be glad to share what I have as I learned a lot from those willing to help but there is a lot that is different from gun to gun (really choke to choke).

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've recently loaded some #00 9 pellet loads over blue dot powder. Haven't got to test them yet, but similar loads have worked well in the past. I'm searching for a source of 3" Remington and Winchester hulls. Haven't found much.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I've recently loaded some #00 9 pellet loads over blue dot powder. Haven't got to test them yet, but similar loads have worked well in the past. I'm searching for a source of 3" Remington and Winchester hulls. Haven't found much.
Precision reloading has several types of once fired 3 inch Remington hulls in stock as well as new Fiocchi 3 inch hulls. I have used alot of their once fired hulls and they have worked well for me.