Reelfoot Lake shooting?

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Absolutely not to discredit anything here, but these aren’t “boys”. They’re my age and and I’ll be 27 in March. I know a ton of absolute friggin morons my age in the waterfowl community that I wouldn’t put above a stunt like this. These aren’t 15 year old boys, they’re in their mid 20s. I’m not saying ANYONE was in the right here, but knowing guys my age, I’m not afraid to put money on something else developing out of this story.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I don’t care if it’s ducks or whatever. That dude that did the shooting wasn’t wrapped too tight in the first place. I’ve never hunted reelfoot. Never will but I hunt the area. Things get escalated quickly over a duck that make any happenings in eastern NC look like a children’s church nursery skirmish. Most guys out there had rather beat your ass to a pulp, burn your blind to the ground or burn your truck. They want you to live just so you’ll remember what happens when you do it. I’ve heard stories that’ll blow your mind over duck hunting out there but I’ve never ever ever heard anyone ever mention wanting to kill somebody over what they did. Dude sounds like a time bomb waiting to go off and apparently, today was his day to explode.
I hunted there. The guides told us the same stories. It’s nuts. We had one get torched two blinds down from us one morning and our guides seemed to know the story as soon as the smoke started.
It’s a shame. For everyone involved and everyone of us sportsmen.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
Any truth to something I was told?
They threatened him when he come over an did not pull the trigger but he did.

All parties had guns!
We will see how it plays out.
Again, not saying anyone was right here, but I can guarantee you that at 70 years old if a couple of 20s pointed guns at my grandpa, he would be pulling the trigger. He’s too old to have guys pointing guns at him anymore. Not to say he would be right, but I know how it would play out if guns were pointed at him first.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I have taken clients to Reelfoot ONCE, 2 years ago and based on what we witnessed while at the ramp we didn't even untie the boat from the trailer. When we pulled into the parking lot, got out to prep the boat and could hear the "discussion" from 50 yards away. I went a little closer and it was about 6 guys arguing over who was going to which blinds and what the others were going to do if they found them in those blinds.

I went back to my clients and stopped them from loading anything else into the boat and we left. I didn't charge for my services and we all ate our expenses and drove home never to return again. I've heard other horror stories since them but nothing to the level of this incident.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
old man going to say the young ones said " I'll/we will fn kill you " so self defense... we'll see.
The state grounds I hunted in Illinois places the blind sites, none closer than 300 yards ,most more .
So shooting at 'someone's ' swinging ducks usually not a problem. Before you go out to blind site you give the DNR person your hunting license and it's hung on a peg that has your blind number. You either claim your blind or there is a draw for any unclaimed blind 1 hour before shooting time . If there was ever a problem you talked to the people or the law when you got in to the station.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Again, not saying anyone was right here, but I can guarantee you that at 70 years old if a couple of 20s pointed guns at my grandpa, he would be pulling the trigger. He’s too old to have guys pointing guns at him anymore. Not to say he would be right, but I know how it would play out if guns were pointed at him first.
Heck at 54 nobody is gonna point a gun at me in the midst of an argument. Its reasonable to assume they intend to do harm. Most people would, it is assault with a deadly weapon and rises to the "fear for my life" justified shooting, but I wouldn't go on the run after I did it. I think there will be alot more to this story but taking off sure makes me question what really happened.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
The word on the streets is it had nothing to do with shooting swings birds. And also that there’s been bad blood all season long and it came to a head yesterday. Still don’t make it any better.

I know several “locals” out there and they will all tell you if you hunt a blind on reelfoot, it either is baited or was baited. I personally don’t care either way but I prefer to shy away from federal tickets. Lol.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Any inbreeding in that area? Something is wrong with some folks in that area. Don't know what happened, but if you point a gun at someone, especially one who is armed, you have immediately put your life at risk. Was he a Vietnam vet?

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I mean I’ve been in some disagreements and stuff especially public land Arkansas and I get being mad over swing ducks or hunting close and I love chasing them as much as the next guy but at the end of the day it’s just a damn duck and ain’t nothing close to being worth taking someone’s life over. There will be more ducks.

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
Absolutely not to discredit anything here, but these aren’t “boys”. They’re my age and and I’ll be 27 in March. I know a ton of absolute friggin morons my age in the waterfowl community that I wouldn’t put above a stunt like this. These aren’t 15 year old boys, they’re in their mid 20s. I’m not saying ANYONE was in the right here, but knowing guys my age, I’m not afraid to put money on something else developing out of this story.

I agree. The older gentleman definitely couldn’t hold his own in a out right scuffle with them. If it was a self defense shooting. Who knows because I’ve seen the same :donk:donk:donk:donk and been involved in a few heated altercations in the impoundments of NC coastal waters and blinds. I was young and blinded by testosterone and grit among being with friends who had each other’s backs. As we all are or were young at some point in life and stood our ground. It’s tragic for sure but I can see where the older guy coulda felt threatened. Not saying it’s justified at all. Just situational. Praying for family’s and friends. We all gotta get along out there or these privileges will be stripped from us all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just glad I only hunt ducks on occasion and do not identify as a "duck hunter". I hate trying to hunt or fish in crowded situations and do my best to avoid such places...mainly because I know someone is bound to aggravate me in some manner, or vice versa. I just don't want or need that kind of drama when I'm trying to relax and enjoy myself.
When somebody insists on encroaching on my spot to the point of aggravation, it's time to pull up stakes and leave, because it's only gong to end in me getting upset and mad, or a confrontation with the intruding party. Either one will ruin an otherwise good day.

AB1620

Button Buck
I agree. The older gentleman definitely couldn’t hold his own in a out right scuffle with them. If it was a self defense shooting. Who knows because I’ve seen the same :donk:donk:donk:donk and been involved in a few heated altercations in the impoundments of NC coastal waters and blinds. I was young and blinded by testosterone and grit among being with friends who had each other’s backs. As we all are or were young at some point in life and stood our ground. It’s tragic for sure but I can see where the older guy coulda felt threatened. Not saying it’s justified at all. Just situational. Praying for family’s and friends. We all gotta get along out there or these privileges will be stripped from us all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange scenario......that we may never know the truth to. Right now they only have the 3rd member of the young party's story who supposedly knocked the guy out. Judging from social media comments/posts (FWIW) the feud had been going on for a few days with the younger guys shooting at ducks the older guy was working. I could completely see a situation where old guy has enough, drives over to give them a piece of his mind, words get exchanged, tempers flare, the young guys 3 on 1 who think they are invincible decide to go after him and this is the result. I could also see where they could have pointed a gun at him thinking they would scare him and he reacted. It's strange that they haven't found the guy yet. Makes me wonder if he didn't take his own life or he fell in the water after being knocked out.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
One would assume if the old man died at the scene there be evidence to lead investigators to that conclusion rather then issuing an APB. If it was self defense the dude kinda blew that by running off. Granted I believe one of the young men killed is the son of a local LEO which if he knew maybe made him fear the locals. Id of contacted someone and got my story out. Dude could of drove off and killed himself. No matter what the real story is its ridiculous to kill anyone over ducks.

la angler

Six Pointer
Let this be a lesson to all no act of hunting is worth this but circumstances can happen fast with no time to think but it seems far too common to have run ins over duck hunting.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Let this be a lesson to all no act of hunting is worth this but circumstances can happen fast with no time to think but it seems far too common to have run ins over duck hunting.

Damn!!! Are duck hunters that freaking stupid, red neck, in bread idiots. I hunt on our place, ran people off that were trespassing. Also ended up becoming very, very good friends with one of the trespassers. Ended up being offered 2 puppies, pointers, good blood, too. He also shares my deer hunting place now. The only one.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just saw a report on another forum that stated that the shooter left the scene in his boat but has not returned to the ramp where his truck and trailer was parked. Like everything else about this incident, I have no idea if this is fact or fiction but the suspect has not been located.

It also stated that one of the victims was the son of the Chief Deputy Sheriff in that county. That appears to be legit.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I have a hard time believing the old man went over there and just started shooting right off the bat. Then again I don't know anyone involved... Tragic

AB1620

Button Buck
What forum would that be? Just curious and wanting to read. As grim reaper said I have a hard time believing he rolled up to the blind and started letting them fly. Especially seeing all of the comments on social media saying they are in disbelief the old man would do that.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Young guys got to blind. Thought no one was in the other blind where old man hunted. No boat or nothing. Young guys shot a bird and one took boat to go get duck and old man shot the kid dead in the boat while kid was retrieving duck. This was out of sight from young guys blind. Other young guy went to check on guy after not returning and old man shot him too. Rest is still sketchy. I mean all of it is really.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Young guys got to blind. Thought no one was in the other blind where old man hunted. No boat or nothing. Young guys shot a bird and one took boat to go get duck and old man shot the kid dead in the boat while kid was retrieving duck. This was out of sight from young guys blind. Other young guy went to check on guy after not returning and old man shot him too. Rest is still sketchy. I mean all of it is really.

That is a new theory. A bit too wild to be believable.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
This story seems a little fishy to me. I think there is much much more to the story than is being told.

That version sounds even less believable than the one above.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This story seems a little fishy to me. I think there is much much more to the story than is being told.

Uh...yeah. He just drives up and politely asks to hunt with them, and they say "sure!". Then he loads his gun and fills them with lead?

Nah.