Red woof attack

odie408

Ten Pointer
An 77 year old lady out for her daily walk was attacked and mauled by some kind of wild animals yesterday. She is in stable but critical condition. Animal control and wildlife officials were on scene most of yesterday and have only said wild animals are responsible. Please have Brenda Hamilton a sweet retired school teacher in your prayers for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

odie408

Ten Pointer
Beaufort co. Pungo community. I just heard from a friend that about 3 or 4 mi. away that people were warned of a rabid woof in the area and if seen to please shoot it. I smell a coverup. My buddies with coyote dogs were call in to hunt the animals down but stoped before they got started. I don't think the biologist wants the public to know what really happened.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did your buds say why they stopped? Maybe they didn't want to take a chance on their dogs dealing with a rabid animal. :unsure:

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Happened about 10 miles from my house. Found yesterday morning in ditch along the path she has walked most of her life each morning. Body was found just down from a dead carcass which had been fed on recently. They think she interrupted them feeding on it and was attacked. She is not responsive so can’t say for sure what happened. Eastcare flew her to vidant Greenville from the scene. Please keep her in your prayers.

CarolinaReaper

Woah, this is actually pretty interesting. Very sad nonetheless, but strange and interesting. Keep us posted guys.

odie408

Ten Pointer
I am trying to find out if the trapper that warned folks of the rabid woof was a fed. or contract trapper. Either way there should have been a public statement posted if true. He told them dogs in the area had been killed and mualed by this animal. A woof collar was tracked 2 miles from the scene yesterday afternoon.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
You'd think if they jumped to the conclusion "wild animals" are responsible, they'd say what kind. I'd guess wild dogs and more likely a pitbull is involved until they say for sure otherwise.

odie408

Ten Pointer
You'd think if they jumped to the conclusion "wild animals" are responsible, they'd say what kind. I'd guess wild dogs and more likely a pitbull is involved until they say for sure otherwise.
They checked the dogs in the area including the pits and said it wasn't dogs. The pits were the first place they went to.

odie408

Ten Pointer
It was a Beaufort co. animal control officer that had warned locals of a rabid woof in the area. I don't know how he knew unless it was from animals that had been attacked. But if he was warning folks of a rabid woof he should have notified the woof people and the public before something like this happened. What about the people he didn't see or talk to?

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
WITN latest:
"Biologists with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission performed some preliminary DNA tests and have eliminated the possibility that any wild animals indigenous to the area were involved in the attack, the Sheriff's Office said."

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
WITN latest:
"Biologists with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission performed some preliminary DNA tests and have eliminated the possibility that any wild animals indigenous to the area were involved in the attack, the Sheriff's Office said."

That sure leaves a big hole. Coy-wolves, coyotes and feral/domestic dogs are not indigenous.

My thoughts about the animal control officer warning people about a rabid wolf is that the owners of the pets saw a large wild canine attacking their animal. This would give reason that there could possibly be a rabid wolf, in the area due to the number of attacks.

Yes, I do smell a cover-up.

odie408

Ten Pointer
I hear her clothes were cut off and bagged to treat her wounds and now the bag of clothes is missing. Fishy...

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
I know that. My point was that if a "wolf" was suspected, DNA recovery from the victims wounds could have confirmed or denied it.

I would think the last thing paramedics were worried about was taking DNA, but to focus all attention on the seconds to stop bleeding that could save her life.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If the animal control officer was going around telling people there was a “rabid” wolf in the area without proof, he should be fired immediately. That is not how you handle those situations. It’s perfectly ok to warn people to be aware of any strange acting animals, but to use the term “rabid”, could put himself and whatever agency he works for liable for the hysteria you can cause. Been there done that, took the classes. You keep your mouth shut till you have proof.

odie408

Ten Pointer
I have talked to one person that said he was told this by animal control and I trusted his word. Then I talked to animal control and he said he had no knowledge of this. I don't know how this story came about but it has been going around the community a couple weeks. I don't mean to be spreading false information and it might or might not be but I have trust in the people I got the info from.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I would think the last thing paramedics were worried about was taking DNA, but to focus all attention on the seconds to stop bleeding that could save her life.
Exactly and they ain't bagging clothes either whoever is leading the investigation is gathering that evidence .