Red woof attack

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can almost bet that certain mastiff type dogs, bulldogs, Bully's or pitbulls could have jaw structure than could meet that 4 inch requirement. The top jaw canines are widely spaced in all those breeds and it seems like there are dogs that meet that description in the area of the tragic event.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Predators that are protected from hunting often become comfortable around humans and associate them as easy prey. Predators that are hunted by humans have a respectful fear of man and will go the other way when given the opportunity. The only general exception to that would be the griz and brown bears. Occasionally you hear about a mountain lion attack in areas they are hunted, but the most common lion attacks are in California where they are protected.

In my opinion, there could be a plausible theory of this attack being coyotes or coywoofs. Their protection status only emboldens them to not fear humans. It is a cycle we have already seen proven with other protected predators.

My personal trail camera data over the last 14 years, over a 4 county region consistently show coyotes traveling together in packs of 3 and 4 animals cruising roads and trails hunting together. My wife and another neighbor have personally been shadowed by 3 coyotes in the city limits while walking their dogs. When I say shadowed, I mean at 30-40 feet. Flanked and walking down a paved street with houses on both sides of the road. If my dog wasn't a 75 lb mean ass, I'm not sure how that would have gone.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Bux has very good point protected wild animals are dangerous wild animals. No matter what did it I sure do feel bad for the lady that was just out for walk

double

Twelve Pointer
How would locals know the difference between a dog attack or a wolf or coyote attack. They are all canines all leave approximately the same track same teeth etc. At the end of the day a dog is basically a dog and a wolf and a coyote are both dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odie408

Ten Pointer
In an aticle in Charlotte observer Pete Benjamin said it almost certainly does not involve woofs, day before no known woofs located in that area flown with telementry search.When was the last time those batteries where replaced? Most of the batteries are more than likely dead. If they haven't tracked one there in the last month or less then there is at least one in that area with a dead battery.

odie408

Ten Pointer
How would locals know the difference between a dog attack or a wolf or coyote attack. They are all canines all leave approximately the same track same teeth etc. At the end of the day a dog is basically a dog and a wolf and a coyote are both dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Google dog v coyote tracks. Many hunters and trappers can tell. The hair they saw most certainly is not any kind of pit or short haired dog. There was collared woofs seen in that area in the last few weeks.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
In an aticle in Charlotte observer Pete Benjamin said it almost certainly does not involve woofs, day before no known woofs located in that area flown with telementry search.When was the last time those batteries where replaced? Most of the batteries are more than likely dead. If they haven't tracked one there in the last month or less then there is at least one in that area with a dead battery.

You are right. The majority of the collars are a farce.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Google dog v coyote tracks. Many hunters and trappers can tell. The hair they saw most certainly is not any kind of pit or short haired dog. There was collared woofs seen in that area in the last few weeks.

Yes, I cant tell the difference now if i was put to the test but when i worked on a farm that had lots of coyotes there was definitely a difference in their tracks.

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Alright already! I have to ask. What the hell is a "woof" Is this code for somthing? I know what a wolf is but never heard of a woof. I know what a hoof is but is there such thing as a holf? Is this like the "you, your, and you're" mistakes or more like the "there, their and they're" mistakes?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Alright already! I have to ask. What the hell is a "woof" Is this code for somthing? I know what a wolf is but never heard of a woof. I know what a hoof is but is there such thing as a holf? Is this like the "you, your, and you're" mistakes or more like the "there, their and they're" mistakes?
The eastern guys can tell you better than me but my understanding is a mix breed that govt stocked as a pure red wolf and put protection on. Easiest thing is go to top of general forum and look at red wolf scandal there is some interesting reading there

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I thought it was just bad spelling!!! LOL

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
The eastern guys can tell you better than me but my understanding is a mix breed that govt stocked as a pure red wolf and put protection on. Easiest thing is go to top of general forum and look at red wolf scandal there is some interesting reading there

IF you start RIGHT NOW, you might finish reading by monday morning lol. That thread describes why some here refuse to call them "wolves". If you have a life, in a nutshell it's because (I think, not positive) that until more DNA results are released, these "wolves" are around 24% yote, AND breeding with yotes, so that % rises by litter?

Mack, Odie explained why he named this thread that way, then retracted as more information became available to him. I tip my hat to him for doing so.

BUX, very enlightening point! I think a story was linked in this thread from "Cary, NC?" regarding aggressive yotes? Obviously a place they are not hunted, and get comfy around humans.

Ron Sutherland presented himself in this thread in a level headed, common sense, rather unbiased opinionated manner and that really spun me for a loop!

Like others, I'm curious to find out what exact critter(s) did this. I hope that comes to light.

JoeR

Eight Pointer

Just a term to describe the canine that was deposited in Eastern NC. It is supposed to be a Red Wolf, but it's not, so folks refer to it as a "woof". In short, it is a canine selectively bred in a zoo to look like a Red Wolf.
Joe

odie408

Ten Pointer
The plot thickens, just heard there was a collared red woof caught in the last couple days in that area. Guess what, the batteries were dead when it was turned over to gw.

odie408

Ten Pointer
My friends that were there say the tracks were canine as best they could tell, but from what I have been told was the girl that found her turned her pit bull out of the house because it was making a fuss and it took off down the driveway. she saw a flashlight and followed in the car. saw what had happened and went back to get her husband. What's to say the tracks aren't the pit checking out the scene. I know all this is speculation on my part, and just like the rest of the neighborhood I'm just trying to put together what happened. I took a walk down in that swamp yesterday hoping to see something that would give us some answers,but nothing.
These pits may have stopped the woof attack.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I assumed the term "woof" was assigned to these animals because "woofing" is a loose term meaning a joke or lie. As in "you're woofing me"!! That's a common term where I come from.......

But the term is not as important as the fact that a lady lost her life in a horrible way. ?

ron.sutherland2

Four Pointer
I think waiting for the DNA tests to come back is the safest bet here. If it does turn out to be a dog or dogs, I hope they are able to find those animals, or otherwise the conspiracy theories will just run wild. I could argue the same thing in reverse, that given the animosity towards the red wolf program, it would be tempting to pin this attack on them to score major political points. But instead I guess I am just going to have to trust that in a serious law enforcement investigation like this that no one is messing around.

As much as I love dogs, it is worth reiterating how common fatal and near-fatal dog attacks are: https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...ors-say/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e70ddd7e5313

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
I think waiting for the DNA tests to come back is the safest bet here. If it does turn out to be a dog or dogs, I hope they are able to find those animals, or otherwise the conspiracy theories will just run wild. I could argue the same thing in reverse, that given the animosity towards the red wolf program, it would be tempting to pin this attack on them to score major political points. But instead I guess I am just going to have to trust that in a serious law enforcement investigation like this that no one is messing around.

As much as I love dogs, it is worth reiterating how common fatal and near-fatal dog attacks are: https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...ors-say/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e70ddd7e5313

Reading the SC article I'm surprised that lady passed away. I've never feared bears or yotes, but I do fear pit bulls. Reading the wiki article, they basically account for 3 out of 4 of fatal dog attacks every year.