"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When you suppress your opinion and keep your silence on these 177, 223 or 300 subjects people have no clue exactly what is actually happening to reduce the population. Better to keep silent and carry a big bang stick.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
We just saw a new release or a newly collared critter on our farm next to Rose Acre Egg Farm. Big, leggy coyote looking thing, but probably in the 50# range. Had a new, bright orange color with a transmitter the size of a softball.

ron.sutherland2

Four Pointer
Yes Mike per the public's request they are putting orange collars on all of the wolves they catch and release, about half of the wolves have them so far. So if you see a wild-looking canid with an orange collar, it is safe to say it is a red wolf.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I didn't think nc had red woofs, I have read every post on this site and others and still have not found any evidence that a red woofs exist in NC . Complete bull :donk:donk:donk:donk . Stop invading the landowners Rights and keep whatever you want to call those mutts on government flooded land as promised

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes Mike per the public's request they are putting orange collars on all of the wolves they catch and release, about half of the wolves have them so far. So if you see a wild-looking canid with an orange collar, it is safe to say it is a red wolf.

So there's six of the 12 hybrids with collars and all are in the ARNWR?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

In other words, you have released mix breed animals (again) that have been classified as what you wish them to be, while trampling on the rights of property owners? Would that be anything close to an accurate assessment?
The crap you and your group continue to play on our neighbors in the east is getting old and is beyond overplayed. Find a location you would be welcomed, if that is possible, and relocate your fake animals there. North Carolina has never had them and the citizens of our state, for the most part, do not want them here.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

Is that like the banding program for waterfowl or fish tagging program? Call it in after your hunt for a certificate/reward?

I’ve been reading about this off and on and I get the whole idea but there are more bad things that this can bring than good. I’ve known for years now that the reason the coyotes here in NC and a few other states are so much bigger than their western cousins is because they have small amounts of red wolf dna in their genes. Now that being known there is no way to count the true number of breeding pairs because it’s already known that the red wolf will cross breed with a coyote and other stray dogs. This project could have very long lasting complications for wild life in NC. Idk why they can’t take a vote of the people who live in the counties where they were released and see if they want them there. Not just the opinion of a few people who probably dont live anywhere near those areas. I’ve seen what coyotes can do to wildlife and live stock and knowing that imagine what a 100 pound plus coyote would do ya know? And one more thing, the bright orange in their collars kinda reminds me of the bright orange bullseye on my targets. Just saying...

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
Short term actions on your property
To: Jett Ferebee <jettferebee@aol.com>
Cc: Jeffrey Fleming <jeffrey_m_fleming@fws.gov>; Gordon S. Myers <gordon.myers@ncwildlife.org>; David Rabon <david_rabon@fws.gov>
Date: Fri, May 17, 2013 7:39 pm
Dear Jett,

After discussing with staff we were able to put together a quick short term action plan. Please find a proposed method to remove wolves from your property. As discussed last Tuesday, we understand that this is a short-term and unsustainable method, but will be implemented until a longer-term solution is developed. Also, we are only trapping on your property. Obviously, some of the unanswered questions will need to be resolved in the coming weeks, but for now, we will at least attempt to remove the known wolves (there are 3 animals in the area) that use your property.

We will need confirmation that we have your permission to enter your property and your contact information so the field biologists can contact you (or your manager) early next week to coordinate the access and activities on your property.

Our immediate goal is to only remove the wolves in that pack (3 known wolves) from your property. We will begin the process next week sometime, after getting approval to access your property. We will keep the wolves at Sandy Ridge (our holding facility at Alligator River NWR) until we can decide what to do with them for the long-term. Due to safety considerations, we will stop trapping when the temperatures consistently exceed 85 degrees. We will continue monitoring the site once the three wolves are captured, at least on a weekly basis, but we will not trap as long as the temperatures are consistently above 85 degrees. If we are successful in capturing the three wolves, then we can complete the trapping component in the next couple of weeks. There are a number of unanswered questions that will need to be addressed for the not so distant future, though. We mentioned a few of these during our meeting last Tuesday. We will coordinate with Gordon and his staff and our staff on these.

I have copied Dr. David Rabon, our recovery program coordinator so he can get your contact information and permission to work on your property. If you have any questions please let us know.

Once again, thank you for your time last Tuesday and your openness to discuss these very complicated issues.

Sincerely,

Leo

Leopoldo "Leo" Miranda
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Assistant Regional Director, Ecological Services
Southeast U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands
1875 Century Boulevard
Atlanta, GA 30345

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
I don't understand why they would release such a predator? I just moved from a state that F&W would stock tiger muskies in the same lakes that they would stock trout. Makes no sense to me what so ever. Not to mention they are total devastation on sun fish, bass and other pan fish and are horrible eating. IMO, there are way too many predators these days.

Jett

Ten Pointer
These are arrogant individuals who are empowered by their positions of authority to pursue their own personal agenda. Their actions have now illegally migrated from Government land only, to now our private land. This is wrong and has been facilitated by the use of Sue and Settle tactics between USFWS anti hunting operatives and their non profit accomplices.

The fake red wolf program is nothing but an anti hunting agenda and a cash cow for some liberal non profit groups and their attorneys. It is quite an industry for these two groups. It is truly sickening.

Last edited:

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"Our immediate goall is to only remove the wolves in that pack (3 known wolves) from your property."

And that statement would give me pause. We all know they have a history that is questionable at best, seemingly stepping into the illegal realm at times. The wording of this sentence would make me wonder exactly what is their FUTURE GOAL, once they have secured permission to trespass on your property.... or, I may just have negative feelings of such a stellar organization.... :unsure:

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I don't understand why they would release such a predator? I just moved from a state that F&W would stock tiger muskies in the same lakes that they would stock trout. Makes no sense to me what so ever. Not to mention they are total devastation on sun fish, bass and other pan fish and are horrible eating. IMO, there are way too many predators these days.

Fish are released to be caught by fishermen, that’s it. At least the tiger musky is sterile.

Status
Not open for further replies.